Club Touareg Forum banner

RNS850 v711 Update for MY2011-2013

585K views 2K replies 254 participants last post by  Retiredatthelake 
#1 ·
I saw that the update was posted to

https://www.vw.techliterature.com/consumer/ProductSearch.aspx

the item is listed as 'K0050014921V711 MY2011-2013 Touareg RNS850 Radio SW Update V711'

Anyone have any idea what the update fixes? I can't seem to find a bulletin on it. My 2013 TDI is currently running v544 and unless I can mention an issue in the bulletin my dealer refuses to update the software.

#3 ·
If you press and hold PHONE + SETUP at the same time the system menu appears. It should so something along the lines of S/W Version:544 or similar. I had mine update last week to resolve the HD Radio Mono/Stereo bug and the release on the VW website is newer than that.

#4 ·
I got worried when I followed your instructions, got to the menu, but then couldn't get out. I had to find the five-finger salute (Phone + Climate + Nav + Traffic + Middle Knob simultaneously) to reset the 850!

Anyway, here is a photo of my menu screen. Is the "0319" the version info that I should be looking for, or do I need to go somewhere in the "system" sub-menu?

Attachments

#5 ·
It you press PHONE + SETUP again it will get you out of the setup menu. You are correct in that '0319' is your current software version. It would not surprise me if the HD Radio Fix didn't change the major version number, but I'm not an expert on how VW does their software releases.

#6 ·
We had this update applied today. Our dealer informed us about the update after we asked them a few months ago to check if everything on the radio was up-to-date (we were experiencing the loud pop/restart issue that others have noted).

Apparently, there is a bulletin that came out recently for "erratic" radio behavior. I don't have the bulletin number, unfortunately.

One change we noticed right off is that the hybrid display is different - rather than the 2D power distribution diagram, there is a new 3D rendering of the vehicle over the power distribution diagram, just like in the Hybrid Jetta.

#10 ·
What other noticeable enhancements? I do not have the 'popping' issue and my iPod nano works fine. I did have the update done for the HD Radio issue (thank you again, Eugene-Dave).

Would be interested to know if there are any other graphical enhancements for non-Hybrid models and if album artwork now shows with iPods. Also, if the time remaining shows when streaming podcasts...currently, it's 0:00.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#16 ·
Anyone who has bought the disc want to resell it to me..the site doesn't ship to canada.

#22 ·
I should know more tomorrow if my dealer has it. My advisor said no problem to have them install. No charge. Still may order one anyway as I want to be able to share it with everyone.

#27 ·
fincher if you want to upload it or send it my way when you're done with it I'd owe you one. I'll pay whatever you deem reasonable.

#30 ·
So I took my vehicle in for an unrelated issue and asked specifically about this update. My dealership also did not have access to this update. They informed me of the following:

1) the update was not available for 'general public to just go and buy'
2) it was not for my model year vehicle (2013 Touareg TDI Lux)
3) they would not consider this a warranty issue

This is Pignataro VW in Everett, WA. The purchase experience was great the service has been severely lacking, any recommendation on another dealership that cares about repeat customers?

I would love if someone made an ISO of the update and hosted it, would save me a few bucks :)

#31 ·
I can make .dmg file (Mac guy) but I think I will also try to make an .iso file. I should have my CD next week.

Your dealer is strange. It's okay the dealer doesn't have access to it but to say its not for the general public defies logic when it's available for purchase on the VW tech literature site for consumers.

#34 ·
I think my CD arrives tomorrow EOD via UPS. I likely will try to update then. Not sure if it comes with instructions but I do know how to get the update screen.

#35 ·
I think my CD arrives tomorrow EOD via UPS. I likely will try to update then. Not sure if it comes with instructions but I do know how to get the update screen. Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I was able to get to the update screen and start the process, I just couldn't get it to finish. If you figure it out, please post the instructions - the cd comes all by itself, no instructions.

#55 ·