If not the T3 TDI, then what? - Page 2 - Club Touareg Forums
 161Likes

post #11 of 632 Old 07-21-2016
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
I don't tow but use a back rack so an integrated hitch is a must. Have had my eyes on the Porsche Macan since its debut...love it but second row is smallish.

Just going to keep driving my TDI and do nothing. Maybe VW brings back the hybrid Touareg or the next-gen of the hybrid.

2017 Porsche Macan
2012 Touareg TDI Exec (Cool Silver/Anthracite) | Warning Triangle | Auto Hold Switch
2007 Touareg V8 FSI (old) | 2006 Passat 3.6L Sport 1 (old) | 2003 Passat GLX (old)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 632 Old 07-21-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
The Grand Cherokee would be at the top of the list for me. I looked at the EcoDiesel GC before I got my R Line two years ago. The Jeep didn't handle as well as the R Line, but then neither does the standard Touareg. I have to admit, there is something cool about the GC's diesel clatter. The Jeep was a better value, too. Neither will win any awards for reliability, although the Touareg has been a pleasant surprise through the first 49k miles. Two of the samples I test drove quality issues, and I struggled to get comfortable in the driver's seat, otherwise I might have decided differently.

The GC will be updated for 2017, and I like what I'm seeing. I don't need the new Trailhawk's off-road capability, but I want one anyway. I'd love to have a Range Rover Sport, but I just can't justify it for a business vehicle.

http://www.jeep.com/assets/pdf/eBroc...ure-(2017).pdf

Rod

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2017 GLC300
2016 GTI
post #13 of 632 Old 07-22-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenTDI View Post
Like others on here, my wife and I both love our T3 TDI's and won't get rid of them unless a deal comes that is just too good to pass up.

Now, I have been thinking, 'What would I get if I had to or wanted something else?' and only two choices come up. I'd consider a Jeep Grand Cherokee with an EcoDiesel. I thought about the Ram 1500 ED but I don't need the size of the thing. I have also thought about a GMC Colorado and the only reason I consider either as I need the roughly 7,700 lbs each can tow.

What would you consider if you needed a 7,700 tow capacity and wished for comparable MPG that the T3 TDI has.
Since the latest news and what seems like buyback of our Touareg TDIs seems at least feasible I've been wondering the same. I need a midsize SUV and would like good driving dynamics and luxury or near luxury level appointments without the badge. Initial thoughts are Touareg gasser, JGC (but driving dynamics, quality and longevity concern me), or Ford Edge or Explorer (driving dynamics, level of fit and finish and lack of tow capacity are the downsides of these). In my opinion neither the Jeep or Ford options are the complete package of the Touareg which is of course why I have one now which leads to the Touareg gasser. As much as I don't care about the emissions amounts (trivial concerns and amounts in the big picture) the apparent attitude of VW is starting to wear thin and I'm having a hard time in good conscious supporting them any further with my business.

post #14 of 632 Old 07-22-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: Other
I thought this was a fair comparison between JGC vs Touareg. They touched on many of the points mention above. We have owned two of them and we have moved on to our Touareg.

Nickm turned me on to the Ford F-150 with Platinum trim level. The V6 Ecoboost twin turbo has the same torque as the TDI and tows 10500lbs. This actually is a fairly amazing vehicle. We are giving this some serious consideration at some point in the future. (Our son in college is the first priority)

Checkout this video review:

For now we hope for the best.

-Bill-
'08 VW Touareg V8 Lux Tow Hitch
'09 VW Touareg TDI Lux Tow Hitch
'11 Silverado Duramax Diesel SB Crew LTZ
post #15 of 632 Old 07-23-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Fincher you are back and forth with "should I stay or should I go " with yur Treg, good luck in the end it will be happy trails either way.
post #16 of 632 Old 07-23-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Trying to get my count up also. lol
post #17 of 632 Old 07-23-2016
Touareg Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWcheats View Post
Fincher you are back and forth with "should I stay or should I go " with yur Treg, good luck in the end it will be happy trails either way.
Haha. There's nothing to do but drive. Agree that end result is going to be positive either way.

2017 Porsche Macan
2012 Touareg TDI Exec (Cool Silver/Anthracite) | Warning Triangle | Auto Hold Switch
2007 Touareg V8 FSI (old) | 2006 Passat 3.6L Sport 1 (old) | 2003 Passat GLX (old)
post #18 of 632 Old 07-23-2016

A friend at a local Jeep dealer service department said the Jeep diesel V6 is a far cry from the car like VW TDI NVH . Fine motor for a pick up truck. Also this Chrysler V6 diesel motor is being recalled for failing to meet emissions regs and is getting a new catalytic converter. Another friend has a RAM pickup with this motor and his is recalled.

Note the Ford turbo V6 F150 is owned by two of my friends who are deeply disappointed with their actual gas mileage. Neither is getting over 16 in suburban driving. No better that the V8 F150 they both traded in.
post #19 of 632 Old 07-23-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Second Vehicle: Still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by todcp View Post
A friend at a local Jeep dealer service department said the Jeep diesel V6 is a far cry from the car like VW TDI NVH . Fine motor for a pick up truck. Also this Chrysler V6 diesel motor is being recalled for failing to meet emissions regs and is getting a new catalytic converter. Another friend has a RAM pickup with this motor and his is recalled.

Note the Ford turbo V6 F150 is owned by two of my friends who are deeply disappointed with their actual gas mileage. Neither is getting over 16 in suburban driving. No better that the V8 F150 they both traded in.
Yeah, that's the problem. Nothing is really as good at everything as the Touareg is.

Reading the OP again, I think that if I really needed to tow 7,700 lbs I'd probably get an F250 6.7 diesel. The extended cab short bed still fits in my garage. The Colorado duramax will work for me having to tow only 5,000 or less, but with only 180 hp, it's going to be slow climbing when max towing.
post #20 of 632 Old 07-23-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
you don't want that Fiat Grand Cherokee.. Nothing but a rolling recall waiting to happen.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/jeep.htm

I would normally say look at the Audi Q7, but it looks like all the diesel models are not available...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode