Rear air shocks will not lower - Page 4 - Club Touareg Forums

post #31 of 54 Old 11-20-2011 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: Other
Residual pressure retaining valves are not allowing air to exit the rear shocks. I can only guess they were not moved in a while, so they plugged somehow. I figured it out by taking the airlines off the distribution valve block. You take the front line off block & shock goes down. Take the lines off the back & it does nothing. Could be wrong, but I got a feeling i'm not. Now I have to figure out how to fix the problem.

I should say though, they do go up. So I was wondering if anyone that bought a new valve could see right through the center or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 Old 11-20-2011
Touareg Enthusiast

Second Vehicle: Can't afford one
Looking at the diagrams, there is only one relay, it's for the compressor. It's located under the steering wheel.
It's most likely been cut off by the control module because of the fault. Then the whole system shuts down, that's why the rear doesn't come back down. Safety feature.
Looks like the compressor doesn't pump enough air and just runs too long and system shuts it down ("upper limit exceeded" is the pump run time, maybe).
There is a rebuild kit you can buy. 7L0 698 030 , might be worth the $20 bucks.
There is error codes for sensors themselves, so it doesn't look like it's those.
Loosen the air lines and let the rear come down. Then re-calibrate when you get it to normal level.
The system might let you back in after some time.
More reading about the height adjustments here.
Cheers.
post #33 of 54 Old 11-20-2011
Touareg Enthusiast

A ha, plot thickens.
The valve is on top and it suppose to keep some air in, so the shock doesn't bottom out on failure. I don't think it releases air on lowering command, there is a solenoid in the valve block for that.
Sorry about the above post, took me while to type it, so I didn't se your new post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by javakm04 View Post
Residual pressure retaining valves are not allowing air to exit the rear shocks. I can only guess they were not moved in a while, so they plugged somehow. I figured it out by taking the airlines off the distribution valve block. You take the front line off block & shock goes down. Take the lines off the back & it does nothing. Could be wrong, but I got a feeling i'm not. Now I have to figure out how to fix the problem.

post #34 of 54 Old 11-20-2011
Touareg Enthusiast

Reading more about the valve, it might play some role in letting the air out. Could be sticky.
One big warning in the manual is to have the car on jacks, so it doesn't slam down and pinch the air bags.
did you get the service manual (ElsaWin) ?
post #35 of 54 Old 11-20-2011 Thread Starter

Already ordered compressor kit. Will be here next week. No service manual yet. There is a lot of info online, but no wire diagrams. I started tapping on valves, but it does not help. I do not have a couple of options when turning
Rotary switch for level adjustment. I only have auto, offroad, xtra. Any trick to place in loading position? I'm in park not moving anything when trying these options.
post #36 of 54 Old 11-20-2011
Touareg Enthusiast

PM me your email, I'll send you some pdfs.
The loading position is achieved by holding the rotary knob counter-clock wise as far as it goes.
post #37 of 54 Old 11-22-2011 Thread Starter

Pulled the airline direct off rear passenger side valve & it only released air out of airline not the shock. I ordered valves at www.thevwpartsstore.com close to Seattle for $108.00 each. Dealer wanted $188 each plus tax here. I also had to order the socket to remove valve from www.vw.snapon.com for $23.00.
post #38 of 54 Old 11-22-2011
Touareg Enthusiast

Did you try to leave the airline off over night to see if at least little bit of air escapes?
It's strange that both rear sides would stick like this. Try to squirt some WD40 in there. It's quite possible that some oil from the shock absorber got out and messed up the valve if the vehicle sat idle for extended time. Did yo see any oil in the airline at the strut ?
I have ordered from 1stVWparts before, they're close to Seattle as well. They shipped very quickly, but you will have to pay their sales tax. Next time I'm going to try getvwparts.com they're in Maryland, so it will take some time to get, but the prices are great and no sales tax when shipped to WA. Seems that everything is cheaper around New York
post #39 of 54 Old 11-24-2011

Touareg: 2008 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
There is someone on the German Touareg forum with a similar problem, except his is temperature realted, i.e. his Treg wont lower when it gets very cold.

Hochstand Luftfahrwerk bei Minusgraden

The solution was to replace valves on both sides called 'Restdruckventil'. Cannot translate that easily, but it is the part in the following document depicted in the bottom diagram on page 33:

http://www.vwclub.bg/~dragocl/pdf/SSP/ssp362_d.pdf

The same document also expalins that the valve is there to keep a minimum of 3.5 BAR of pressure in the shock incase of pressure loss/leakage eslewhere in the system.

2007 FL V6 TDI, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare, PDC, CASKA Radio, 17" Pirelli Scorpion ATR's
post #40 of 54 Old 11-24-2011
Touareg Enthusiast

Yes, that's the residual valve that he ordered.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode