Backup camera planning - Club Touareg Forums
Club Touareg Forums  

Go Back   Club Touareg Forums > Club Touareg Technical Forums > Mobile Electronics and In Car Entertainment

Join Forest River Forums Today

Old 07-31-2011   #1

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Backup camera planning

I accept that the backup camera is not available on the 2012 TDI and someone posted that they "heard" from VW that the vehicle is not pre-wired for the camera. As I understand it, backup cameras have a power cord and a video cord. My question is whether when a backup camera becomes available can it be wired to the 2012 electronics module or has VW replaced the module with one that does not accept a camera.

As handy as the camera is for towing, it would be shortsighted of VW to do this but you never know. Is there a way to find out?

Old 07-31-2011   #2

Touareg: 2011 V6 TDI
I am thinking ahead to this as well. Until we have a full wiring diagram for the 2011+ Touareg, it will be difficult to know exactly what modules are required for the camera to work, and which ones are already in the car. I am secretly hoping that the car is pre-wired for it, since it was intended to be there. However I won't actually be surprised if it is not. Regardless, I plan to add this back in as soon as the parts are available, unless they are ridiculously expensive.

Old 07-31-2011   #3
Touareg Addict

Second Vehicle: is jealous
I'm sure the "Module for it is already built into the RNS850, even if it requires wiring it will be nearly plug and play with the exception of activating it via vcds ( vag-com). As far as i know every RNS 850 is designed and ready for the backupcamera. You can even buy it aftermarket online, here.... http://kufatec.com/index.php?main_pa...oducts_id=1380

check out this thread

2011 TDI Rear view Camera
SamTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2011   #4

Send a message via MSN to jeffjack
I recently purchased the reverse camera retrofit kit from Kufatec and convinced my local VW dealership to fit it.

The kit came with 3 components.
1. Camera kit that replaces the rear hatch handle.
2. Control unit, goes in the trunk behind the right hand side panel
3. Cables. Video cable that connects the camera to the Control Unit and control unit to the RNS850. A wiring harness that connects the Control Unit to the CANBUS.

There are some VAG tweaks that need to be made to activate the camera.

My local dealership took over 6 hours to install the camera, due to the number of panels that need to be removed and the wiring that had to be drawn through the headlining. The tech that did the job described it as a tough job that took some real effort.

All in all the cost of the unit and labour to install has cost me a pretty penny, but I do a working reverse cam installed in a truly professional way.
Old 08-05-2011   #5

Thanks, jeffjack. This is honestly about what I was expecting. It's always a big job to plumb wiring through the whole vehicle. One curiosity is why the wiring needed to go through the headlining and not along the door sills. I am fairly confident at R&R of body panels except for the headliner. I'm still willing to give it a shot, though.
Old 08-07-2011   #6
Touareg Enthusiast

Second Vehicle: is not a VW
That sucks. I just came back from my local Audi dealer and the manager told me that, although the Audi's are also affected by the shortage of camera, the Q7's will come pre-wired. And there will be a callback to get the unit installed once they get the camera units in stock in the future. Why can't VW do the same thing with Touareg!
Old 08-08-2011   #7

Well, to be fair to VW, they did substitute the Optical Parking System in place of the camera, so I don't think they "owe" it to us spend additional money pre-wiring the camera, or to even promise it at some future time. I would be ecstatic if the wiring were there, but I'm not surprised it is missing. OPS is a nifty feature in itself.
Old 08-08-2011   #8
Touareg Mechanic

Do feel for you guys when I look at my OPS and 4 cameras on the aerial view....but that is an option in my market and not standard. Our vehicles are also affected by the removal of cameras on '12 year models as too are our model Passats.

2nd gen (T3) V6 TDI -
Very big hole in roof / Vanilla flavoured outside / Black Nappa inside with a brush of aluminium / OEM tow pack / Dark glass windows / Lots of cameras / Warm wheel with paddles / RNS850 / Extra real spare wheel / Some other stuff.

Had but now gone Facelift (T2) V6 TDI-
Sun roof / Shadow Blue outside / Anthracite cow inside / tow pack. Now in a loving new home.
Flipper Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2011   #9

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
I'd be surprised if the Audi's are pre-wired...they are built on the same assembly line as the Touaregs and VAG has a history of never supplying wiring for any option that doesn't exist.

Could be dealer BS...after you buy it and find out that the wiring doesn't exist, its not like they will give you your money back.
'09 TDI, '07 V8 FSI, '04 V10 TDI, '04 VR6
nickm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2011   #10

Backup camera wiring

I heard from the dealer yesterday that the 2012 Touareg TDI would be wired for the backup camera and that the camera would be available after the first of the year. You would have to buy the camera and the control module. I assume the dealer would install

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.