Club Touareg Forum banner

Upgrading head unit.

133K views 428 replies 44 participants last post by  MrSparsilis 
#1 ·
I just purchased a used '04 Egg. It came with the CD based navigation with the digital 11 speaker amp. I've been reading several posts around about adding the/an Android-based head unit, and the gigantic wiring nightmare that entails to keep the 11 speakers all working.

One suggested tregradios.com, which boasts a hassle-free plug and play with a head unit. The issue is that I don't want to spend $700+ on a head unit, when I know there are cheaper options.

Does anyone know where to purchase the amplifier adapter separately?

You can buy cheaper Android-based navigation units on Amazon, so I was wondering if anyone has ever done this, or just bit the bullet and bought the whole head unit.

#2 ·
+1
I want to do the same.
Mine is an 05 with the cd nav.
I'd love to have a setup with an actual android tablet but I'm not knowledgeable enough, not even close to attempt that.
Best of luck, if you find a solution that allows all 11 speakers that's plug and play please let me know.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Surely someone has done the plug and play system off that website. Another person has directly wired an Android based navigation system to his speakers, bypassing the amp and basically splitting the power of the head unit to the individual 11 channels. Sounds like a gigantic wiring nightmare.

While I support that guy, I'm always looking for the easiest solution, instead of chopping the wiring up. I'm going to contact the company tomorrow and ask about the mystery cable. Surely, that one $600 dollar head unit can't be the solution to all these problems.

#9 ·
For those of us with the cd based nav and digital amp we'd still need some kind of amp bypass that still allows all 11 speakers to work.
If you have the same factory nav and digital amp that we have, I wouldn't spend your money on anything until someone offers a solution to allow usage of all speakers.
It's been done just haven't found anything for sale that will plug and play with any of the replacement units.

#10 ·
Yeah, the guys from London so far haven't been any help.

I spoke with someone from Crutchfield, they said as far as their concerned, no such adapter exists.

He suggested that I either cut into the stock wiring and splice it up, or just keep the stock one, and get this.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_220B101AVW/Audiovox-Carstream-Audi-VW-Bluetooth-Interface.html

It adds Bluetooth capability. Might just have to go this route.

It's really too bad because those Android based systems look really cool.

#11 ·
I wonder how many 04 / 05 touareg's are still out there?
Has to be a lot still running, it's a great vehicle.
I wish I had done more research before buying mine, I probably would have looked for another one with the basic system in it. Or I would have bought something else.
It's basically our winter vehicle and will be used to tow my old fishing boat but I'd still like to have a proper nav system in it without spending a grand on it.

#15 ·
Gentlemen. I may have found a solution. A company in Germany makes an adapter that will allow you to use the stock amplifier. I'm going to contact them and see for sure.

Now, this adapter allows you to connect the RNS 510 head unit to our older touaregs. Problem is, that head unit is like.... $800+ dollars.

Theoretically, an Android based navigation has the same connections as the back of the RNS 510. So you buy this adapter and get a can-bus adapter and it should work!

http://shop.conexx-video.de/artikel...g-12-Kanal-Soundsystem-Can-Bus-Interface.html

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

#17 ·
I am actually running an android radio right now and did not have to do a rewire or anything. It retains the factory look not taking away from the look of the interior. It came with an canbus adapter to let you use the factory amp, so it is completely plug and play. I did have to order a adapter to change the 2 antennas the the vehicle has to one into the back of the radio to get better reception (It is still pretty bad and will by an signal booster later for it). My TReg is a 2005 V8 that has the factory navigation and 11 speaker system. I also recently installed an amp in sub as well this past weekend. This is the exact unit I have below.

Attachments

#22 ·
So, to understand correctly, you ordered a radio off of the Internet, with no special connections or adapters going to the amplifier, using the digital amplifier, and were able to get sound out of all 11 speakers? If so, show me where!

Of course, I'm going to ask you to confirm that you have the digital amplifier, because I know in 2005 they switched to the analog one.

#25 ·
Yes, I have sound from all 11 speakers. Nope, just the supplied canbus adapter (side note: with the canbus adapter when you put the vehicle in reverse it automatically switches the screen to the back up screen and also as the wheel turns the trajectory markers turns with the vehicle). Posted the link of the one I purchased in the message chain for another member.

#29 ·
I looked at the one that you picked out. It looks like it has some trick canbus adapter which allows it to work. Looks legitimate. I'm very curious now lol. So, the only thing you lost was the ability to see songs/music info on the MDF? Everything else works? Steering wheel controls, speakers, etc?

How does it sound? Did you get the backup camera with it?

Sorry for all the questions, it's really exciting.

#31 ·
Exactly, the song and music info is what I lost. To be honest I didn't care and still don't miss now. Yep, everything else works. It sounds really good although the sound through bluetooth leaves a little to be desired at higher volumes.

I did not get the camera because I want to get the one that replaces the latch for the lift gate. After the cam shaft tensioner failed which caused a domino effect of other things with the engine I have not spent any more money on A/V related things with my TReg.

I don't mind the questions.

#35 ·
Hello all..

When I bought my Touareg I decided I wanted a DVD player\Navigation touchscreen head unit instead of the plain radio\cd player without nav (7L6035195), even though it sounded quite decent. I bought the new head unit at a local shop and it even came with the canbus adapter and I bought a great rearview camera to go with it.

As soon as I installed it, I noticed that the sound was not as good as the original radio, the canbus was not compatible with the Touareg so I lost all steering wheel control, radio reception was horrible, but the GPS navigation was awesome!
I went back to the shop I bought it from and complained, and they installed signal booster for the radio which was a big improvement, but they couldn't do anything about the sound or the canbus as they said this is what came with the radio, and the radio was clearly designed for T1 Touaregs.

One happy day after I changed the car's battery about four years later, my nifty radio decided to retire. I took it in for repair but the bad news was that no knew how to repair it, as it seems that the processor had died. I had the original radio still so plugged it back in and, voila, I had quite decent sound again, but no navigation or Bluetooth or a DVD player on which the kids could watch Tom & Jerry :-(

I don't know if I want to invest in another nifty head unit if I will loose the decent sound I have now. As for losing Bluetooth functionality, I've bought an adapter which you plug into the back of the radio in the CD changer's slot and then plug the wire on the other end into your phone or media player's headphone jack and you've got music, sounding quite decent.

#39 ·
deh2002:
Would you believe that that never occurred to me? The plain 7L6035195 radio I have has a "BUILT-IN" amplifier. Well no wonder I almost tore out my trunk area and couldn't find an amp. anywhere! It all makes sense now.
The stock speakers aren't bad so a new head unit will either have to have enough power to drive all speakers (I THINK I have 11 of them, but I have to confirm that), or install an external amplifier which would considerably add to the cost what with the installation and wiring and all that.

marshatherton:
Looking forward to hearing about your experience with the new radio.

Reactions: deh2002
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.