aftermarket guages? - Club Touareg Forums
Club Touareg Forums  

Go Back   Club Touareg Forums > Club Touareg Community Forums > Drivers Lounge

Join Forest River Forums Today

Old 03-15-2010   #1
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 V10 TDI
aftermarket guages?

Im wanting to put an EGT + Boost guage in my 08 v10... I dont want it to stand out I want to use them for functional purposes... (towing) Was thinking of above the mirror... or maybe the pillar if it looks good.. but i think theres an airbag there lol

Has anyone ever seen this?

Old 03-16-2010   #2

I'm interested in the same thing and so far everyone has told me its a no go.

Old 03-16-2010   #3
Touareg Enthusiast

booooo lol
well maybe ill be the guinnea pig
Old 03-17-2010   #4

Touareg: 2004 R5 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
I have a mate who's good with electronics. I asked him to develop a small digital EGT (3 digit diplay) gauge for me. I don't have PDC, so I'm going to fit it in the switch blank on the dash where the heated seat switch and passenger airbag warning light goes. I'm going to have two made, one for the TDI Jetta as well.

You could have something made up that uses the same display to switch between boost and EGT with the press of a button, that fits in the same space. I think a red LED display would probably look the closest to OE.
Old 03-17-2010   #5

Do they even make an A pillar gauge pod for the Touareg? That would obviously be the easiest. Then just find some gauges that match.
Old 03-17-2010   #6
The Moderator!

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesutton3 View Post
Do they even make an A pillar gauge pod for the Touareg? That would obviously be the easiest. Then just find some gauges that match.
Not sure you would want to put a pod there anyhow since I believe there is an airbag in that pillar. There probably is no pods made for the Treg given that there is no demand for them. You may have to just buy one and mod it for your needs.

04 Offroad Grey V6, gone, but will never be forgotten.
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2010   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
Not sure you would want to put a pod there anyhow since I believe there is an airbag in that pillar.
Oh come on if we're going to wreck a Touareg we might as well make it interesting. Think dodgeball for grown-ups.
Old 03-20-2010   #8

LOL at the above!

DO NOT put gauges on the airbag pillar, my freind got seriously injured when he put gauges on his jetta in that spot and then got into a wreck. They were pulling plastic out of his for 2 hours!

I say a nice 3 gauge setup on the dash where the cubbies are. Kinda like an FJ...

Question- Boost gauge on a V10? What you want is a vaccum gauge. And I would go with CHT vs. EGT. EGT is meant to tell you whether you are running rich V lean. The computer does that for you. Great on carburator applications, on Fuel injection, all your doing is verifying that the computer works. While a CHT will tell you wether or not you are about to blow a head gasket. That is the info you need. Do the CHT's that are thermo rings that install with your spark plugs. Nice clean install...

In case your wondering, I am an aircraft mechanic and aircraft engineer. I do this kinda stuff for a living and hobby.
Old 03-20-2010   #9
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI4lifee View Post
LOL at the above!

DO NOT put gauges on the airbag pillar, my freind got seriously injured when he put gauges on his jetta in that spot and then got into a wreck. They were pulling plastic out of his for 2 hours!

I say a nice 3 gauge setup on the dash where the cubbies are. Kinda like an FJ...

Question- Boost gauge on a V10? What you want is a vaccum gauge. And I would go with CHT vs. EGT. EGT is meant to tell you whether you are running rich V lean. The computer does that for you. Great on carburator applications, on Fuel injection, all your doing is verifying that the computer works. While a CHT will tell you wether or not you are about to blow a head gasket. That is the info you need. Do the CHT's that are thermo rings that install with your spark plugs. Nice clean install...

In case your wondering, I am an aircraft mechanic and aircraft engineer. I do this kinda stuff for a living and hobby.
Within the context of "tuning," I would get a data logger before buying a gauge of any kind.

That CHT idea is interesting.

To kind of add to the above, and how an EGT gauge is not necessarily needed on this application, doesn't the V10 already have a thermocouple located somewhere within the vicinity of the exhaust manifold(s) and where the turbo(s) bolt on? If that's the case, and I'd be very surprised if it wasn't, seeing that my own Passat TDI has one, wouldn't Vag-Com be able to take that reading???

For automobile applications, although this pertains more to gassers, the usability of the EGT really comes into play when adjusting the ignition advance. This will let you know if your adjustments are within the given safety parameters.

Generally Speaking:
More advance = lower temp,
Less advance(more retard) = higher temp

I think that anybody here who is planning on chipping his V10, needs a boost gauge to monitor any boost spikes, but then again, any split second spikes would be missed by the eye, hence logging. Nevertheless, the responsible pilot should have at LEAST something on his tuned vehicle. I say the more, the better!

Here is some food for thought. What about an exhaust back pressure gauge? This is good for monitoring any changes on the exhaust side as well as any other problems within. A boost leak will immediately turn up as higher exhaust back pressure as an example. It can also be used to monitor pressure losses through the intercooler while on boost.
Old 03-21-2010   #10

Correction- Sorry I forgot the V10's are twin turbos...

YES to the boost gauge and if you have a diesel get strictly a BOOST gague! Diesels do not operate under vaccum conditions.

as far as the existing thermocouple....I don't know. I would be skeptical as far as what they install from factory. what they install may be a GO/NO-GO sensor. Hit a temp, shuts the truck down.

Check out TMTUNING.com they have these cool new displays called Liquid. Here is what it is monitoring:

liquid by Race Diagnostics The liquid is a multifunction gauge & diagnostics tool which can display many types of information related to your carīs performance. It displays data in a traditional gauge format as well as a scrolling graph allowing data history to be seen visually.

Features (also see image below)

Main Menu
Gauge Display
Graph Display
G force
Speed timing
Faults and adaptations
Multigauge (Coolant, Manifold, Exhaust and Oil temp)(TT only, other cars to follow)
Setup

Sub Menus

Gauge Display
Engine power
Torque
Boost pressure
Cmd pressure
Mass Air Flow
Air Fuel Ratio
Air intake temp
Exhaust temp
Coolant temp
N75 position
Oil temp

Graph data
Engine power
Torque
Boost pressure
Cmd pressure
Mass Air Flow
Air Fuel Ratio
Air intake temp
Exhaust temp
Coolant temp
N75 position
Missfire
Dyno plot
Timing Correction plot

G - Force Display
Bar Graph
Left
Right
Acceleration
Deceleration

Speed timing
0-60mph acceleration timing
0-100mph acceleration timing

Faults and Adaptations
Display and Erase Fault Codes
Big turbo setting for up to 500hp engines
English, French, Finnish and German language versions
Imperial or Metric units

The liquid currently comes in two hardware formats: round and rectangular.

The liquidTT is a round format, which is designed to fit perfectly inside the OEM vent from the MK1 TT (Model Years 1999-2006).

The other liquid format is a rectangular printed circuit board (rather than the round board used in the liquidTT). This unit uses the exact same hardware components as the round unit, but the printed circuit board is reduced in size to the minimum possible. This allows the rectangular format liquid to be installed in locations that are much smaller than the original design - Get Creative!

The mounting tabs and the "joystick" on the edges of the PCB can be removed individually. The minimum size possible for the board (with all tabs removed) is 39 mm x 57 mm - this is the same as the physical package of the LCD display itself.

and the price is Great, I think its 300-400 done. Monitors off your ODB2 port.

I agree, if you tune, you cannot know enough info.

Here is the website:
liquid by Race Diagnostics

EDIT: now that I remember that you have a Twin Turbo- the EGT gauge is useful to monitor your turbos. Now people run them to monitor to ensure that there Turbine temp stays within "Good" range. The EGT actually doese not monitor your mixtures, but instead monitors your turbos to ensure that they stay within operating temps and when they hit that redline, you can see it and back off the boost to cool them down.
IMO- EGT/CHT and Boost are are requirement for chipped vehicles AT MINIMUM!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.