T3 TPMS Options - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 16 Old 09-03-2013 Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2004 V8
Send a message via AIM to rinaic Send a message via Skype™ to rinaic
T3 TPMS Options

This thread is to accumulate information regarding TPMS sensors for the T3 2011-2013+ Touaregs.

I have a set of 18" rims that do not have TMPS installed. I am going to mount some winter tires and want to add TPMS.
Not going OEM, just wondering what the experience has been with the much less expensive generic options before I order a set.

I think this is the OEM VW part number? 7P0-907-275

There are a number of choices out there.
Any experience you are willing to share would be helpful.

Options:

Huf Beru RDE011 (OEM High Price)

ITM Autoparts 08003 (Generic Mid-Price)

Oro-Tek OBE-011 (Generic Mid-Price)

Titan TPMS TITAN-TT-BE-007 (Generic Low-Price)

Is there any reason why the TPMS would be different 2011-2012 to 2013?
The OEWheels site mentioned elsewhere here on CT has the Oro-Tek listed for 2013 and Titan for 2012.
I have an e-mail in to them for clarification.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semi-retired in FL since 2008:

In the family: '14 Touareg TDI Lux Black/Black(brother)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-05-2013 Thread Starter
Supporting Member

OEwheels said any of the 2011+ will work.
As for the varying prices they are from different suppliers. They don't recommend one over another at this point. Might as well go lowest price.

Going to pick up a set of Titans for my winter wheels.

|

post #3 of 16 Old 09-05-2013
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Garage
I recently purchased a set from OEWheels. I was told that there were two options, OE and generic. I chose the generic for $46 each.

They didn't need to be programmed and my ECU recognized them before I got home from the tire shop. The only complaint I have is that it sometimes takes a minute before the reading is displayed on my MFD where the OE sensors displayed the PSI instantly when the ignition was turned on.

----------------------------
2008 V8 CAMPANELLA WHITE, KESSY
NAV, 4 ZONE CLIMATE, DYNAUDIO, BI-XENON
LEISTUNG CUSTOM EXHAUST AND CAT BYPASS
MALONE TUNE, CAYENNE GTS SWAY BARS
2008 AUDI A4 S-LINE
2016 GTI 4 DOOR, DSG

post #4 of 16 Old 09-05-2013
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
I think the big issue may well be the life (quality) of the batteries fitted in the different units. The OEM units talk about a 6-7 year life, which is expected max tire life, but if the cheap ones only last as long as the typical supplied batteries that come with offshore electronic equipment, there will be a lot of money spent removing and rebalancing tires, to replace TPMS sensors.

2012 Touareg TDI ("Badger"), Highline with sport and towing pkg., Canyon Grey/Black. Awesome.

1984 Toyota Landcruiser BJ60 ("Huntley"), Blue/Brown, 3B diesel, manual everything, daily driver for the past 27 years and 454,000km. Priceless.

Dog is my co-pilot.
post #5 of 16 Old 09-18-2013 Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roalco View Post
I think the big issue may well be the life (quality) of the batteries fitted in the different units. The OEM units talk about a 6-7 year life, which is expected max tire life, but if the cheap ones only last as long as the typical supplied batteries that come with offshore electronic equipment, there will be a lot of money spent removing and rebalancing tires, to replace TPMS sensors.
I'm not sure what OEM sensors you are using, but the 2004 sensors were terrible in terms of battery life.
My brother got less than 4 years from the OEM sensors in his 2009.

Regarding the T3 replacements, I went with the least expensive option from OE Wheels. These ended up being Titan BE-007 sensors (Made in Taiwan). Installed and working perfectly right away.

They worked great even with my original wheels with TPMS stacked on my hitch carrier.

|

post #6 of 16 Old 10-11-2013

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Send a message via AIM to Paisan
So on the T3 no need to "re-register" the TPMS for winter wheels etc? That's great because I'm planning on getting some snows for mine but was afraid of having to re-program them!

-mike
post #7 of 16 Old 05-02-2015
Touareg Addict

Second Vehicle: Other
Rinaic,
What did you end up buying? Was it easy to make your vehicle re-learn new TPMS sensors? Where did you buy them?
I am looking for a generic set for winters and would really appreciate if you'll share your experience.
Thanks in advance!
post #8 of 16 Old 05-02-2015
VW-a-holic

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConservativeConsumer View Post
Rinaic,
Was it easy to make your vehicle re-learn new TPMS sensors?
The T3 (and now T4) automatically learn the sensors. It's pretty slick. If you change wheels or whatever, you just drive with the new sensors installed and in a few minutes the car picks them up.
post #9 of 16 Old 05-02-2015
Touareg Addict

I know that this is the case with the OEM HUFs, but the OP was looking for an aftermarket. I remember reading a saga about non-OEM which were a complete junk and never worked well from day one. Nonetheless, ~$400 for OE sensors set is ridiculous and finding good generic option is worth an effort.
post #10 of 16 Old 05-02-2015
VW-a-holic

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConservativeConsumer View Post
I know that this is the case with the OEM HUFs, but the OP was looking for an aftermarket. I remember reading a saga about non-OEM which were a complete junk and never worked well from day one. Nonetheless, ~$400 for OE sensors set is ridiculous and finding good generic option is worth an effort.
The sensors I got from Tire Rack are HUF, probably OEM-equivalent. Made in Germany. $252 for a set of 4 including all the required mounting hardware.

Tags
touareg , touareg tpms , tpms

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode