Snow Chains? - Club Touareg Forums
Club Touareg Forums  

Go Back   Club Touareg Forums > Club Touareg Technical Forums > Running Gear & On-Road Suspension Mods

Join Forest River Forums Today

Old 12-22-2010   #1
Touareg Enthusiast

Snow Chains?

Okay, I've searched but not found a DEFINITIVE answer to this. Maybe I missed it...

Has anyone of you actually put show chains on your Touareg? I mean "for real", in actual use.

Please don't tell me that if you're driving a Touareg you don't need chains (yeah, have read that many times - got it). Or, that if you are in a situation where you'd need snow chains, you shouldn't be out driving. (Yeah, got that too - in California, on occasion the Highway Patrol has the option of forcing you to chain up. Even though many have said they've never had it happen, doesn't mean it can't happen. I'd hate to drive 500 miles only to be turned back 50 miles short of my destination because I didn't have chains with me - cheap insurance. Also, what if weather conditions change when you're in the middle of nowhere? I've seen this happen on Mt. Baldy in SoCal in a matter of a an hour leaving dozens stranded and this is only 20 miles from metropolitan L.A.)

So, if you actually actually have chained up your Touareg, what tire size (diameter and size), and what chain brand and model did you use?

I've tried buying several sets of chains and test fit them on my rig in the driveway here at home before proceeding out. I have 19"s (I know, not optimal, hence my question - I'm trying to figure out what wheel diameter and tire and chain have been PROVEN to work). 255/50R19. I most recently tried SCC Super Z6, SZ435 Cable chain for Pickups and SUV's. Supposedly super low-profile. But in testing in my driveway, still seemed like the connector links on the back side of tire (connecting each crossover "V" to the next) were going to hit the brake line and/or ABS/stability sensor lines on the outside of the A-arm.

Oh, well. Still searching. Just hoping for some input based on actual experience, not hearsay and/or opinion.

Old 12-22-2010   #2
Touareg Guru

I know you're not the first with this problem and I don't use chains so you're probably wondering why I'm responding.

But I spotted these the other day. As you will see they have nothing at all going behind the wheel so nothing can get damaged.

They do them in your wheel/tyre size, but they are not cheap and I don't know if you can get them in the US.

Nonetheless I hope it might help.

Thule Snow Chains

Old 12-22-2010   #3
Touareg Enthusiast

Hi. Thanks. Yeah, I did see these and was blown away at the ~$400/axle price tag (since I want to chain up all four tires if necessary).

But I'm perfectly happy to go with buying a set of winter rims/tires if I know which size have been proven to be chain-up-able since as everyone agrees the 19"s are not good for snow. I'd hate to spring for a set of 17" rims/tires only to find chains still might rub for some reason.

I did get some Auto Socks in the meantime. Have not had opportunity to try them yet. Will report back if I do.
Old 12-22-2010   #4
Touareg Guru

I'm not surprised at your response to the price, especially if you want to do both axles. OUCH!

I've been tempted by the Autosocks.

We don't really have much snow normally, though unusually early and very heavy snow this December has completely messed up the London airports and rail and road travel and many peoples' holiday plans too.

Anyway, I'd be very interested to hear if the Autosocks are a success or not.
Old 12-22-2010   #5
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
There are also cables that are available which run approx 80 to 100 bucks a set. Cables are a little easier on tires. I am going to pick up a set at autozone since I do alot of skiing and chains/cables are enforced on some of the mountain roads.
Old 12-22-2010   #6

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: Other
ECS tuning has these cool looking tire covers that do the same as chains...

Pretty neat...
Old 12-23-2010   #7
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2009 V6 TDI
In 2007, I had to use Cobra cable chains on my 2004 VW Touaureg V8 to get out of snow covered asphalt driveway at my cabin. At that time, I had OEM VW Canyon 17" wheels, 255/60/17 tires. I suffered no damage, and have since sold that touareg. I don't remember the model number on the chains, but the width of 255/60/17 wheels are the same width as the 255/50/19's you have.

I now have a 09 TDI with 19" wheels. I recently bought some 17" VW Canyon wheels on craigs list and put 255/60/17 snow tires on them so I can park on the driveway at my cabin. I now carry cable chains (SCC Super Z6) to comply with the CA law, but have not attempted to fit them. I will switch back to the 19" wheels in the Spring.
Old 12-23-2010   #8
Touareg Guru

As above, the width is the same and so is the overall diameter at 29.0 inches

Tire size calculator
Old 12-23-2010   #9
Touareg Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebbers View Post
ECS tuning has these cool looking tire covers that do the same as chains...

Pretty neat...
Snow socks are a great help but they're not as effective when the going gets tough as chains nor as robust.
Old 12-23-2010   #10
Supporting Member

Touareg: 2009 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Hey Kevin....I have a pair of SCC SZ 441 snow cables that I bought last year for my 19's. I have never used them but carry them per CHP requirements. I just got back from Mammoth yesterday and never had to put them on (over 9 ft of snow in a week). The crappy Continentals OEM worked just fine with 22k miles on them. I didn't drive around a lot when I got up there but chains were required on all vehicles around town except 4 wheel drive. Chains were also required 17 miles north of Bishop on US 395. Do to the limited clearance on the front, if I ever had to chain up I would put them on the back wheels and get them off ASAP. The set of cables I bought cost under a $100.

USAF '83-'87
rineman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.