If not the T3 TDI, then what? - Page 6 - Club Touareg Forums
 127Likes

post #51 of 517 Old 07-28-2016

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickm View Post
I'm loving my new f150. Shockingly good levels of ride quality and refinement. The doors close like a German vehicles do, the window motors are absolutely silent and ride quality is unreal. If you are a detail oriented person, then you owe yourself some time in a top trim f150. There are numerous details that would impress most treg owners...rear locking differential is available with the fx4 package, has both electronic lock and manual lock. All aluminum body keeps things a bit exotic.

I still prefer an SUV as a daily driver (a sedan makes no sense at all to me) so if VW doesn't offer up diesels I sure hope they will send us a nice "oops" check so I can get into a RRS td6. I had a q7 tdi on a deposit, but there is no end in sight so I just got my money back.
glad you're enjoying the F150. ecoboost? i had looked at ford's webpage a while back and unless i was misreading, it looked like the tow capacity was less at the hitch than the treg, unless you used a WDH (the only way to get the big tow capacities). i tow an aluminum trailex race car trailer and WDH is a no no.

agree with others, VW really screwed this up. when thinking about it, there's little that competes with the treg. i would consider Q7, and RR sport is nice but scares the hell out of me, reliability wise.

'07 Porsche 997TT
'04 Porsche 996 Race car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 517 Old 07-28-2016 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2015 V6 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeyer View Post
This thread is depressing and wish we weren't even thinking about this. VW just had to go and ruin a great thing that so many of us love due to their lack of hubris. Unfortunately if the diesel settlement for the 3.0 does go down in a similar way as the 2.0 I think the deal may be too good to not take (pre scandal buyback and cash which I assume would be $10k+ considering the significantly higher 3.0 vehicle values in comparison to 2.0) and it'll be a hard decision to make for many of us.
I agree, it is sort of depressing, but only if there is a scenario where we have to give up our TDI's although the likelihood of it happening is slim.

The only way I'll give up my TDI is if the possible buyback deal is too good to pass up, it is why I started the thread.

In all the posts, there is nothing that is as good as the T3 TDI. The only comparable is the Range Rover diesel that starts at like $85,000. Nothing else can tow the 7,000+ lbs that I need to tow.

The Canyon Duramax is a lot slower than the T3 TDI and I'm not all that much a fan of the GJCherokee with the EcoDiesel and don't want or need the size of the Ram 1500. Funny, now that I have the TDI, the only other vehicle I will consider is another diesel.
post #53 of 517 Old 07-28-2016
Administrator

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
M
Quote:
Originally Posted by E55AMG View Post
glad you're enjoying the F150. ecoboost? i had looked at ford's webpage a while back and unless i was misreading, it looked like the tow capacity was less at the hitch than the treg, unless you used a WDH (the only way to get the big tow capacities). i tow an aluminum trailex race car trailer and WDH is a no no.

agree with others, VW really screwed this up. when thinking about it, there's little that competes with the treg. i would consider Q7, and RR sport is nice but scares the hell out of me, reliability wise.
I bought the 5.0 litre with 3.73 gears. Tow capacity is 10,800 and max tongue weight is 1,220 lbs. it also has a backup knob on the dash which guides the trailer backwards for you with no hands on steering wheel, the camera has integrated trailer ball guide which helps you back up directly below the tongue every time, has an integrated brake controller from the factory, also has specialized stability control modes and electronic auto rear locking differential (which can be locked manually from the dash) The hitch is integrated as a cross member in the frame hence the high tongue weight capacity. The rear cam can be manually turned on to view your hitch setup at any speed, and there are built in 4 and 7 pin electrical connections. Finally it also has low range transfer box in case you need to get up a very steep ramp. Payload is in excess of 2200 lbs.

The Touareg is a fine tow machine. but this is a completely different league of towing ability and capabilities. Not comparable in any way.

If VW is going mass market with the cross blue and really does intend on keeping the Touareg alive, I really hope it's a version with air suspension and proper 4x bits underneath to make it a genuine Land Rover competitor again.
Oregon TDI likes this.

-------------------------------------------------
2013 Touareg TDI Black Pearl / Titan Black
--PREVIOUS TOUAREGS:
'09 TDI, '07 V8 FSI, '04 V10 TDI, '04 VR6

post #54 of 517 Old 07-29-2016

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
i've been searching autotrader/craigslist like crazy to see if there's anything out there. not having much luck. i'll probably just make it a 2 for 1 and pick up an older truck and then a gti to drive daily. but it'll still be a hard decision to give up the treg. i think knowing they'll head to the crusher makes it even worse.
post #55 of 517 Old 08-03-2016

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is jealous
I had the chance to drive my sisters new Volvo XC90 T6 yesterday. Really nice vehicle inside and out.
PROS - Handled better then my touareg tdi. Not as much body roll through turns. Really really good suspension, made me think she got the air suspension but she didn't. Much nicer navigation system/entertainment system, but this is to be expected due to the touaregs outdated system.

CONS - torque, or lack there of. Really have to hit the gas and get the RPMs up to move it, but felt reasonably fast when prompted. MADE IN CHINA!

2016 TDI Lux w/DA Moonlight Blue Pearl
post #56 of 517 Old 08-03-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2009 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
My sisters XC90 does the same thing. I road with her on a recent trip. On a rolling hills it would down shift on every single hill, engine screaming the whole way! Annoying.

-Bill-
'09 VW Touareg 2 TDI Tow Hitch
'11 Silverado Duramax Diesel SB Crew LTZ
post #57 of 517 Old 08-03-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by samotreg View Post
I had the chance to drive my sisters new Volvo XC90 T6 yesterday. Really nice vehicle inside and out.
PROS - Handled better then my touareg tdi. Not as much body roll through turns. Really really good suspension, made me think she got the air suspension but she didn't. Much nicer navigation system/entertainment system, but this is to be expected due to the touaregs outdated system.

CONS - torque, or lack there of. Really have to hit the gas and get the RPMs up to move it, but felt reasonably fast when prompted. MADE IN CHINA!
Thankfully, it's not made in China. It's still manufactured in Sweden. The only Chinese-built Volvo you can currently buy here in the US is the S60L. Of course XC90 profits still go to Chinese parent Geely, so feel free to rant about that as much as you'd like. I certainly have.

I do like the XC90 quite a bit. I'd like it even more if they would have paired the turbo I-6 with the 8-speed and put more physical controls in the center stack. Considering the level of luxury, it's an incredible bargain compared to the Germans.

Rod

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2017 GLC300
2016 GTI
post #58 of 517 Old 08-04-2016
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
I intend to keep my Touareg TDI for another 7 years, minimum. Hell, I might even park it after purchasing another vehicle. I really would only need the Touareg for towing duties at that point. My hope is that during this 7 year wait, the vehicle manufacturers will improve and/or perfect hybrid and electric technology. I simply don't want or need a pure electric car unless it's convenient to own. RANGE (towing?), charging time, and price need to be significantly improved before I would bite.

A diesel/electric hybrid seems like the best combination. Good mileage, power, and possibly low emissions (if they can DEF and filter it correctly). I would definitely purchase a similar SUV to the Touareg if it could still tow 7700+ pounds, AWD, and get over 30mpg. Except for the Touareg and the other VW cousins, no other SUV does that yet and has the towing performance. (The EcoDiesel Jeep is never going to get a chance to be in my garage, Chrysler has low interior quality, and terrible reliability, and I never venture off road so what's the point.)

I guess I may have had a different criteria than most buyers when I purchased my Touareg TDI, but I was primarily interested in an AWD SUV that could tow effortlessly, and deliver much better fuel economy than my previous gas powered SUV. And the Touareg TDI was that vehicle choice.

SO far, the out of pocket repairs have not been altogether bad for 3 years of ownership. But this is because I purchased an extended warranty, which is probably needed for any vehicle approaching $50K or more. They are just too expensive to repair. I'll be closely watching the repair $$$ through the years, and much of the regular maintenance I will start performing myself (brakes, fluid changes and the like).

My perfect SUV would be a 6 cylinder diesel-hybrid, 40+mpg highway, AWD, and tow rating 8000+ and 1200 tongue. That would make many different toy hauler bumper pull trailers a possibility.
post #59 of 517 Old 08-04-2016

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodW View Post
Thankfully, it's not made in China. It's still manufactured in Sweden. The only Chinese-built Volvo you can currently buy here in the US is the S60L. Of course XC90 profits still go to Chinese parent Geely, so feel free to rant about that as much as you'd like. I certainly have.

I do like the XC90 quite a bit. I'd like it even more if they would have paired the turbo I-6 with the 8-speed and put more physical controls in the center stack. Considering the level of luxury, it's an incredible bargain compared to the Germans.
Read recently that Geely has invested hundreds of millions of dollars into their engine factory alone. i also like it but it does appear to be underpowered. on the other hand you are correct - for the level of luxury and what you get it seems quite the bargain compared to others in its class.

like the RR but price is into the 80's. went on to one of the RR forums and seemed as if every other thread had to do with issues - some minor some not. i know you see that here but it seemed worse on the RR site. No one is more of a porsche fan than me (own a porsche race car) but a cayenne S will be into the 90's!! that's crazy. if had to replace today would probably go with Q7. i don't tow as much anymore (maybe 6-8 times a year now) so not as much of an issue. at some point i'm sure that will go down to zero when i get rid of the car. if that were to happen the XC-90 would get a look.

i know folks have mentioned the engine in the volvo but if i'm not mistaken it's 315 HP vs Audi's 333 but the volvo weighs about 400 lbs less than the Q. i know the audi has more torque but don't recall the exact numbers.

'07 Porsche 997TT
'04 Porsche 996 Race car
post #60 of 517 Old 08-04-2016

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
The turbo 4 engines certainly have decent HP/TQ numbers, but the gas mileage difference is barely worth it. The manufacturers might be able to fool the EPA numbers, but in the real world, the savings are minimal. Running a gas turbo 4 in an SUV that is going to be loaded up with people and luggage is not on our target list.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

« 2019 Touareg | - »
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode