Club Touareg Forum banner

How often are others having to replace Battery?

9K views 18 replies 17 participants last post by  OrangeOkie 
#1 ·
Hey there! thanks for the info on Battery replacement. But, my questions is how often are all of you having to replace you battery? I have a 2004 V8 and I'm going to have to replace the battery again.
The dealership replaced the battery in September of 2005 it was still under warranty. And now the car is slow to start and falshes system fault workshop and electronics consumers are now shut off.
Anyone with info on this would be great!

#2 ·
Welcome to the Club! :wave:

I'd search around here for some of the other voltage issues that have been discussed. I'd venture to guess that you have some other problem that is killing your batteries. Possibly alternator, alternator cable, or ground cable, among a few other current draw items (cooling fans that run, compass modules, etc) that it could be.

What does your voltmeter read while the 'egg is running? Does it stay parked on that reading, or does it fluctuate when running, or on/off idle?

Matt

#4 ·
Gina,

Check out this thread.

http://forums.clubtouareg.com/ftopic5169.html

As I said earlier, I think this is pointing toward an issue with the charging system. My voltmeter in my V6 is parked on 14 volts all the time, which is corroborated by my hardwired radar detector. I think you may have one of the cabling issues, or an issue with your alternator. I'd get it into the shop before you get stranded.

Good luck!
Matt

#6 ·
Gina, I had 3 batteries in 3 days on my Treg.. Look in the TSB's you have to get some things replaced. Also I hope you like the dealership cause if your 04 is like mine u will be in there a TON.. I have had mine 8-9 weeks and I have been in 3 times and have 2 go in for 2 other faults that came on this week.. I hate the reliability of the vehicle already.. I luv the Treg the way they look, handle and everything but the 04 seems to be a PITA.

Jeff

#7 ·
Any 12VDC system with the engine running has to be at least 2VDC above the battery voltage, otherwise you are operationg the vehicle elctrical system of the battery and no the generator. The battery primare funktion is to start the car.

#8 ·
V10, build June 2004, original dual battery system.

Still as strong today as the first day received from the dealer.

Hey batteries do fail, **** happens.

Cheers

#13 ·
The volts when idling is at 12volts. I just started and It took two tries to get it started.
It should be at 14 volts when idling. You are not charging your battery. Get your cables checked out. This has happened to me also. After new cables, 14 volts and all electrical problems have gone away.

#14 ·
Just another data point on the life of Treg battery. Mine went thru four batteries, including original one. Two were replaced under warranty; first at 5K miles, second at 25K miles. The battery failed again last month standing me and the family at a gas station in Maine. The car was towed to the nearest VW dealer - failed battery at 46K miles, $488 + tow.

The VW Driver Platinum warranty will *not* cover battery failures but after a few calls to VW Customer Support it appears that they will cover parts and labor for this new battery . . . we shall see.

#16 ·
The cold weather done me in!

Hello, Lexart!~

I am also in Natick: today I will replace my original battery after 64 months of service. I haven't used the vehicle in two weeks because I also may need a propellor shaft assy. So I will get a jump and hopefully limp on over there! The cold snap has undoubtedly finished me off...battery seemed strong at last check.

That's the way it goes,

Geoff

#15 ·
Replaced my original battery last week. Three to four years seems like reasonable service life.

#17 ·
I have an 04 I purchased new in June of 2004 and I replaced my battery today. Although it was not dead, I got almost (5) years of use, and I wanted to replace it before it went dead and left me stranded when I needed to be somewhere important.

The new oem battery, and new seat bolts for the install cost me about $154.00. I did the install myself which is easy but very labor intensive.

#18 ·
My battery lasted 6 years and 54,365 miles. Can't complain too much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.