Rear air shocks will not lower - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 54 Old 11-06-2011 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: Other
Rear air shocks will not lower

Hello
I'm new to this site. I own a 04 v8 touareg(first vw I owned). I just bought it last week & have been on this site ever since that day trying to find an answer to this question. I did not receive any manual with this vw, so trying to figure out what all the buttons do has been interesting.

My problem is with the air suspension "Stop Running gear Fault" . It comes up every time I start engine. Battery was replaced by me, so no problems there. Found a oil leak on the rear stepper motor, so i ordered a new seal & installed it & changed diff oil at same time. It was leaking because there was no o-ring installed to begin with. The air compressor is working because the front goes up & down when controls are adjusted. What I am wondering about is what controls the rear air shocks. The rear is jacked up in the air all the time. Nothing I do will make it move down. So at least there holding air. Two other questions ;
What does esp button do?
When pressing lock button should i see a display of this to tell me it is off or on? Nothing happens.
I am 30 & never use dealers or mechanics for anything,so I will be fixing this on my own. If someone could give me an idea on what controls the back air level would be great. It looks like the rear is at its highest level all the time. Thanks

P.S. Any help or info you could give would be great. A BIG learning curve on this vw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 11-06-2011
Touareg Guru

Welcome.

Stating the obvious, the first thing to do is to get hold of a manual - ebay obviously - as soon as possible.

If you really are planning to do your own work, you need Ross-Tech VCDS - there are cheap fault readers but RT is the only one to get and you can do tweaks with it too.

http://www.ross-tech.com/

Then you ought to get the Bentley manual.

The Electronic Stabilisation Programme [ESP] system comprises the Anti-lock Brake System [ABS], the Electronic Differential Lock [EDL], and the Traction Control System [TCS] and takes signals from all three elements.

The TCS works in conjunction with the ABS across the entire speed range of the car.

The EDL only works in conjunction with the ABS up to speeds of 50 mph [80 kph] - the maximum advised speed limit of the space saver spare wheel.

The EDL can cope - up to 50 mph - with a variation of up to 100 revolutions per minute difference in the speed of the driven wheels but on one side of the car only and it uses the ABS sensors to achieve this.

The ESP may limit power output [which is one of its primary functions] to keep everything safe.

You might turn ESP off in certain off road, mud or snow conditions. Otherwise you leave it on at all times.

I cannot help on the air suspension problem other than to say there is another known problem with severe corrosion where the air goes into the front suspension units. These unions need cleaning VERY carefully and covering with thick grease. Do it AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. But DO TAKE CARE. If they snap, you will probably need two new and VERY expensive suspension units.

Also, there is a technique for securing the wheels on a lift. They must not be allowed to dangle free or major damage can occur. Get that manual!!

How many miles has you car done by the way?
post #3 of 54 Old 11-08-2011 Thread Starter

Touareg has 132,000km on it. My problem must be a release valve of some kind. But it controls both sides on rear. It is better than it not holding air I guess, but the fault code bugs me. The touareg always looks like an old muscle car with air shocks jacked on the back up. When you press the lock button. My touareg does nothing(no display). Is it suspose to tell you or not? I guess what I am asking is when you press lock button, does it lower the air ride, or jack it up like in offroad mode? The front air shocks are moving like they should, so air comp is working. I also have a check lights warning & noticed the drivers side light is a little lower when shinning against a wall at night. I'm going to oreder a ross-tech setup in the next couple of days. Hopefully it can shine a light on problems. I hate buying a second hand suv. Always trying to figure out problems that caused the first owner to sell.

post #4 of 54 Old 11-08-2011
Administrator

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
A bunch of issues there so you might want to format it a bit better...it'll help you get answers

-On the lights, you need a VCDS or factory VAG to adjust xenon light height
-On the air shocks, there are a myriad of systems at work for the A/S. It could be a level sensor or a number of other parts that control the system...get a VCDS and get the codes for clues.
-The lock button is what you use to solve your problem above re:dangling wheel in the air...read thru the manual and it'll give you the info you need on "lock"

-------------------------------------------------
2013 Touareg TDI Black Pearl / Titan Black
--PREVIOUS TOUAREGS:
'09 TDI, '07 V8 FSI, '04 V10 TDI, '04 VR6
post #5 of 54 Old 11-08-2011
Touareg Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by javakm04 View Post
Touareg has 132,000km on it. I hate buying a second hand suv. Always trying to figure out problems that caused the first owner to sell.
132,000kms = 82,500 miles = new timing belt, water pump and thermostat unless you know for certain this service [due at 80,000 miles on the V8] has definitely been done.

If not, you are now on borrowed time I'm afraid.

You can DIY if you are really handy with the spanners- some good threads and pix about it on here.
post #6 of 54 Old 11-08-2011
Touareg Guru

post #7 of 54 Old 11-08-2011 Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply.

Wondering if display should show the lock button is on or off when pushed?

I realize what lock button is for, but does it make rear air suspenion (bags) sit low & lock, or high & lock?

or does it just lock where it was pre-adjusted to when pressed.
I have never seen it work, so I have no idea.

I meantioned the headlight issue to give an idea on problem with rear shocks not lowering when changing modes (ex offroad to low level). I was told the headlights move with different adjustments like this. I don't think there is anything wrong with headlights. Another problem is causing a chain of events.Thought maybe it would be a clue.

If my A/S problem was an air release valve problem, then I would have only one side not work I think..If it was a plugged or pinched air line, it would only effect one side I think. The chances of both side messing up at the same time are small. there will be one component running this feature I would guess, & it has two jobs.Tells the front to move up & down. Tells the rear to do also. My bet is a computerized component. I'm just not use to vw. When you try to adjust heigth(or lower), the rear does nothing. Front works great.
post #8 of 54 Old 11-08-2011
Touareg Guru

If you can try jacking it up to max height. Then set lock. I think the LOCK light should come on by the way [tho' I stand to be corrected!].

Then turn the lock off. Then try setting the suspension to another height and see what happens.
post #9 of 54 Old 11-08-2011
Administrator

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Lock works at any height you set it at...you just push and hold it then it locks the suspension. you'll get a notification on the dash display that its locked.

-------------------------------------------------
2013 Touareg TDI Black Pearl / Titan Black
--PREVIOUS TOUAREGS:
'09 TDI, '07 V8 FSI, '04 V10 TDI, '04 VR6
post #10 of 54 Old 11-08-2011 Thread Starter

Thanks guys
I checked the timing belt just now, & I'm not going to worry. It looks & feels good. I always keep an eye on guages, so I will replace water pump & stat when it shows a problem. I don't feel the need to replace things unless they show signs of damage or wear.
Thank you guys for explaining the lock. That was what I was wondering. I don't see it showing up on display, so I will look farther into it. Could be a place for me to look for problem. If it is locked up on back end, it could explain problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode