Rear air shocks will not lower - Page 3 - Club Touareg Forums

post #21 of 54 Old 11-13-2011
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: Can't afford one
This is from Audi, but I'm sure applies here too.
http://audiforum.us/threads/adaptive...n-fault.13725/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 54 Old 11-13-2011 Thread Starter

Second Vehicle: Other
Thank you. Magnets Im guessing.
post #23 of 54 Old 11-14-2011 Thread Starter

So I got a chance to check out the problem. The air line going to all four air shocks look really good. A soapy water spray backed up that they don't leak. I took a look at the air compressor & think it is time to rebiuld it. It will work correctly until fault code comes on, but if compared to the sound of a cheap 12v air compressor for pumping up tires, it sounds like it is not going strong enough. It is not really heating up that bad though. I see a tag that says porsche on an airline close to the pump that looks dark like it got hot though. I love the ross-tech programmer. Well worth the cash. I am playing with all the codes to remove chimes & accept screen(TMPS too). I am starting to like the treg more, but when I start it in the morning, the transmission has a bit of a whine sound. I think that is what it is anyway. Its not loud, but I am very intune with these types of sounds. Could be the way they sound. I have nothing to compare it with. Wondering about the cheapest place to find a kit for the air compressor?

post #24 of 54 Old 11-17-2011 Thread Starter

Well I tried doing a Suspension Level Control Calibration to touereg. My front worked out to the 497mm it should be, but rear was way off. On ross-tech site it gives 502mm. One side worked out to 550mm & right rear 565mm. So that is the value i placed in new value box. Finished doing calibration & I figured it would lower the rear. It raised it to 580mm on left rear. I want it to lower, so has anyone done this before? The directions seem great if nothing is wrong, but I see no info on how to correct problem.

Oh, does standard mean auto mode
post #25 of 54 Old 11-19-2011 Thread Starter

Well my touareg won't let me do another calibration on it. I try to put in the key 31564 & it keeps telling me invalid key. It worked with this key before, so I'm not sure what changed. When I try to see what is wrong using other options under address 34 it either needs key code, or says a relay is deactivated.

Also wondering where the air is released on air shocks? Is it on the shock itself, or somewhere farther up.

On rear shock on lower part of shock there is a plastic cover. Is this where air is released?

Anyone know how the relay works on air suspension? I know how a relay works, just not on this system.

I have been on every site I can google. tried audi, porsche sites also. I'm at a loss on this problem. I want to lower the rear shocks before driving it again.
post #26 of 54 Old 11-19-2011

Touareg: 2008 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
I sense your frustration at this stage, and you probably know much more about the system than me. Try reading this document, I suspect your answer is within this.

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_302.PDF

The way I understand it, on a lowering command; air goes from the air bellows, back into the accummulator and then, if the accummulator is already at or near max pressure, it is purged at the compressor.

The document mentions a relay J403... perhaps that helps.

My guess would be that the issue is a 'simple' programming matter. Probably the previous owner/workshop that did something wrong with a VAG COM.

Also consider that a faulty level sensor on one of the rear units. I don't think it's good enough to assume that it cannot be a level sensor as both rear wheels are affected. I would think that level sensors on the same axle work within a degree of synchronization.

Why not take the Treg to VW, just for an opinion at least?

2007 FL V6 TDI, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare, PDC, CASKA Radio, 17" Pirelli Scorpion ATR's
post #27 of 54 Old 11-19-2011 Thread Starter

So I read a great audi thread & I have a direction to move. Basicly if there is no power going to Solenoid Valve Block it will not release air. So the block could be the problem. So I am going to switch the air lines from the front & back at block & see if it works correctly on the rear shocks.

I realize people have many problems with leaks on touaregs, but I am having the opposite problem. Rear will not lower. Well two problems now, but I will fix the original problem first. Second problem was caused by my vag-com using. Live & learn.

Thank you iandieter for the reply. I realize I should have taken it to dealer to fix, but I do not learn anything by doing so. I realize by working on boats electronics that you use vag-com type products only to point you closer to problem, but don't rely on it like it tells the truth. Dealers are no smarter than you or me. The only difference is they get paid for every hour they guess at problems. They get paid for every part they guess will fix problem. They do have better toys, but I don't need them to figure this out. If I made more money, then I would go & tell them to fix it, but I have more time than money right now. Besides, I am getting to know my touareg better. It will help me if something happens on the side of the road some night.

I should say, if anyone knows for sure this info about the block is wrong then please speak up. I do not write on this site for myself only. I write on this site so if there is a person out there with the same problem, they can figure this out much quicker than I did because of my words.

I do find it hard to believe no one knows how these air suspenion parts work together. After this experience, I have gained a lot of info & pfd on subject. That turned off relay still bothers me though. I will figure it out. Ross-tech website needs work I must say that. Vague on problems that happen while using there product. For the $350 I spent, I expect better.
post #28 of 54 Old 11-19-2011 Thread Starter

Measure the resistance between the three contacts for the G291 pressure sensor in a new air distribution valve block. The contact resistances are:
pin 7 to pin 9: 38K ohms to 41K ohms (depends on which way the multimeter leads are connected)
pin 7 to pin 10: 3.6M ohms to 4.4M ohms
pin 9 to pin 10: 3.6M ohms to 4.4M ohms
The contacts in the 10 pin connector are oriented in the following pattern when looking into the socket when the valve block is away from you. Pins number 9 and 10 are next to the curved outer end of the socket.
1 3 5 7 9
2 4 6 8 10

(Audi p/n 4F0616013)

Might help also
post #29 of 54 Old 11-19-2011
Touareg Enthusiast

Second Vehicle: Can't afford one
I wish I had an answer for your problem and I totally feel for you. I'm usually just as determined to find a cure to the problem as you are.
I just wanted to mention if you didn't already noticed, that the vehicle will not lower if the door is open (on mine it's like this). I noticed this when unhooking the trailer.
Also, did you try to move the selector knob into the loading position ? Does the Treg move at all ?
Somehow I have a feeling that it could be a wheel sensor.
Is there any measuring blocks that show pressure and wheel positions ?
I would also consider to de-pressurize the whole system. It could bring the rear down and reset the levels or stuck sensor.
post #30 of 54 Old 11-20-2011 Thread Starter

Thanks for reply krakonosh. I did read somewhere about the door being open effects the air suspenion from moving. I have not seen loading mode come up yet. Just auto, offroad, extra. I will try it sunday. The front air bags work perfect until fault code comes on. Up, down ect. The fault code comes on at all different times, but always within 5 minutes of driving or sitting. Measuring blocks keep telling me relay is off. On a trim pump on a boat they use two relays. One up, one for down when button pushed. If it does not work when pushing down, you switch relays with the up relay & if that works when pushing down button you know your problem.This relay is a unknown component in every forum I visit. Have not found a way to turn it back on yet. I can't get any readings off the measuring blocks(maybe wrong groups). I will hunt down some info on the wheel sensor troubleshooting tonight. I am going to to de-pressurize the whole system sunday. Hopefully helps my problem.

I added to my problem by now being locked out of address 34. 31564 invalid key. It worked with that key until I tried to calibrate the suspenion. Front was fine(497mm). Rear 550mm & 565mm. Now rear is 580mm. How does it go up when told it is raised too high to begin with. So The rear moves up, just not down.Could be a stuck sensor. I can't believe my touareg problem is it holds air too well. Does not want to give up that air.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode