If not the T3 TDI, then what? - Page 5 - Club Touareg Forums
 140Likes

post #41 of 580 Old 07-25-2016
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Garage
^^Ford has become world class in the last five years. They keep getting better and better.
The Following User Says Thank You to nickyt For This Useful Post:
nickm (07-26-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 580 Old 07-25-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2009 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
I look forward to seeing the reviews of the new Ford F-150 with a 3.0 Diesel engine and a 10 speed transmission. Apparently, they are roomers of some impressive mileage.

-Bill-
'09 VW Touareg 2 TDI Tow Hitch
'11 Silverado Duramax Diesel SB Crew LTZ
post #43 of 580 Old 07-26-2016
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickm View Post
I'm loving my new f150. ... *snip*
My father has a 2009 or 2010 F150 SuperCrew with the old Triton V8...it is a nice highway vehicle and it is enormous inside. He tows an ATV for trips to shoot sporting clays all over the southeast, so he's up and down Appalachian hills with it. It's a nice utility vehicle and very comfortable. The problem is, they've grown so big they barely fit in a standard garage, and I refuse to leave my cars in the driveway...that just encourages junk collection.

They also have an MB ML350 Bluetec as their "town car" - that's as quiet as the Treg and nicely equipped - the cup holders can hold a full-sized Nalgene water bottle, which I think is awesome, but must have driven ze Germans crazy in trying to fit them in the center console. I remember my 2001 Audi had one dash-mounted pop-out cup holder that could hold a small Red Bull can and that was about it. Ah, progress....

That said, I like a little performance in my cars, and over the last 24 hours or so I've really started to lust after the F-Pace, but the RR Sport still tugs at my inner Livingstone.

post #44 of 580 Old 07-26-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is jealous
Garage
I have seen a few examples of the F Pace running around the area. Very nice looking vehicle. 5300lb towing would be enough for me. Not sure if I would go with the 4-cyl diesel or the Supercharged gas motor. I would want to drive an example of each first. I like the fact that it has the trailer specific stability like the Treg. My biggest concern would be wiring up my Tekonsha P3. There doesn't seem to be any information on setting up a brake controller on the F Pace. If the VW / court proceedings and buy back take long enough, maybe there will be more information out there by then.

Ridgeline / Pilot / MDX might all be workable as well, although the Ridgeline will be a squeeze to fit in my garage.
Used Cayanne S or new gas Treg would be on the list. The Treg might be a good way to go to avoid the tax on the trade in value.
Colorado / Canyon might be OK, but would want to drive one first. Sounds like the ride and NVH might not make for a very nice vehicle to take trips in. Also pretty much too big for the garage.

Too bad the Q5 is only rated for 4400lb. That is a little light and frankly I despise the local Audi stealer-ship.

Best case for me is still keeping the Treg TDI. Nothing else is everything I want in a vehicle, although the F-Pace may be very close.

2013 TDI Lux. Northern Virginia, USA. 2007 Aprilia Tuono, 2003 Yamaha R1, 2001 Mustang GT Conv, 2009 A4 3.2
post #45 of 580 Old 07-26-2016
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Interior of F-Pace is very good.

2017 Porsche Macan
2012 Touareg TDI Exec (Cool Silver/Anthracite) | Warning Triangle | Auto Hold Switch
2007 Touareg V8 FSI (old) | 2006 Passat 3.6L Sport 1 (old) | 2003 Passat GLX (old)
post #46 of 580 Old 07-27-2016
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickm View Post
I'm loving my new f150. Shockingly good levels of ride quality and refinement. The doors close like a German vehicles do, the window motors are absolutely silent and ride quality is unreal. If you are a detail oriented person, then you owe yourself some time in a top trim f150. There are numerous details that would impress most treg owners...rear locking differential is available with the fx4 package, has both electronic lock and manual lock. All aluminum body keeps things a bit exotic.

I still prefer an SUV as a daily driver (a sedan makes no sense at all to me) so if VW doesn't offer up diesels I sure hope they will send us a nice "oops" check so I can get into a RRS td6. I had a q7 tdi on a deposit, but there is no end in sight so I just got my money back.
Congrats on the new F150. I need a 3rd row option, and would consider the Q7, but on TDI - for who know when and if ever again - its a no go. Maybe a GLS.

mpm T2 TDI
'10 T2 TDI Galapagos - premium tech, lux, 4C air, hitch, RSE, Conner running boards
'97 993 twin turbo polar silver - bone stock
'80 GT3R 'yellow bird' - 2200 pounds and 362 hp of P-car fun
post #47 of 580 Old 07-27-2016

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is jealous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stabone33 View Post
There is very little on the market that provides the all-around capability and driving dynamics with the level of luxury that the Touareg provides at the same price point. My VW dealer is also a Mazda dealer, and I have absolutely no interest in a Mazda CX -- the engines are boring, the interiors are bland and cheap-feeling - suitable for a suburban soccer mom on a budget, perhaps. An MDX is an overpriced, badge-engineered CRV. The 4Runner is a capable body-on-frame SUV but the engine choices and option packaging from Toyota are befuddlingly bass-ackwards and the fuel economy and on-road performance are terrible - that's a vehicle that needs the diesel of its overseas Hilux cousin for sure. And it's pug-f'ugly.

The Touareg was always an upmarket SUV, but had much broader market coverage. If the T3 TDI was on the market today, it would be over $60K loaded after tax. The level of luxury in a RR Sport is the same as a much higher-priced competitors from Porsche or Lexus, or even Toyota Land Cruiser - which *starts* at $83K, and the RR is far more capable off-road than any of them. The Jag has awesome style and tech for less than a comparable Q5, with better on-road performance. It does offer a selectable drive mode that would make soft-roading possible, but it's not really a true off-roader like the T2 or the RR.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit diesel comparatively equipped is around $60K, but I don't think I'd buy an FCA product right now.
Correction the MDX is an overpriced, badge engineered Pilot.

2016 TDI Lux w/DA Moonlight Blue Pearl
post #48 of 580 Old 07-27-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

This thread is depressing and wish we weren't even thinking about this. VW just had to go and ruin a great thing that so many of us love due to their lack of hubris. Unfortunately if the diesel settlement for the 3.0 does go down in a similar way as the 2.0 I think the deal may be too good to not take (pre scandal buyback and cash which I assume would be $10k+ considering the significantly higher 3.0 vehicle values in comparison to 2.0) and it'll be a hard decision to make for many of us.
lml999 and skyfree like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to rmeyer For This Useful Post:
BenTDI (07-28-2016)
post #49 of 580 Old 07-27-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpm T2 TDI View Post
Congrats on the new F150. I need a 3rd row option, and would consider the Q7, but on TDI - for who know when and if ever again - its a no go. Maybe a GLS.
I'm interested to see the new Expedition based on the latest F150. For those looking for a 3rd row, off road ability, towing and good interior it would probably be a good option. Unfortunately for this of us who don't need the 3rd row, something midsized, and a more sporting demeanor it doesn't fit the bill.
The Following User Says Thank You to rmeyer For This Useful Post:
nickm (07-31-2016)
post #50 of 580 Old 07-27-2016

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Well, I'm glad I kept my two old cars. I'll take the money and drive my 1995 XJ 2-door 4.0L 5 speed or my 1985 190D 5-speed.

All these options suck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode