If not the T3 TDI, then what? - Page 26 - Club Touareg Forums
 143Likes

post #251 of 584 Old 01-09-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by fincher View Post
A plug-in Hybrid or hybrid will be good. Have no idea if the next-gen will come here...at the same time, why not if it's being made elsewhere.
Sure ... you would think that if they offer it everywhere else, they'd just bring it here, right? Well, they could have done that with the Passat, too. And yet they built a plant in Chattanooga specifically to provide us with our own, dumbed-down model rather than import the "real" Passat the rest of the world gets. They didn't even consider just building the global Passat here because the Euro Passat was thought to be "too sophisticated" for American tastes. The strategy saved them a lot of money while allowing them to offer a semi-competitive vehicle at a competitive price. If it worked for the Passat ...
john21283 likes this.

Rod

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2017 GLC300
2016 GTI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #252 of 584 Old 01-09-2017
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Well, it's true VW doesn't get the US market but Audi and Porsche certainly get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Porsche Macan
2012 Touareg TDI Exec (Cool Silver/Anthracite) | Warning Triangle | Auto Hold Switch
2007 Touareg V8 FSI (old) | 2006 Passat 3.6L Sport 1 (old) | 2003 Passat GLX (old)
post #253 of 584 Old 01-09-2017
Touareg Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConservativeConsumer View Post
You can laugh, but I am considering Audi Q7. She is very comfy and is quite capable vehicle, but is too obvious a crossover. Another choice is Toaureg 2017 Wolfsburg - a gasser this time. Lexus GX 460s are lurking on the perimeter, but, they look ugly (and unlike the situation with Ladies, beer is not allowed to beatify it)! I see no other vehicles in my price range which will fit my current demands.

I like the Wolfsburg. Excellent package for the price. Can easily be had for $47k or lower. Engine isn't horrible but certainly no TDI. Has all the tech goodies, too.

Nothing wrong with the Q7.

2017 Porsche Macan
2012 Touareg TDI Exec (Cool Silver/Anthracite) | Warning Triangle | Auto Hold Switch
2007 Touareg V8 FSI (old) | 2006 Passat 3.6L Sport 1 (old) | 2003 Passat GLX (old)

post #254 of 584 Old 01-09-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Well, it's true VW doesn't get the US market but Audi and Porsche certainly get it.

For the most part I agree. I'm not sold on the quattro Ultra nonsense. I'm also not sure about the grille they slapped on the Q8 Concept. I hope that's not the future "face of the brand". The rest of the Concept looks ok, although I admit I don't get the whole "coupe" styling thing in general for utility vehicles. Just 22 cu ft of cargo capacity in that big thing? That's less than the A7. It's even less than the X6 and way less than the Q5.

Rod

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2017 GLC300
2016 GTI
post #255 of 584 Old 01-09-2017
VW-a-holic

Touareg: Still looking
Garage
The Bronco coming back is very interesting. I can't see them making another crossover under the Bronco name, would have to be a real 4WD to make sense. Maybe it'll get a Powerstroke diesel option in the six cylinder 3-liter neighborhood. Same for Ranger.
post #256 of 584 Old 01-09-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Second Vehicle: 2008 V6
Flame away, but I for one really like the look of the new Q7. But no TDI means no deal. I'd love an SQ7 when they finally arrive, but I suspect it will be out of what I am willing to pay for a vehicle.

One one my criteria is to be able to comfortably haul a boat (19' Ranger deep vee) and tow UTV/Side by Side vehicles.

Touareg with the V6 gasser - great for around town, not a great tow vehicle.
Q7 with the 3.0 gasser - better torque, still not a great tow vehicle

This next part pains me as I don't think of myself as a pickup truck guy. But over the weekend Ford announced that the F150 is getting a 3.0l diesel (a version of the Lion engine currently in Jaguar / Land Rovers). It's supposed to show up as a 2018 model. I could never drive the Ram (ugly truck, questionable diesel motor). But an F150 might get a thought when the time comes.

In the meantime, I'll just keep hoping that the VW 3.0 isn't dead and it shows back up in the Atlas, next-gen Touareg, and the Q7. That would make it an easy choice.

Current:
2014 TDI Exec - White w/ Cornsilk

Gone to a great new home:
2008 V6 Cranberry Red - Lux Plus (Leather, Keyless) Tech + Dynaudio, Air, Tow, 4 Zone Climate
post #257 of 584 Old 01-09-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameoba View Post
Flame away, but I for one really like the look of the new Q7. But no TDI means no deal. I'd love an SQ7 when they finally arrive, but I suspect it will be out of what I am willing to pay for a vehicle.
When I visited the Audi Museum in Ingolstadt in October, they had a new SQ7 TDI (4.0 V-8 turbodiesel) on display. Nice!

Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to BeemerMikeTX For This Useful Post:
Bill88 (01-09-2017)
post #258 of 584 Old 01-09-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Garage
Quote:
A plug-in Hybrid or hybrid will be good. Have no idea if the next-gen will come here...at the same time, why not if it's being made elsewhere. I certainly see it going both ways but Audi does not have the same thing rebadged...Q5 is too small and Q7 is too big. Tiguan? Not the same.

What's in a name?

The Tiguan is growing to be the size the Touareg was. There's nothing to take the Tiguan's place, which was criticized as too expensive, unless they bring a rebadged Yeti here (the Skoda, not the moderator) as a downmarket Subaru Forester competitor. There's no room between the new-Tiguan/old-Touareg size and the Atlas, unless they go niche market and re-cast the Touareg to compete with the Wrangler, new Bronco, and upcoming Defender. I think that since the Tiguan is moving upmarket, they'd be better served to bring the Amarok here instead since the Ranger is coming back (with a diesel, perhaps) and the Honda Ridgeline is actually selling pretty well for what it is. The Touareg's name has been tainted - in more than one way - and they need to get ahead of a trend for once.

I think overseas it's easier to support model proliferation since something like nearly half of all auto purchases are custom orders - and nearly every option is a la carte. You put one loaded example in the showroom and then let buyers configure them however they want. Doing that in the States without badge engineering is too difficult.
post #259 of 584 Old 01-09-2017
Touareg Guru

Best thing about the Touareg is the fact it is based on the Cayenne. Lots of shared DNA and stuff from the parts bin. Nothing wrong with the Tiguan but not for me as a daily driver. Kinda bland based on the pics but I will keep an open mind.

BeemerMikeTX likes this.

2017 Porsche Macan
post #260 of 584 Old 01-09-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscot View Post
2020 for the Bronco. Really you wouldn't want to buy it until 2021. So that puts it well out of our time frame. Bummer.
I think of it this way - if I wait until next fall to buy something with a significant down payment, let's say close to $40K, then at no time will I ever be upside down on whatever I get. So, when the Bronco comes out, I can watch and wait for a year, and if it seems as attractive as it does now, then I trade whatever I get for one. Much of that equity stays with me. If that something is a Volvo XC90 or a Range Rover Sport, that resale value will probably remain pretty high for a 3-year old car with maybe 36-40k miles on it, and I'll cash out a good chunk of that equity so that Bronco will be pretty cheap to put on the road. A lot cheaper than if I had held on to my Touareg till 11 years old and probably something like 200k, as I planned to do, and then replaced it with that same Bronco.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode