Club Touareg Forum banner

04 Naviagtion to Aftermarket Questions

17K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  PJMax 
#1 ·
Im buying a 2004 V8 Reg tomorrow. It has 45k on the clock and its ready to be owned by me. I work at a Ford dealership we have to wait a certain amount of time before we can buy. Anyways I have been all over this thing for some time now and Im going to purchase it. I have been lurking in the boards for about a month but now that its time to pull the trigger I will start here.

I want to install my Alpine double din radio into the Reg. The stock unit and audio system are not going to keep up with my deisre for perfection of audio.

How do I know what speaker setup I have. There are too many threads with too many conflicting answers. Do I have 4 speakers, 10 speakers, or 11 speakers? I do know it have factory navigation and the cd changer in the rear which is also getting the heck out!

Also I know the dash kit is simple I have done them plenty of times. My primary question is what wiring harness do I use? Does anyone have a part number? Crutchfield claims they dont have one?

Also I have read the wipers may be affected how do I avoid this?

Thank you for the help!

See less See more
#2 ·
just did an aftermarket install and ran into the wiper issue. i used the harness that came with my new kenwood(attaches to new HU) and the one provided to me from sonic eletronix (plugs into old harness that used to go into the back of old HU) when i bought it, and had no wiper issues. when i tried to bypass all these adapters to save space behind the head unit i ran into the wiper issue. on a cold rainy/snowy day to boot. long story short if you use the wiring harnesses you should have no wiper problems. if you do let me know and i'll explain my work around

#22 ·
I had the windshield wiper issue crop up after I removed my factory connection to the head unit. I went back and looked at the module that plugged into the radio/Nav head unit and saw 2 wires each to the CAN/L and CAN/H connectors. I wired those wires (two orange/brown together and two orange/blue together) back together and the windshield wipers are back.

Attachments

#4 ·
See me thread on the PAC C2R-VW2 adapter.

I have the 11 speaker stereo and it works fine. I do not have the dynaudio though which I think is key. I think as lons as you have the 8 leads coming from the factory stereo to the amp instead of the 5 leads you should be in good shape. Using the above adapter with the correct swi-XX module will also retain the steering wheel controls.

#6 ·
False!

My t-reg has factory nav and I used the adapted I mentioned above. Give you reverse signal, vss signal, ignition switch, AND retains factory amp if it is NOT digital aka has 5 wires running back instead of 8 wires. And honestly I think you could get around that but using the 4 RCA pre-outs on the new radio instead of the 5 wires. 4 wires are FR FL RR RL and the 5th is a ground. Beats the heck out of running wires back bypassing the amp and putting in crossovers.

#10 ·
NickM,

Looking forward to the pictures and if possible a write-up. I have been considering swapping out my factory unit with Nav but do enjoy the controls on the steering wheel and the readout in the Multi-Function display. Plus it would be strange if there are no buttons on the steering wheel.

Jorge

#11 ·
Change happened sometime in the '05 model run when they switched over to DVD nav.
The 12-channel digital amplifier is used in the Volkswagen Touareg and Volkswagen Phaeton.

It has a total of 12 outputs, to which four bass, four mid-range, one mid-range and treble and two treble loudspeakers are connected in the Touareg and four bass, four mid-range, two mid-range and treble and two treble loudspeakers are connected in the Phaeton. One channel is therefore free in the Touareg.

The 12-channel digital amplifier is controlled with the radio or radio-navigation unit in the Touareg digitally via the CAN data bus.

VW SPP 342 Radio System 2006 page 38 & 39.

Attachments

#12 ·
OK, folks, now I'm confused. Willy's car (and the cool amplifier info sheets he supplied) are both "2006" and show a CAN-bus digital input to the amplifier. But the prior post suggests that they went away from this in late 2005 when they went to the DVD nav system, implying that the DVD-nav-equipped cars have an analog input to the amplifier and are thus compatible with aftermarket radios and harness adapters. I'm trying to figure out which way I can go with my late-2006 V10 with DVD nav. Thanks.

#13 ·
I shall have a Kenwood DNX-8120 installed before Xmas and will let you know about any issues.

I already have the DNX with Bluetooth, GPS, iPod, traffic and DVD. I am adding a Sirius module for which I already have a lifetime subscription.

I am curious to see how the factory camera works with the Kenwood?

#17 ·
Touareg speakers

That's what Crutchfield thinks, too. I don't think the little door tweeters have built-in crossovers, either, so they'd probably have to depend upon electronic crossovers and tri-amping. That involves a lot of expensive amplifier electronics. Or passive crossover networks. Not sure where to cross 'em over, either. If they're piezo supertweeters, do they even need crossovers? Lots of unknowns (to me, anyway).:confused:

#18 ·
I have a 04 V10, with CD Nav. I just bought a Kenwood 7160 before reading all this. Looks like I am SOL? I would need to buy a 6 channel amp and rewire everything!!??

Just to confirm, all 04 CD Navs have a digital amp? If I do go the route and rewire everything, will I have any other problems, will the display in the cluster give any errors or just not display any info like it did before (radio station, etc)

#19 ·
Yes you need to run speaker wires back and bypass the factory amp or put another amp in its place

No aftermarket solution will display the directions or radio station on the cluster

#20 ·
Thanks for your reply Nick.

I guess its safe to say there is no use for the PAC CR2-VW2 adapter then for me. Better to spend the money on a amp. How many channel amp/amps do I need to get all speakers to work. Any exampls of what others have used for amps/crossovers?

#23 ·
Bit of a thread mine, but I'm going through the process of fitting an aftermarket stereo (Kenwood DDX9020DABS) to my 04 with CD NAV and found some differences I'd thought would be useful to add here.

My 2004 V10 with RNS2 CD NAV does NOT have the digital amp.
The options in my build list related to nav are as follows:
RHR - radio/navigation system with color multi-function display (RNS S2) 10 speakers
7Q2 - Navigation system with colour screen
7QA - without CD/DVD for navigation
8AY - Radio/Navigation system
8RV - 10 Speakers (Passive)

So don't immediately assume all CD nav have the digital amp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.