If not the T3 TDI, then what? - Page 30 - Club Touareg Forums
 115Likes

post #291 of 472 Old 01-11-2017
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
I like the two-tone seats on the Wolfsburg. Look better in-person. Black headliner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 Touareg TDI Exec (Cool Silver/Anthracite) | Aluminum Pedal Covers | Warning Triangle | Euro Mats | Auto Hold Switch
2007 Touareg V8 FSI (old) | 2006 Passat 3.6L Sport 1 (old) | 2003 Passat GLX (old)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #292 of 472 Old 01-11-2017
Touareg Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodW View Post
Maybe not. But who does? What is the target market? Because there is no denying that the T3 has been met with a collective yawn from the general buying public, too. Porsche sells nearly four times as many Cayennes. That's incomprehensible to me.

It's a great vehicle, but at the end of the day it's still a Volkswagen. A $50,000+ VW! It has a basic warranty, and dealers aren't even required to offer loaner vehicles. I appreciate the lack of pretension myself, but for that kind of money, you know some owners expect more.

This, to me, would be the sole reason not to bring the next-gen Touareg here. For those who don't get it when it comes to the Touareg, discussion of getting into one is a non-starter due to the badge and price.

The brand does not have the cache to match the pricing for most buyers.
BenTDI and HotRodW like this.

2012 Touareg TDI Exec (Cool Silver/Anthracite) | Aluminum Pedal Covers | Warning Triangle | Euro Mats | Auto Hold Switch
2007 Touareg V8 FSI (old) | 2006 Passat 3.6L Sport 1 (old) | 2003 Passat GLX (old)
post #293 of 472 Old 01-11-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Quote:
Maybe not. But who does? What is the target market? Because there is no denying that the T3 has been met with a collective yawn from the general buying public, too. Porsche sells nearly four times as many Cayennes. That's incomprehensible to me.
Did Porsche sell four times as many Cayenne Diesels as VW sold Touareg TDIs (during the same time period)?

Mike

post #294 of 472 Old 01-11-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerMikeTX View Post
Did Porsche sell four times as many Cayenne Diesels as VW sold Touareg TDIs (during the same time period)?
Good question. I would expect Porsche to sell a lower percentage of TDI's. I used to reference an article by Car and Driver that showed diesel sales stats by model. Both the Touareg and Q7 were around 50%, but I cannot recall what Porsche's numbers were. I have tried to find the article, but neither Google or Car and Driver's search tool are returning any relevant hits. I'd be interested in seeing the numbers myself if anybody can find them.

Rod

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2017 GLC300
2016 GTI
post #295 of 472 Old 01-11-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Good question. I would expect Porsche to sell a lower percentage of TDI's. I used to reference an article by Car and Driver that showed diesel sales stats by model. Both the Touareg and Q7 were around 50%, but I cannot recall what Porsche's numbers were. I have tried to find the article, but neither Google or Car and Driver's search tool are returning any relevant hits. I'd be interested in seeing the numbers myself if anybody can find them.
Living in the 4th largest city in the U.S., I see a lot more Porsche Cayennes driving around than I see VW Touaregs. However, almost none of the Cayennes are diesels (easy to spot by the "diesel" script on the front fender), while a lot/most of the Touaregs have a TDI emblem on the back (50% would not surprise me).

Mike
post #296 of 472 Old 01-11-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Porsche has 13,000 Cayennes involved in the emissions complaint. They sell about 16,000 units per year, and sold the diesel from 2013 - 2015. The only year where they broke out the percentage of diesels was in 2013 when they reported 29% of Cayennes sold were diesels.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to buckwheat For This Useful Post:
BeemerMikeTX (01-11-2017), fincher (01-11-2017), HotRodW (01-11-2017)
post #297 of 472 Old 01-11-2017
Administrator

Second Vehicle: too many to list
Cachet sells a lot more than capability, for example, Nobody drops 10k on a watch because its got capability. The appeal of the Touareg was Range Rover capability (arguably) without the cost of cachet. For around 600,000 or so new buyers around the world, and all reasearch points to none of that volume cannabilizing sales from Q7 or Cayenne.

If one wants capability and cachet you can get a Porsche Cayenne. The fact that they sell so many more Cayennes than touaregs indicates how superficial the world is or, how much cachet is valued.
fincher, Mythdoc and BenTDI like this.

-------------------------------------------------
2013 Touareg TDI Black Pearl / Titan Black
--PREVIOUS TOUAREGS:
'09 TDI, '07 V8 FSI, '04 V10 TDI, '04 VR6
post #298 of 472 Old 01-11-2017
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickm View Post
Cachet sells a lot more than capability, for example, Nobody drops 10k on a watch because its got capability. The appeal of the Touareg was Range Rover capability (arguably) without the cost of cachet. For around 600,000 or so new buyers around the world, and all reasearch points to none of that volume cannabilizing sales from Q7 or Cayenne.

If one wants capability and cachet you can get a Porsche Cayenne. The fact that they sell so many more Cayennes than touaregs indicates how superficial the world is or, how much cachet is valued.
Yep, a lot of Cayennes were bought as a second P-Car for the family...

When it was introduced, my hand wss in the air saying it looked like Hyundai Santa Fe, it would wreck the brand, and they really needed another product it should be a sports sedan or allroad type avant...

Man was I wrong...about the wrecking the brand thing. Financially, it saved Porsche and those renenues were levered to almost buy VW.

My T2 purchase was, in part, a value play display to all the Cayennes I see on the road. Especially when our TDIs were not available in a Porsche.
nickm likes this.

mpm T2 TDI
'10 T2 TDI Galapagos - premium tech, lux, 4C air, hitch, RSE, Conner running boards
'97 993 twin turbo polar silver - bone stock
'80 GT3R 'yellow bird' - 2200 pounds and 362 hp of P-car fun
post #299 of 472 Old 01-11-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Did anybody try Toyota 4Runner Limited since it is available with AWD good for New England winters I think. Land Rover Discovery5 looks good but those 20 inch wheels with "rubber bands" keeps me off since I need some tire. Jeep Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk would be ok but still no diesel available. Some people say Jeep brakes a lot but so I heard about Touareg before I bought it. Is it really that bad or you can enjoy it? JGC center console made of "aluminium" looking plastic also looks off to me. Gues have to fix addblue issue in my Touareg and keep looking for something I can drive and enjoy.

2010 V6 TDI galapagos on steel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 1.8T 4MO 5M Passat Wagon
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #300 of 472 Old 01-11-2017 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Second Vehicle: 2015 V6 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrsusCT View Post
Did anybody try Toyota 4Runner Limited since it is available with AWD good for New England winters I think. Land Rover Discovery5 looks good but those 20 inch wheels with "rubber bands" keeps me off since I need some tire. Jeep Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk would be ok but still no diesel available. Some people say Jeep brakes a lot but so I heard about Touareg before I bought it. Is it really that bad or you can enjoy it? JGC center console made of "aluminium" looking plastic also looks off to me. Gues have to fix addblue issue in my Touareg and keep looking for something I can drive and enjoy.
I have three female co-workers that all have a 2014+ Cherokee's and they all have been in the shop multiple times for different things. They call them warning lights, CEL's, overheating issues, transmission problems. I never want to tell them that the vehicle that they feel is so capable when it is running, is considered one of the top 10 most unreliable vehicles on the road.

Funny as they plan on keeping them for a long time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode