Touareg Maximum Tyre Size- T3 - Club Touareg Forums
 2Likes

post #1 of 136 Old 08-27-2013 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Touareg Maximum Tyre Size- T3

Since this thread has not been created yet, I figured I would start it up. I know there are some scattered posts here and there about this topic but nothing like what the 1st and 2nd generation have. I found this very helpful on my last Touareg so I am hoping that we can get a lot of activity on this thread regarding what various tire options a person has and what the maximum sizes are for the third generation. I currently own a 2012 Touareg Executive. I would like to go with the largest size without rubbing. The previous Tregs I believe could go up to 31.5." It is unclear what the maximum diameter is for the new Touareg. Ideally I would like to put 285/50 R20. Not sure if anyone has done that yet. I assume this thread will get more active as time goes on and the 2011's start wearing through their first set if they have not already.

Those have you that have ventured off of the standard sizes and feel as if they have come close to maxing out the t3 limits, please post your experiences and specs of the tire. Also, pictures are always nice too!! I am not sure what an aggressive tire would look like on a T3 like the Terra Grappler. I know aggressive tires look good on the first and second generation. However, the T3 is far less aggressive in the offroad category (actual performance and looks) and I am not sure how the two would mesh, primarily looks wise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 136 Old 09-05-2013
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
I was going to post a similar question reguarding the T1. Not so much for tallnes but about width, on a stock rim, without contacting anything, particularly in the front.
My T1 is as my profile shows a 2004. A later 2004.

James

'2010 Treg v6TDIComforline (Burgundy, anthracite leather)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'00 Jetta GL
'90 325i (sold)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'79 Yamaha XS750 Special (for sale)
'67.5 Datsun 2000 (keeper)(original owner)

'78 Cobalt 19CD (sold)

'89 Cobalt 21'CC (in the driveway)
post #3 of 136 Old 09-05-2013
Touareg Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsac View Post
I was going to post a similar question reguarding the T1. Not so much for tallnes but about width, on a stock rim, without contacting anything, particularly in the front.
My T1 is as my profile shows a 2004. A later 2004.

James
As your enquiry is T1 related and not T3 you should start your own thread separately.

post #4 of 136 Old 09-05-2013
Touareg Enthusiast

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm about to need to replace my originals (goodyears on 19" rims) and want to go with the larger diameter tire as well. I think I read someone here that moving up from 29.5 to 30.5 is not an issue but not sure I saw anyone confirm 31.5.

I'm disappointed in the options available for 19" rims. So depending on the answers here, I might be buying a set of 17 or 18 inchers to get the tires I want.
post #5 of 136 Old 09-06-2013
Touareg Enthusiast

Second Vehicle: is not a VW
I have 275/45 R20 on my T3 and that works very well. If you want even wider tires like 285, I would think that you would need something like 285/40 R20 (and not 285/50 R20) to keep aproximately the same diameter ?
Ras_dada likes this.

2012 3.0 TDI 245hp, R-line, Nappa leather pack, Air suspension sport pack, Driver assistant pack (adaptive cruise control with "stop and go", Front Assist, Lane assist, Side Assist and Parking sensors front and rear), RNS850, Dynaudio, Pano roof, El. tailgate, Area View, Comfort seats, Memory pack, Aux heater, Keyless Go, Heated leather multifunction steering wheel, Adaptive Bi-Xenon front lights with LED, LED rear lights, Dynamic light assistant, Winter pack, El. Retractable Towbar
post #6 of 136 Old 09-09-2013
Touareg Enthusiast

Second Vehicle: is jealous
I realize the OP was asking about maximum diameter, but since you mentioned width I'll throw this out there; I saw a Q7 a couple of weeks ago with 295's on all four corners. -Looked like they fit well with no visible signs of rubbing. I don't know how different the wheel wells are between the Treg and Q7, but my 275's fit so comfortably I bet another 20 mm wouldn't be an issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-24767596.jpg
Views:	749
Size:	502.8 KB
ID:	24985   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-351676781.jpg
Views:	739
Size:	467.8 KB
ID:	24993  

-Chris
post #7 of 136 Old 09-24-2013 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

265/50/R20

Well I am sure most of you may know this already, but the 265 50 R20 Terra Grapplers fit the Touareg without an issue. I was a bit worried that these would look too aggressive for the less offroad aggressive T3, but had nothing to worry about. Now that they are on (I will post pictures later), I think they look really cool and make the T3 look a little more masculine. Yes I am stereotyping but couldnt think of a better way to describe it. As far as road noise goes, they are definitely noisier than the road tires that come on the T3. Unless you are extremely sensitive to road noise, then I do not think anyone will have an issue with this. The Toauregs are pretty well insulated from noise and it does a great job muting most of it out. Would I like them to be quieter? Sure but you cannot have the best of both worlds. I had a T2 with the Silent Armors I would say they are pretty close (Silent armors might be a bit quieter- hard to tell without driving them right after another, and even then the difference might be undetectable).

Hopefully I will remember to post the pics later so everyone can see.
post #8 of 136 Old 09-27-2013

Any idea on Max tire size for T3 19 inch rims?
post #9 of 136 Old 10-05-2013
Touareg Enthusiast

Second Vehicle: is not a VW
I have just put on my Winter tyres in Dimension 275/50*20 (Nokian Hakkapeliitta R on OEM 20" Pikes peak alloys). They do fit and fills out the arches well, but when turning the front wheels all the way to either side they will slightly rub the front plastic cover inside the wheel arches (just behind the front bumper).

It will not destroy anything but shows that this is the limit. I have 275/45*20 as summer wheels and that is absolutely fine. A wider tyre with 50 profile (285/50*20) would probabely cause problems, but 285/45*20 (smaller profile) might work ok. 285/40*20 should be on the safe side.

This is how my 275/50*20 Winter Wheels look like:

And with the 275/45*20 summer wheels:

2012 3.0 TDI 245hp, R-line, Nappa leather pack, Air suspension sport pack, Driver assistant pack (adaptive cruise control with "stop and go", Front Assist, Lane assist, Side Assist and Parking sensors front and rear), RNS850, Dynaudio, Pano roof, El. tailgate, Area View, Comfort seats, Memory pack, Aux heater, Keyless Go, Heated leather multifunction steering wheel, Adaptive Bi-Xenon front lights with LED, LED rear lights, Dynamic light assistant, Winter pack, El. Retractable Towbar
The Following User Says Thank You to Arne S For This Useful Post:
Ras_dada (06-19-2016)
post #10 of 136 Old 10-06-2013

Running 255/50/19 on my stock 19's right now.

Going for 265/70/17 on a set of 17" Canyons to go 4x4 and light(LA to big bear or mammoth) winter driving. Looking for Terra Grapplers or General Grabber AT2's.

Will post results and pics once complete.

Tags
3rd generation touareg , max , tire options , tire size , wheel and tire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode