VTA expectations? New Treg Tires flat spotted - Club Touareg Forums
 8Likes

post #1 of 23 Old 12-23-2016 Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Garage
VTA expectations? New Treg Tires flat spotted

Wondering what I might expect to experience with a VTA for tires?

When I picked up my 2017 (on a Friday night) I noticed the next day on there was a significant amount of road shake and vibration. I had it into service at 7:30am that Monday. They found the tires had flat spots and potentially they needed to be replaced. They wanted to try to work the flat spots out... so they balanced them the best they could, and I drove them overinflated for a week. Everything felt better but there was still a good amount of shaking at 65 MPH and it got worse up to 75 MPH. So I was back in a week later for a follow-up, this time they said they got 3/4 tires to balance... fine... Same process but this time it feels the highway speed shaking has been worse.

I scheduled a 3rd visit now for next week. They said that they would open a VTA, two things occurred in the phone call that I didn't like.
1. mention that tires are not covered under warranty
2. suggestion that I had to leave the Treg for several days...

So I stopped in to talk to the GM but got a sales manager instead... they say that this all should be taken care of BUT they are not the service department. They told me basically what they should say with a lot of exceptions.

Last time I had significant issues with my Treg was 12 years ago with my 2004, and it was handled "smoothly" without issue, VW even made two car payments. That was 12 years ago and I haven't had a major issue since on my 3 TDIs..

Anyone with some insight, or suggestions?

I am on my 5th Touareg!!! 2004 v8 -> Reliable Toyota
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-> 2010 TDI Sport -> 2012 TDI Sport -> 2014 TDI R-Line -> S4 -> 2017 Wolfsburg
-----------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 12-23-2016
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
VTA expectations? New Treg Tires flat spotted

Your 2017 probably sat and sat on the lot. They should replace the rubber or credit you. I use my dealer for everything except tires but in your case, I would be doing the same thing since it's new. I'm not offering much help, though. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
herothedog likes this.

2017 Porsche Macan
2012 Touareg TDI Exec (Cool Silver/Anthracite) | Warning Triangle | Auto Hold Switch
2007 Touareg V8 FSI (old) | 2006 Passat 3.6L Sport 1 (old) | 2003 Passat GLX (old)
post #3 of 23 Old 12-23-2016
Touareg Guru

What's the issue?

I'd be telling the dealer to fit 4 ****ing new tires today or the car is rejected and returned at close of business.
fincher likes this.

Excellent Wikipedia info on all models:

Buying or just bought a T1 or a T2? ESSENTIAL READING:

Useful tip! Search this forum using Google or Bing by typing in site:
color="black"> word word word

post #4 of 23 Old 12-23-2016 Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fincher View Post
Your 2017 probably sat and sat on the lot. They should replace the rubber or credit you. I use my dealer for everything except tires but in your case, I would be doing the same thing since it's new. I'm not offering much help, though. Good luck!
I would definitely prefer credit so I can put on some Conti DWS tires...

post #5 of 23 Old 12-23-2016
Touareg Guru

Also consider the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All-Season Plus. The Plus version is very good. I have over 20k on them. The Conti DWS 06 was a close second.
herothedog likes this.

2017 Porsche Macan
2012 Touareg TDI Exec (Cool Silver/Anthracite) | Warning Triangle | Auto Hold Switch
2007 Touareg V8 FSI (old) | 2006 Passat 3.6L Sport 1 (old) | 2003 Passat GLX (old)
post #6 of 23 Old 12-23-2016 Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobytoogy View Post
What's the issue?

I'd be telling the dealer to fit 4 ****ing new tires today or the car is rejected and returned at close of business.
The main issue I think is the dealer/service doesn't have leverage with VW, so they have to get VW involved...

The thought has crossed my mind to get pissed (err angry so the UK folk don't take it as getting ), but I don't seem to come out on top when that happens (I'm not that good at it I guess). They also have my $ and the bank as well so I'd still be paying for the thing... However, if things don't work out next week I'll be contacting the bank and my insurance to let them know of the troubles and potential safety issue...

post #7 of 23 Old 12-23-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by herothedog View Post
The thought has crossed my mind to get pissed (err angry so the UK folk don't take it as getting
We can tell from the context - and we're used to foreigners' mis-use of the English language - nearly as much we mis-use it!
herothedog and Candubrain like this.

2015 (16MY) Touareg SE 258 bhp
post #8 of 23 Old 12-23-2016 Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
Wondered if there is a way to find when a vehicle shipped aside from asking the dealer? Based on the VIN I think mine was number 45 off the 2017 line (VIN ends 000045). Just a guess but it probably sat at the port of entry or a warehouse for a while because I don't think 2017 Tregs showed up on dealer lots until November(ish)..? I didn't notice the one I got until two days before I purchased it, though it may have been sitting someplace less visible than the corner display.

post #9 of 23 Old 12-23-2016
Touareg Guru

Dealers near me had them in August. Probably were in port a few months prior. It sucks but at the very least you know issue...no fishing required.

2017 Porsche Macan
The Following User Says Thank You to fincher For This Useful Post:
herothedog (12-23-2016)
post #10 of 23 Old 12-23-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by herothedog View Post
Wondered if there is a way to find when a vehicle shipped aside from asking the dealer? Based on the VIN I think mine was number 45 off the 2017 line (VIN ends 000045). Just a guess but it probably sat at the port of entry or a warehouse for a while because I don't think 2017 Tregs showed up on dealer lots until November(ish)..? I didn't notice the one I got until two days before I purchased it, though it may have been sitting someplace less visible than the corner display.
I guess that 2017 production started late August - just 4 months ago - that's not long, normal shipping time is likely to be around a month, maybe more.

2015 (16MY) Touareg SE 258 bhp
The Following User Says Thank You to Black Grouse For This Useful Post:
herothedog (12-23-2016)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode