If not the T3 TDI, then what? - Page 29 - Club Touareg Forums
 143Likes

post #281 of 584 Old 01-11-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodW View Post
Maybe. But let's be honest ... even Touareg owners aren't shopping the Touareg any more. Some were lost with the release of the T3, and others when the TDI died.
If that's true, it's not because of the Touareg's design. IF I was in the market for a replacement SUV, AND VW still sold a diesel Touareg, I would be shopping for it. It was/is essentially a cheaper alternative to a Porsche Cayenne. The T3 version was actually a plus for me. I always considered the T1/T2 versions (and the Cayenne/Q7 counterparts) to be overly complex and heavy. I don't plan to drive my Touareg in the Dakar Rally or the Rubicon so I don't need all of that off-road capability.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #282 of 584 Old 01-11-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfree View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stabone33 View Post
Sounds great, but the article is already wrong. The new Discovery is getting the V6 diesel.
In the US it is, but this is a UK blog. They'll likely make the swap mid-cycle once it's approved for US sales. It will go in relatively quickly in Europe...Even with VW's shenanigans they apparently haven't changed the way they certify.

May also have been a typo...Maybe they meant the next Defender?
post #283 of 584 Old 01-11-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerMikeTX View Post
If that's true, it's not because of the Touareg's design. IF I was in the market for a replacement SUV, AND VW still sold a diesel Touareg, I would be shopping for it. It was/is essentially a cheaper alternative to a Porsche Cayenne. The T3 version was actually a plus for me. I always considered the T1/T2 versions (and the Cayenne/Q7 counterparts) to be overly complex and heavy. I don't plan to drive my Touareg in the Dakar Rally or the Rubicon so I don't need all of that off-road capability.
The T3 was more to my liking, too, but based on my experiences on this forum, we are in the minority. A 2016 TDI is still on my list, but I'm not interested in the VR6 gasser. If they were to put VW's long-rumored 3.0L turbo in there (or the Q7's Supercharged 3.0), I'd take a serious look. Otherwise it's a leftover/pre-owned TDI or another brand altogether. I can own and maintain a well-equipped JGC Hemi or MKX 2.7T for less than a VR6 Touareg, and enjoy the drive a whole lot more. Even the Q7 is a better value IMO.
BenTDI likes this.

Rod

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2017 GLC300
2016 GTI

post #284 of 584 Old 01-11-2017
Touareg Addict

Quote:
Just got my (last?) NY inspection, and there was a white/black leather Wolfsburg 2017 with ACC, and the new driver assist options. The seats are impressive. The blacked out wheels were very cool.

All its missing is a TDI power plant and 4CAir. Like MB and Chrysler, VW should offer an off road option.

Like race cars sell road cars, a loaded, purposeful Touareg will find buyers and help sell base versions.

mpm T2 TDI
'10 T2 TDI Galapagos - premium tech, lux, 4C air, hitch, RSE, Conner running boards
'97 993 twin turbo polar silver - bone stock
'80 GT3R 'yellow bird' - 2200 pounds and 362 hp of P-car fun
post #285 of 584 Old 01-11-2017 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2015 V6 TDI
Ironic that VW has gotten me hooked on TDI but won't be having them anymore(VW's fault0, at least according to someone from VW that had said so in the news the other day.

I won't even consider a Touareg or Cayenne without a TDI.

My next vehicle will be a diesel though, that part is non-negotiable for me.

I'm most likely going to take my buyback money and put it on a new Canyon Denali with a Duramax. If something comes out that is better down the road with a turbodiesel that can tow the 7,000 lbs I need it to, I might get that. What I have realized in this thread is that new stuff is coming out all the time but putting off buying something in the hope that something will happen is a waste of my precious time when I will need something right away and VW is giving me the gift to make it happen immediately.
BeemerMikeTX likes this.
post #286 of 584 Old 01-11-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Quote:
The T3 was more to my liking, too, but based on my experiences on this forum, we are in the minority.
I'm not sure the people on this forum represent a statistical cross-section of the potential buyers for NEW Touaregs.

Mike
post #287 of 584 Old 01-11-2017 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Second Vehicle: 2015 V6 TDI
Quote:
The T3 was more to my liking, too, but based on my experiences on this forum, we are in the minority. A 2016 TDI is still on my list, but I'm not interested in the VR6 gasser. If they were to put VW's long-rumored 3.0L turbo in there (or the Q7's Supercharged 3.0), I'd take a serious look. Otherwise it's a leftover/pre-owned TDI or another brand altogether. I can own and maintain a well-equipped JGC Hemi or MKX 2.7T for less than a VR6 Touareg, and enjoy the drive a whole lot more. Even the Q7 is a better value IMO.
I agree, the T1/T2 and whatever they had/have, does nothing for me as my T3 has been a road queen. I have taken it off-road some, on a roughed out road that my brother in law had made on his land:

But otherwise, I'm also not interested in the now ancient V6 gas motor that VW has had since Hitler was defeated and it seems that the engine makers have reached a limit with how many MPG they can get out of gasoline motors and VW sure isn't pushing the envelope with the development in this area either, if anything all they are doing is licking the envelope with all the checks they are mailing out for all the customer TDI buybacks.

It is too bad as the T3 TDI is a great truck.
nickm, BeemerMikeTX and HotRodW like this.
post #288 of 584 Old 01-11-2017
Touareg Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpm T2 TDI View Post
Just got my (last?) NY inspection, and there was a white/black leather Wolfsburg 2017 with ACC, and the new driver assist options. The seats are impressive. The blacked out wheels were very cool.

All its missing is a TDI power plant and 4CAir. Like MB and Chrysler, VW should offer an off road option.

Like race cars sell road cars, a loaded, purposeful Touareg will find buyers and help sell base versions.

Darn right. The Wolfsburg trim is what the T3 should have been all along. The seats are incredible and all the tech goodies that were available five years back but kept from our shores. If it only had a TDI...

2017 Porsche Macan
2012 Touareg TDI Exec (Cool Silver/Anthracite) | Warning Triangle | Auto Hold Switch
2007 Touareg V8 FSI (old) | 2006 Passat 3.6L Sport 1 (old) | 2003 Passat GLX (old)
post #289 of 584 Old 01-11-2017

Second Vehicle: Still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpm T2 TDI View Post
Just got my (last?) NY inspection, and there was a white/black leather Wolfsburg 2017 with ACC, and the new driver assist options. The seats are impressive. The blacked out wheels were very cool
This is the model I recently purchased except I have the two tone seats. Sort of kicking myself for doing so at the moment. The new LR Discovery looks to be the vehicle I was hoping for from the beginning. Probably out of my reach at this point as I don't want to add more negative equity to another new vehicle after having just done so trading my Golf R for the Wolfsburg. Now I'm kicking myself wondering why I didn't just scoop up a certified gasser for $16K less. So dumb.

I wish there was some sort of 5000 mile out clause. I'd be all over it right now.

Could all be moot if the Atlas can tow 6000+, but I doubt it will. I wish they'd just release the details already. Seems odd that they haven't when the competition all seem to be releasing full specs with their new models in Detroit.
post #290 of 584 Old 01-11-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Quote:
I'm not sure the people on this forum represent a statistical cross-section of the potential buyers for NEW Touaregs.
Maybe not. But who does? What is the target market? Because there is no denying that the T3 has been met with a collective yawn from the general buying public, too. Porsche sells nearly four times as many Cayennes. That's incomprehensible to me.

It's a great vehicle, but at the end of the day it's still a Volkswagen. A $50,000+ VW! It has a basic warranty, and dealers aren't even required to offer loaner vehicles. I appreciate the lack of pretension myself, but for that kind of money, you know some owners expect more.
fincher and BenTDI like this.

Rod

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2017 GLC300
2016 GTI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode