VTA expectations? New Treg Tires flat spotted - Page 2 - Club Touareg Forums
 8Likes

post #11 of 23 Old 12-23-2016 Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Garage
Wow... it could have sat for a long while then, regardless of where...

Yes, technically an "easy" fix, I hope the dealer/VW agree.

I took a gamble and went to a different dealer that was closer to me since my "in" at the other place was gone. I know of a few people who have had recent good experiences (and Yelp seemed to reflect that as well) with this dealer and there has been significant management change over the past couple of years to clean house and get better. Fingers crossed... thanks for the inputs.

I am on my 5th Touareg!!! 2004 v8 -> Reliable Toyota
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-> 2010 TDI Sport -> 2012 TDI Sport -> 2014 TDI R-Line -> S4 -> 2017 Wolfsburg
-----------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 Old 12-23-2016
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by herothedog View Post
Wow... it could have sat for a long while then, regardless of where...

Yes, technically an "easy" fix, I hope the dealer/VW agree.

I took a gamble and went to a different dealer that was closer to me since my "in" at the other place was gone. I know of a few people who have had recent good experiences (and Yelp seemed to reflect that as well) with this dealer and there has been significant management change over the past couple of years to clean house and get better. Fingers crossed... thanks for the inputs.
I don't see 4 months as an issue - especially in a market like the US where buy off the lot is far more common than build to order - even that takes a month or more for delivery within Europe!

2015 (16MY) Touareg SE 258 bhp
post #13 of 23 Old 01-01-2017 Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
2017 - Happy New Year... I'm thankful to have a place to gripe with like minded individuals though knowing this is nothing more than venting in hopes someone at VWOA might be looking and might give a ****... <--- hey I was censored...!?!??

Well, VWOA replaced a tire, like for like, which would have been fine if it fixed the problem but it didn't entirely. I continue to get vibrations at and above 65 MPH. It is not nearly as terrible as before but noticeable... The dealer service seems to have done quite a bit for me but are hampered by VWOA process and limitations so I struggle with bashing the dealer too hard as I understand they are the middleman for the most part (although they probably could do more to complain on my behalf, but they may also be beaten down and worn out with dealing with VWOA and understand better than I do if more complaining ever results in a positive response from VWOA). I had one of those "customer satisfaction surveys" from VWOA pop in my inbox so I thought I'd do some griping without expecting any outcome other than making a statement of dissatisfaction. In the final comments section I griped:

/* begin gripe to VWOA
"I am a long time VW Touareg owner starting from 2004. I have owned/leased five (5) Touaregs including the current 2017 and have had enough of my share of warranty claims. I find that VWOA needs to greatly improve how they support the customer and the dealer service centers. The 2017 Touareg this survey is about had issues immediately after driving it off the lot, after I paid for it! The customer (me) should never have to come back repeatedly to have issues addressed on a brand new vehicle, and the service/dealer needs to be empowered to immediately remedy new vehicle issues on behalf of VWOA.

Given my experiences with VW, including the TDI fiasco which I smartly bailed on my 2014 Touareg as soon as it was hinted there was an emissions cheat issue, I have never been able to recommend VW products since most people I know are not equipped with the knowledge or patience to deal with car issues. Having dealer service be the middleman between the customer and VWOA has proven to be excessively frustrating, time consuming, and a burden on the customer. Since I currently commute and am no longer home officed, being without the car I purchased and having to go back and forth to have it serviced has greatly worn down my patience with VW.

I continue to have noticeable vibration when driving on the highways in my brand new 2017 Touareg. This continued issue since driving the Touareg off the lot, though greatly improved since working with the dealer service, causes me to question why I purchased another "premium" VW brand product. At this point VWOA should be replacing or paying for all four tires to be replaced not one tire at a time, no further discussion."
*/

On a second gripe about the tires that I should have paid better attention to are the summer performance tires that came on the beast, delivered to the Colorado Front Range... quite stupid. I realize I've never purchased a vehicle in the middle of winter before and I mistakenly looked up the tires as all season (excuses; it was dark out and couldn't see well, and believed what the sales person said), so my mistake ... but before I go out and spend more money on replacing these tires I want to get VWOA to fix the problem that came with the original tires... this is what was deliver on the Treg and it points out:

Goodyear's warranty states: "Ultra high-performance summer tires are not recommended for winter use, and tread or shoulder cracking on those tires resulting from winter use will not be covered under our warranty."

The Audi dealership which I've recently purchased two Audis from made me sign a waver acknowledging the vehicles were equipped with summer tires... I guess I was wrong to expect that from a VW dealer during the winter especially.

So if I can get all four replaced maybe I'll have some tires for sale if anyone in the area is interested...

post #14 of 23 Old 01-01-2017
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Sorry for your troubles. A good road force balancing by a good Indy shop may help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Porsche Macan
2012 Touareg TDI Exec (Cool Silver/Anthracite) | Warning Triangle | Auto Hold Switch
2007 Touareg V8 FSI (old) | 2006 Passat 3.6L Sport 1 (old) | 2003 Passat GLX (old)
post #15 of 23 Old 01-01-2017
Touareg Guru

Given the latest issue, I would suspect the dealer has not balanced the wheels correctly [Hunter equipment + road force balance] nor fitted the wheels correctly to 133 ft lbs as per the TSB that came out a year or so back when lots of people were having steering wheel vibration issues, AKA the infamous SWS.

New Technical Bulletin Issued for Steering Wheel Shake !!!

I suggest you go back to the dealer and ask them to do the job properly, pretty please.

Excellent Wikipedia info on all models:

Buying or just bought a T1 or a T2? ESSENTIAL READING:

Useful tip! Search this forum using Google or Bing by typing in site:
color="black"> word word word
post #16 of 23 Old 01-01-2017 Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobytoogy View Post
Given the latest issue, I would suspect the dealer has not balanced the wheels correctly [Hunter equipment + road force balance] nor fitted the wheels correctly to 133 ft lbs as per the TSB that came out a year or so back when lots of people were having steering wheel vibration issues, AKA the infamous SWS.

New Technical Bulletin Issued for Steering Wheel Shake !!!

I suggest you go back to the dealer and ask them to do the job properly, pretty please.
Yep, I pointed out the TSB twice and checked the torque myself and the bolts seemed to back off right at about 133 ft lbs. They say they've been aware of that infamous TSB and it seems they have followed it as near as I can tell (I guess I don't know if they followed the TSB exactly other than taking their word for it). FWIW the front end seems fine and I am not getting steering shake or vibration anymore. The problem seems to be coming from the rear. The new tire was put on the front, moved from a rear... According to the service notes they did an "extreme" road force balance all three times, but I'm not sure about the equipment used.

Do the balancers produce some sort of readouts that are printable? I wonder if I should be asking for a copy of those...?

post #17 of 23 Old 01-01-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is jealous
Yes, they are able to print out a copy of the balance specifications. Demand it!
post #18 of 23 Old 01-01-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: Other
Sounds like all FOUR need to be replaced, not just ONE. :- /

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:
post #19 of 23 Old 01-01-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Still looking
You can have a perfectly balanced out of round tire. It will not drive well because it is not round. If you drive them enough, especially in a nice hot environment which is not going to be found in Colorado this month, they will possibly return to round. Or maybe not.

The vibration is a very noticeable issue, but I think the tires themselves are a bigger issue. You really don't want to be driving summer tires below 40 degrees. The road grip and braking distance are horrible. Figure at least 40% longer stopping distance on DRY pavement than a decent snow tire. All seasons can split the difference, but not if they are the crap Goodyears all seasons that came on my 2015. Those would be OK for all of the seasons they get in south Florida.

I would suggest a dedicated winter tire to use in the winter and the a FIXED set of summer tires for the summer, or ask for a swap to a quality all season, which means DWS 06 or maybe the Verde + (not as good on snow as the DWS and both are not nearly as good as a dedicated winter tire). Good luck getting VW ponying up for that.
post #20 of 23 Old 01-12-2017 Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
So finally got things sorted... Over the holidays and a couple more trips to the dealer VW agreed to replace one (1), yes ONE tire that was visibly flat spotted and had too much runout it could not be correct with 2.5 lbs of counter weight (that seems like a lot to me). Got on the highway right away and guess what, it still vibrated and shook like a POS! It was another long weekend where the wifey got a headache from all the motion and the dog barfed and whimpered (he loves car rides normally)... Since the OEM tires where specifically summer tires and it sometimes snows here and I like to go into the mountains when it snows I went and bought a new set of SCORPION VERDE A/S PLUS. $1100 and 45 minutes later I was on the highway on a buttery smooth 2017 Touareg that could not or would not be fixed by VW at the dealer with over 24 hours of rack time logged... I was not a happy VW owner.

So the customer satisfaction survey for my last trip to the dealer came in the night I got the tires installed and I ripped into them. I wasn't mean or unpleasant but was clearly pissed. The next day someone from the dealer called, I was surprised. Since I was at work and we have an open office environment I kept my cool. I pointed out that I have had five of these things since they came out in 2004, and some simple math results in how much I've spent on the VW brand!!! The lady from the dealer was very apologetic and said she would see what she could do and would escalate it to VWOA, I didn't expect anything to come of this any further. I figured I'd be pissed and the next time I wanted a new vehicle VW products would not be considered. This Monday came around and I hadn't heard a peep, so just for grins I emailed the lady at the dealer and let her know I hadn't heard a thing from VWOA, she responded she would get right on it. A couple hours later I got a call from VWOA!

So another nice person on the other end of the phone and I was still at work so I had to keep it pleasant (the guy that sits near me heard me and thought I sounded oddly calm for having the veins popping from my temples and my neck, he was a bit worried). Again I pointed out my Treg loyalty and the amount of money I've spent on VW products. The lady asked if I would hold while she checked on some stuff, and a few minutes later she came back a bit flustered and said something along the lines of ' Mr. Berg we are so sorry! I see you have indeed had five Touaregs and you also have had 5-6 Audis in the past 18 years! We will make this right and the regional manager will be calling you with a solution". A few hours later I got the call from the regional manager, which was a bit more down to business of getting a copy of my receipt for the new tires, this was yesterday. Today I got a call confirming a check is in the mail to reimburse me for my tires!!! I won! #winner

Why couldn't they have just done the right thing in the first place? Wasted time at the dealer for both parties. If the dealer was charging their flat labor rate of $175/hr (I think) for the 24 hours they worked on my brand freakin' new Treg, that works out to $4200 in billable hours. Instead they (VW and the dealer) wasted what could have been billable hours on something that could have been resolved in an hour... just stupid... Plus as a "loyal" customer I went from being completely positive about the VW brand to "meh, I guess they are okay"... 18 freakin' years of loyalty. But still, I am a #winner Now tomorrow I can take that money and hand it directly to the government to pay for my double taxation... errr use tax... err registration that is going to cost about $1000 (I always forget about how expensive it is to own a new vehicle in Colorado

THE END!
fincher likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode