If not the T3 TDI, then what? - Page 27 - Club Touareg Forums
 143Likes

post #261 of 584 Old 01-09-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerMikeTX View Post
When I visited the Audi Museum in Ingolstadt in October, they had a new SQ7 TDI (4.0 V-8 turbodiesel) on display. Nice!
In case you have not seen one in the flesh:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1610[1].jpg
Views:	63
Size:	786.7 KB
ID:	167634   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1612[1].jpg
Views:	59
Size:	810.3 KB
ID:	167642  

HotRodW likes this.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #262 of 584 Old 01-09-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fincher View Post
Best thing about the Touareg is the fact it is based on the Cayenne. Lots of shared DNA and stuff from the parts bin. Nothing wrong with the Tiguan but not for me as a daily driver. Kinda bland based on the pics but I will keep an open mind.
I saw a few of the new Tiguans on the road when we were in Germany in October. It looks pretty good in person.

And I agree about the Touareg-Cayenne cross-pollination (Is there another VW with Brembo fixed brake calipers front and rear?).
fincher likes this.

Mike
post #263 of 584 Old 01-09-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Can't afford one
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stabone33 View Post
I think of it this way - if I wait until next fall to buy something with a significant down payment, let's say close to $40K, then at no time will I ever be upside down on whatever I get. So, when the Bronco comes out, I can watch and wait for a year, and if it seems as attractive as it does now, then I trade whatever I get for one. Much of that equity stays with me. If that something is a Volvo XC90 or a Range Rover Sport, that resale value will probably remain pretty high for a 3-year old car with maybe 36-40k miles on it, and I'll cash out a good chunk of that equity so that Bronco will be pretty cheap to put on the road. A lot cheaper than if I had held on to my Touareg till 11 years old and probably something like 200k, as I planned to do, and then replaced it with that same Bronco.
I feel like it will be difficult to step down from a RR to a bronco. I'm worried about going from the Treg to a 4Runner.
I would expect the bronco to be similar in ride and comfort as a T4R. Better than a wrangler but nowhere near the Treg or a RR. Pure speculation of course.
I too have pondered a way to get into a capable daily driver with expectations to jump to something else in a few years but I try to get 100k miles on all my cars so it's hard for me to wrap my mind around it.
I also suspect the wife would have something to say about that!

post #264 of 584 Old 01-09-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
New, larger Tig would be an option for me if it had a better power plant than the little 2.0 the article predicts. Slap the 3.0 TFSI in there...Audi isn't planning to use it anymore.

2011 TDI Exec Silver/Saddle Brown -- 74K Miles
2015 Q5 TDI Cuvée Silver/Chestnut Brown -- 10K Miles
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 V8 Crew Cab
post #265 of 584 Old 01-09-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Second Vehicle: Can't afford one
What Is Audi replacing it with?
post #266 of 584 Old 01-09-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 V6 TDI
^^I read in one of the forums that it was scheduled for retirement, but since I can't afford a new Audi didn't read too closely. A used 3.0 Q5 is on my list of possibilities. Sorry for the lack of specificity.

2011 TDI Exec Silver/Saddle Brown -- 74K Miles
2015 Q5 TDI Cuvée Silver/Chestnut Brown -- 10K Miles
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 V8 Crew Cab
post #267 of 584 Old 01-09-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
If that article about the new Tiggy is true, the HP drops from 200 to 184. I don't know what they are thinking because that's not going to go over well. That's the problem I have with the VR6 Atlas too. I love the packaging, but need more engine than that.
post #268 of 584 Old 01-09-2017
Administrator

Second Vehicle: too many to list
Id day 99% of anyone buying a honda crv or pilot have zero idea of what the hp figure is on their vehicle, that is the exact target market of the new tig and atlas. Think of the US only version of the Passat vs the ROW version and it gives everyone a good idea as to what level of vehicle to expect out of the tig and atlas. There will be nothing in common with the Touareg other than the logos.

I think the SUV market is big enough for car makers to offer more than just small, medium and large. To me it makes total sense to offer a Tiguan and Atlas as your mass market vehicles, yet still have a Touareg as a bargain Range Rover. Same idea as for having things like an escape, edge and explorer, yet throwing in a Bronco, and a Raptor. Much like the car market there are many different offerings with size and number of seats only a couple of the many factors to consider.

Personally my own ultimate SUV would be if Ford grabbed the range rover soort chassis with the td6 engine and wrapped a simple design and simple feature Bronco around it. Kind of what like VW was doing with the touareg before they neutered it then later f@' it all up with dieselgate.
Oregon TDI likes this.

-------------------------------------------------
2013 Touareg TDI Black Pearl / Titan Black
--PREVIOUS TOUAREGS:
'09 TDI, '07 V8 FSI, '04 V10 TDI, '04 VR6
post #269 of 584 Old 01-10-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Outside of the F150, the only other vehicle I've heard of as a candidate for the td6 is the Expedition. Of course Ford is changing some undisclosed portion of the td6 and calling it a "powerstroke". Until I hear otherwise, I'll continue to use the two terms interchangeably.
post #270 of 584 Old 01-10-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickm View Post
Personally my own ultimate SUV would be if Ford grabbed the range rover soort chassis with the td6 engine and wrapped a simple design and simple feature Bronco around it. Kind of what like VW was doing with the touareg before they neutered it then later f@' it all up with dieselgate.
I agree, though Ford sold off JLR (and Aston) years ago, but not before they ripped off their design language and rushed it to market. Ford cared very little for its marquee luxury brands. Tata Motors is doing right by JLR. Just hope JLR keeps bringing a 6cyl turbodiesel under their Ingenium line when they finally dump the Lion.

That said, the new Defender should be priced comparably to a loaded new Ford Bronco or JGC, and about where the Touareg used to be - mid-50's on the lot, maybe $60-65k in top spec minus fancy custom paint and upholstery. As long as it came with Windsor saddle brown leather and a turbodiesel six I'd step down from a RR Sport or a Disco into that if my lifestyle still supported a strong off-road performer. Ford could pack some tech in, say a Raptor suspension package, some electronic doodads like LED light bars and the Raptor's driveline gadgetry, and upgraded leather, and probably be OK, but I understand the sentiment of stepping down to a Ford.

However, stop by any Denver Ford dealer and take a gander at the $100k+ 3/4 ton trucks they have on the lot with lifts and custom interiors. Redneck Range Rover indeed.
nickm likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode