Touareg Maximum Tyre Size- T3 - Page 5 - Club Touareg Forums
 2Likes

post #41 of 132 Old 11-08-2014

Touareg: 2011 V8 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malayaalam View Post
DJMAXIZA, what made you decide to use the Zeon instead of the AT3? I'm curious because I'm about to put the AT3 on my treg. Also, did you try the AT3 in the 265/65?
Hi Malayaalam, a couple of things. Firstly wanted to get the biggest tyre possible on the Treg, as wide as possible and maximum sidewall height that I could get. Due to the big brake callipers, 18" is the smallest wheels I can fit and so wanted to get max sidewall height for off-road, especially in sand where it needs to be deflated substantially. The combination of max width and SW height, served well in the desert sands and also some rock climbing and general off-road conditions. SW height of the 285/60/18 ZEON LTZ is 171mm against the 159mm of the 265/60/18 Discoverer A/T3. At the time of deciding, the 265/65 was not available.

Secondly load rating. LTZ is 120 against A/T3's 110. As I load the roof rack and car very heavy for the overland trip, as well as tow a trailer with around 350 Litres of diesel, I wanted to ensure best load rating too. Strangely, the LTZ has slightly slower speed rating (S 180 km/h) than the A/T3 (T 190 km/h), but for the purpose of these tires, I cannot see myself do that speed and that is why I got my standard set of 19" Bridgestone Dueler HP Sports...

Also, the LTZ's on the Cayenne wheels, seems to give better rim protection due to the greater width and rim protector lip on tyre.

Another factor is that the LTZ seems to be well rated for mud and snow and looking at the tread pattern, it does look like the LTZ would handle mud slightly better (comparing it to mud terrain tread patterns).

Lastly was the look of the tire. I know it sounds stupid, but I am a sucker for a good looking tyre and tread pattern .

I fitted both these tyres (not the 65 profile A/T3 though), before making my final choice and luckily took a picture of the A/T3's fitted. First photo shows A/T3. Second shows LTZ and the small gap when turning wheel. Last two photos shows LTZ's in general.

Hope this helps

Edit: Another factor I considered was that LTZ had slightly larger sidewall blocks, that will give better sidewall grip when in sticky situations. This sounds insignificant, but I think it actually helped me in situations where I got stuck in sand, but could drive out every time, by rocking back and forth, while turning wheels left and right whole time. Not to mention, that last lift on the air suspension worked wonders when I bellied out on crown of dunes before going down a slip-face, and some other ones where I fell in deep by going to slow. Just BTW, the Treg was the only vehicle that did not havre to be recovered throughout the entire 5 days in the desert! I actually had to help recover the guide vehicle once...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_00000487.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	813.6 KB
ID:	77457   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_00000493.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	743.8 KB
ID:	77465  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_00000506.jpg
Views:	836
Size:	816.0 KB
ID:	77473   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_00000507.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	766.1 KB
ID:	77481  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 132 Old 11-08-2014

Touareg: 2013 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobytoogy View Post
x2

255/60/17 was also the stock 17 inch fitment.

The 235s should be 108XL loading.

The 255s 106.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplore View Post
235/65/17's are 29" tires. That is the stock size, so yes they will fit.
Thank you both. Would know if my T3 is running the Everest 19" wheels ET 59MM and im going down to 17" Porsche 10 spoke ET 53MM. Will i need any hub rings? Im not sure what the hub sizes are.
post #43 of 132 Old 11-08-2014

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Sorry I can't help with your offset question, but have you thought about 255/60/19 tires for the Everest wheels?

They are 31" tires so they will have the same sidewall as a 29" tire on 17" rim.

Imo the Everest wheels are the best looking out there, and would look great with a 31" tire.

post #44 of 132 Old 11-08-2014

Touareg: 2012 V6 FSI
Thanks a lot DJMAXIZA, helps a lot. What's the OD of the Zeon? It looks like a tight fit on the second photo, how much clearance do you have? I couldn't find any info on the sidewall height for the AT3 265/65, do you have that info?
post #45 of 132 Old 11-08-2014

Sidewall height is calculated from the numbers on the side of the tire.

235 will be the width of the tire.
60 is the sidewalk height calculated as a percentage of the tire width.

So a 235/60/17 will have a 235mm width.

The sidewall height is 235 x 0.6 = 141mm
Change it to imperial - 141mm = 5.55 inches.

5.55 is only 1 sidewall so you must multiply it by 2 for the sidewall above and below the rims.

So 11.1" in sidewall heigh.

Then add the rim size 17".

So a 235/60/17 would be a 28.1" tire OD.
post #46 of 132 Old 11-08-2014
Touareg Guru

That should be a 235/65/17 not 60!

The standard OD for all factory fitted tire and wheel combos on a Touareg is 29 inches, give or take a fraction or two.

Here's a good tire sizer - enter your tire sizes and it will tell you all you need to know.

Tire Size Comparison

Try the Visualizer too.
post #47 of 132 Old 11-10-2014

Touareg: 2011 V8 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malayaalam View Post
Thanks a lot DJMAXIZA, helps a lot. What's the OD of the Zeon? It looks like a tight fit on the second photo, how much clearance do you have? I couldn't find any info on the sidewall height for the AT3 265/65, do you have that info?
Hi Malayaalam, it is indeed tight, but no rubbing under normal conditions. As per my first post, slight rubbing when at very low pressure and changing direction in heavy sand driving. This rubbing is also only against inner plastic wheel well cover and not the likes of Intercooler housing etc, so no damage to anything, other than light scuff mark on inner cover. The smallest clearance is around 5 - 7 mm, when wheel is at turn lock and is between outer edge of wheel and the backside of wheel well. Sorry, don't have the OD calculated, but post from Noobytoogy has link to tool to calculate. Cheers
post #48 of 132 Old 11-12-2014

Touareg: 2013 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Quote:
Sidewall height is calculated from the numbers on the side of the tire.

235 will be the width of the tire.
60 is the sidewalk height calculated as a percentage of the tire width.

So a 235/60/17 will have a 235mm width.

The sidewall height is 235 x 0.6 = 141mm
Change it to imperial - 141mm = 5.55 inches.

5.55 is only 1 sidewall so you must multiply it by 2 for the sidewall above and below the rims.

So 11.1" in sidewall heigh.

Then add the rim size 17".

So a 235/60/17 would be a 28.1" tire OD.
Thanks for the calculations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobytoogy View Post
That should be a 235/65/17 not 60!

The standard OD for all factory fitted tire and wheel combos on a Touareg is 29 inches, give or take a fraction or two.

Here's a good tire sizer - enter your tire sizes and it will tell you all you need to know.

Tire Size Comparison

Try the Visualizer too.
Thanks for the correction and the website. Helpful website.

Quote:
Sorry I can't help with your offset question, but have you thought about 255/60/19 tires for the Everest wheels?

They are 31" tires so they will have the same sidewall as a 29" tire on 17" rim.

Imo the Everest wheels are the best looking out there, and would look great with a 31" tire.
I am using 17" as a winter set.

Nooby or anyone. Do know if i can use the factory lugs
for these specs Everest 19" wheels ET 59MM and im going down to 17" Porsche 10 spoke ET 53MM both has 71.5 CB?

I have a feeling the answer is yes its fine but just want to confirm.

Thanks
post #49 of 132 Old 11-12-2014
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2010 V6 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Runner View Post
I am using 17" as a winter set. Nooby or anyone. Do know if i can use the factory lugs for these specs Everest 19" wheels ET 59MM and im going down to 17" Porsche 10 spoke ET 53MM both has 71.5 CB? I have a feeling the answer is yes its fine but just want to confirm. Thanks
All the VW/Audi/Porsche wheels will use the same ball seat lug bolts. The reason for different offsets is due to different rim widths, 17s will be narrower than 19 or 20s so they're not needing to be moved in as much to have the outside in the same location.

1010tires has a great site for demonstrating it.

2012 Dark Flint Metallic Touareg TDI Exec
2010 Sapphire Blue Pearl Touareg TDI Lux Limited
post #50 of 132 Old 11-16-2014

Another few members were able to fit large tires.

Booty is on 265/65/18's (31.5")

vw151 is now rocking 265/60/18's ( 30.6") and they look great.

Tags
3rd generation touareg , max , tire options , tire size , wheel and tire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode