Rear Passenger Wheel locked up.... - Club Touareg Forums
Club Touareg Forums  

Go Back   Club Touareg Forums > Club Touareg Technical Forums > Running Gear & On-Road Suspension Mods

Join Forest River Forums Today

Old 05-14-2012   #1
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Send a message via AIM to NYTouaregGirl
Rear Passenger Wheel locked up....

Hi Everyone,

Had a strange thing happen friday- my rear passenger wheel locked up. The other 3 would roll fine, but the one wouldn't. If you put it in drive or reverse, the three tires would roll along normally, and just skid the rear passenger one.....
I checked the e-brake, differential etc., nothing appeared out of the norm. No idiot lights on either, all seemed well.

Had the flatbed come take it to the dealership, such a sad sight! As of now, dealership still hasn't gotten back to me on it. Saw one of the VW tech's Friday when it was being unloaded off the tow truck, he had no idea what it could be but said it didn't sound good......

It's an 08 V8 with approx 43,000mi, I'm still under warranty till November 2012 or 50k.

A friend of mine said maybe a frozen caliper? Just had new rotors and pads put on about 3,000mi ago..... New tires installed about 500miles ago.....

Old 05-14-2012   #2
Touareg Guru

The parking brake comprises two "old fashioned" brake shoes that operate inside a drum that is an integral part of the rear brake discs/rotors.

Did the wheel lock up as you were driving along or did this happen when you released the parking brake?

If it was when you released the parking brake then I wonder if these shoes have locked on inside the drum on one side of the car?

Old 05-14-2012   #3
Touareg Enthusiast

As I was driving it out of my driveway. I had noticed a squeaking noise the last time I drove it, but attributed it to the fact I hadn't driven it in a week or so and the fact that it had been raining a lot that week. I usually get a little noise as the rust spots wear off the rotors. Friday, I started it up and put it in reverse that's when I first noticed the wheel was dragging. I put it in drive and it locked up going forwards as well. As it was bein pulled up onto the flatbed, you could visually see all of the other wheels turning as usual.... Except the one...
Old 05-14-2012   #4
Diagnosed OC(T)D Patient

Touareg: 2008 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
I am with Nooby... check your park brake...

Stuart..
2008 V6 TDI, Air Suspension, Paddle Shifter, RNS510, Leather Seats, HID BI Xenons, 4 Zone, Sunroof, Towbar & Genuine Trailer Module, Kufatec Fiscon Bluetooth. Retrofitted OEM Reversing Camera, Retrofitted Factory Front Fog Lamps Xenon 3000K, Redarc Brake Controller, Window Tint, Icom ic-208H. T1 Door Warning Lamps, T1 Under Seat Drawer, Alloy Skid Plate

2006 2.0 FSI Turbo Jetta RNS510, 2 Zone, Sunroof, 9W3 Bluetooth. Reversing Camera, leather Seats, Paddle shifter, DSG.
hedditch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012   #5
Touareg Guru

If it is the park brake, then it should not take very lomg to remove the wheel, remove the disc/rotor and check what's going on inside the drum. 30 minutes?

The mating surfaces of the drums rust very badly as there is no friction from the brake shoes to clean them because the parking brake is only applied when the car is stationary.
Old 05-14-2012   #6

Touareg: 2005 V8
Second Vehicle: Other
Since you changed the rotors as well as the pads, I would suspect that one of the 2 caliper carrier bolts has come loose. VW recommends that they are always to be replaced after removal as they are stretch bolts and are torqued to about 200 ft lbs. I had a BMW that locked up like that due to caliper becoming misaligned because of a loose bolt. This was also just after a brake overhaul.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Jim X
Maitland, FL
jaxander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012   #7
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2007 V6
One member made a calculation using Grade 12 bolts and the torque was at the margin before going plastic. But the ones I got were Grade 10, so these were torqued into the plastic region at 200 lb/ft.

Wasn't it strange that VW did not specify angle for these, if these are TTY bolts? The bolts for the front seat may be the same. Zinc anti-corrosion coating or TTY I will always replace them. Dealers go against VW recommendations and do not replace these bolts. But go with what the repair manual says.

For OP another possibility may be mis-adjusted parking brake, especially with a new rotor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxander View Post
VW recommends that they are always to be replaced after removal as they are stretch bolts and are torqued to about 200 ft lbs.
Old 05-14-2012   #8
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2007 V6
Were there signs of the rotor swept surface overheating (turned blue?) Either the caliper or parking brake can cause the wheel to seize.

The dealer can loosen the bleeder screw, and if the wheel turns then the caliper is the problem. They can also check the parking brake.

One member had a shop replace the rear rotors/brake pads (? IIRC) and the shop did not readjust the parking brake like they were supposed to. The brakes locked up and the shop had to perform warranty service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTouaregGirl View Post
As it was bein pulled up onto the flatbed, you could visually see all of the other wheels turning as usual.... Except the one...
Old 05-15-2012   #9
Touareg Enthusiast

You all are right on the money. I stopped at the dealership yesterday on my way home and sure enough.... the parking brake is the problem. They tried to quote me $400+ to fix it! After some discussion and my explaning to them that the brakes had all been replaced less that 3k miles ago (at another VW dealership) they agreed that perhaps the other dealership messed up when reinstalling the e-brake. I just faxed them over the invoice from the brake job, and they're going to contact the other dealership and VW to see if they'll cover it under warranty.

Thanks to everyone, as always! This forum is great!
Old 05-15-2012   #10
Touareg Guru

Are they checking the parking brake on the other side as well to make sure that whatever has been done wrong on the one side has not been repeated on the other?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.