72Likes

post #271 of 319 Old 6 Days Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwheat View Post
Of course Ford is changing some undisclosed portion of the td6 and calling it a "powerstroke". Until I hear otherwise, I'll continue to use the two terms interchangeably.
Yes, I think that component is the logo on the engine cover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 319 Old 6 Days Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stabone33 View Post
Just hope JLR keeps bringing a 6cyl turbodiesel under their Ingenium line when they finally dump the Lion.
Straight-six turbodiesel? Hmm....

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-sho...unch-in-20171/
post #273 of 319 Old 6 Days Ago
VW-a-holic

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
I bet the new Bronco goes in the FJ Cruiser direction.
post #274 of 319 Old 6 Days Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythdoc View Post
New, larger Tig would be an option for me if it had a better power plant than the little 2.0 the article predicts. Slap the 3.0 TFSI in there...Audi isn't planning to use it anymore.
It's bad enough that the 2.0T is the top and only engine option, but laughable that they detuned it to 184 HP.

Unfortunately, I don't think the 3.0T will fit in the Tiguan transversely. To my knowledge, it's only ever been used longitudinally. The 5-cylinder turbo, on the other hand, should fit just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscot View Post
What Is Audi replacing it with?
Turbocharged 3.0 as seen in the new S4 and future SQ5.

Rod

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2017 GLC300
2016 GTI
The Following User Says Thank You to HotRodW For This Useful Post:
Mythdoc (6 Days Ago)
post #275 of 319 Old 6 Days Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

VW officials announced a starting price of around $30,000 for the Atlas at the NAIS. A fully equipped SEL is supposed to top out around $48k, or $1,500 less than a smaller, base Touareg Sport. Even if VW doesn't intentionally kill the Touareg here, the Atlas could very well do it in.

Rod

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2017 GLC300
2016 GTI
post #276 of 319 Old 6 Days Ago
Administrator

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
I think the pricing reflects on the fact that its not even close to a Touareg in terms of what it is and how its engineered. Its all good and I think the Atlas will do fine, but nobody would consider an Atlas when shopping for a Touareg. That would be like choosing between a Touareg and a Honda Pilot (nobody makes that choice).

Touareg's niche that isn't covered by the Cayenne or Q7 is the lower cost Range Rover alternative which is what it came out as originally. They need to go back to that formula and just enjoy the niche market that's gotten them over half a million sales of Touaregs worldwide. Dealers won't have to try and pawn it off to un-knowledgable consumers, and anyone (much like today) walking in Touareg shopping knows exactly what it is.

Otherwise I suspect former Touareg owners will take a quick drive in the Atlas then quickly move onto Range Rovers and Broncos and diesel F150s and things of that nature.

-------------------------------------------------
2013 Touareg TDI Black Pearl / Titan Black
--PREVIOUS TOUAREGS:
'09 TDI, '07 V8 FSI, '04 V10 TDI, '04 VR6
post #277 of 319 Old 6 Days Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stabone33 View Post
Sounds great, but the article is already wrong. The new Discovery is getting the V6 diesel.
post #278 of 319 Old 5 Days Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickm View Post
I think the pricing reflects on the fact that its not even close to a Touareg in terms of what it is and how its engineered. Its all good and I think the Atlas will do fine, but nobody would consider an Atlas when shopping for a Touareg. That would be like choosing between a Touareg and a Honda Pilot (nobody makes that choice).
No question they aren't remotely close in terms of engineering, but I think you're overestimating the savviness of the U.S. buyer if you think most people "get" the differences between the Touareg and the Atlas. For every one of us that understands the differences, I'd wager there are a thousand that see the spec sheets and assume the Atlas' VR6/4Motion/8-speed powertrain is identical to the Touareg's. Hell, I'm not sure how many VW salespeople get that they aren't the same.

Rod

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2017 GLC300
2016 GTI
post #279 of 319 Old 5 Days Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodW View Post
No question they aren't remotely close in terms of engineering, but I think you're overestimating the savviness of the U.S. buyer if you think most people "get" the differences between the Touareg and the Atlas. For every one of us that understands the differences, I'd wager there are a thousand that see the spec sheets and assume the Atlas' VR6/4Motion/8-speed powertrain is identical to the Touareg's. Hell, I'm not sure how many VW salespeople get that they aren't the same.
But those people will probably not be shopping for a Touareg to begin with, which I think was nickm's point.
nickm likes this.

Mike
post #280 of 319 Old 5 Days Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerMikeTX View Post
But those people were probably not shopping for a Touareg to begin with, which I think was nickm's point.
Maybe. But let's be honest ... even Touareg owners aren't shopping the Touareg any more. Some were lost with the release of the T3, and others when the TDI died. They sold just 4,223 for all of 2016, and that was after a price drop and higher incentives. That's down from nearly 28,000 in 2004. (Jeep moved more than 212,000 Grand Cherokees in 2016, and Audi sold 30,500 Q7's.) Now the price was inexplicably increased for 2017, while the Q7's base price drops to $49k with the introduction of the 2.0T. Not a recipe for a turnaround.

I have never seen more than two Touaregs on my dealer's lot, and it's not unusual to find none at all. Considering how valuable lot space is, I don't see that improving when the Atlas launches.
BenTDI likes this.

Rod

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2017 GLC300
2016 GTI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode