New Technical Bulletin Issued for Steering Wheel Shake !!! - Page 6 - Club Touareg Forums
 1Likes

post #51 of 246 Old 01-16-2015
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene-Dave-1 View Post
The TSB may seem like Tire & Wheel Mounting 101, but no tire tech I've ever watched working on my various vehicles has ever demonstrated anything remotely approaching the level of care and precision called for by the TSB.
Exactly!! That's that point. Everyone is trying to save time, use an air impact, use the so called impact-torque-attachments so they don't have to manually check the torque with a real torque wrench. The young tech is more worried about his girlfriend than your $60,000 car he's scratching the rims on. Many techs are graded on how fast they complete jobs and how many jobs they do per day. That means cutting corners and using time savers whenever possible. Oh, and now your rims have fresh scratches too.

That's why I do my own tire rotation and swap out my own summer/winter sets of tires now. Had the first set of winters put on at tire dealer, an it wobbled and shook all the way home. I jacked each wheel up in the driveway, loosened all the lugs, and re-torqued myself. Vehicle was turbine smooth after that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 246 Old 01-16-2015
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is jealous
Dang. "Turbine smooth" that's a whole new level.
post #53 of 246 Old 01-17-2015
Administrator

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene-Dave-1 View Post
The TSB may seem like Tire & Wheel Mounting 101, but no tire tech I've ever watched working on my various vehicles has ever demonstrated anything remotely approaching the level of care and precision called for by the TSB.
Its very German. Like wearing a belt and suspenders - just in case.

-------------------------------------------------
2013 Touareg TDI Black Pearl / Titan Black
--PREVIOUS TOUAREGS:
'09 TDI, '07 V8 FSI, '04 V10 TDI, '04 VR6

post #54 of 246 Old 01-17-2015
Administrator

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
I've made this thread a sticky. Hopefully it cure the SWS problem that ppl have been experiencing, and hopefully it cleans up the multiple steering wheel shake threads.

-------------------------------------------------
2013 Touareg TDI Black Pearl / Titan Black
--PREVIOUS TOUAREGS:
'09 TDI, '07 V8 FSI, '04 V10 TDI, '04 VR6
post #55 of 246 Old 01-17-2015
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2012 Hybrid
Second Vehicle: 2012 V6 FSI
About 3 weeks ago I finally decided to install my brand new winter tires which I picked up from the Tire Rack in November of 2013. I bought four Good Year Ultra Grip snows (RFT) but since the winter wasn't that cold/snowy in Cali I kept using Latitudes. This year I finally took those Good Years to the tire shop (which uses Hunter road force machine) with specific instructions on how to torque the wheels. Later in the day I got a call from the shop manager stating that one tires is out of round and can’t be properly balanced. I decided to try them anyway, at least for a few days to see if I can live with them. Unfortunately after another balancing session shakes were still there, at that point I decided to replace them.

Long story short since these tires were over a year old and out of production and could no longer be exchanged for the same model, the Tire Rack stepped in and refunded me a full purchase price (less shipping) for all 4 tires (props to Tire Rack!). I then bought a new set of Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow (non RFT) and took them back to the same shop. After the first balancing session shakes were still present which was a major bummer. Luckily our man JEC_PA came to the rescue with the TSB 481501. Back to the tire shop I wend, this time armed with a printed copy of the TSB, (by this time most of the guys and the owner memorized my desired PSIs and torque values, lol) . I gave them the print out and instructed them to follow it to the tee or “I’ll be back” (terminator voice). The shop manager even called his buddy at VW to confirm everything. They followed the exact directions and voila! My Touareg is shake free once again, glass smooth at any speed! I think the key is to follow this TSB to the tee without cutting ANY corners, yes our cars are that picky.

Here is what worked for me:

1- Road force balance
2- Brake disc bolt at 6 o’clock (see TSB)
3- Hand torque to 133lb (see TSB)
4- 38 front/41 rear PSI

Good Luck to everybody dealing with the issue and hopefully this TSB is the answer we’ve been looking for.

Thank you JEC_PA for stepping forward with the TSB!
post #56 of 246 Old 01-17-2015

Touareg: 2015 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
The care and focus with which tire technicians do their job is as wide ranging as the opinions on some of these threads. To some - the obvious is obscure. After years of suffering with poor service at multiple tire stores (how about a guy dropping the swab inside a tire and mounting it anyway - violet shakes which stopped when the swab became air-born within the tire - then shakes again when it sticks to the inner carcass... they were amused; I wasn't) , a major brand tire rep suggested a group that he said was the best in our region. That was 25 years ago and they have never failed to do the job right on all of our vehicles - including our Touareg. Bolton-James Tire in Spartanburg, SC - good folk who have the skills and who care - may want to try 'em if you're in this neck of the woods. A trick they showed me that may help with this problem is to sit close to the vehicle when centering the tire/wheel and use your legs to lift/hold the tire centered as you initially snug up the bolts/nuts onto their tapered seats - insuring that the weight of the tire/wheel doesn't pull it off-center - and please - only do this with the vehicle properly supported by jack-stands....
post #57 of 246 Old 01-18-2015
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
WOW!

My dealer applied this tsb to my touareg this week... the difference is AMAZING. For such a seemingly trivial fix, this turned my experience with driving this thing to my best driving experience ever. The steering seems tightened up and drives like a dream now. I had the service done over at Armstrong VW in Portland, Or.
post #58 of 246 Old 01-18-2015
Touareg Enthusiast

Even though Armstrong VW is farther away than other service options I wouldn't even consider letting another dealer touch my vehicle. The shop foreman, Ryan Leon is awesome.
post #59 of 246 Old 01-18-2015
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
http://www.rockauto.com/getimage/get...FRO_091013.jpg

Bringing my Treg in the tire shop to try this 6 o'clock mounting business. Makes sense with the heavy wheels on these vehicles. Anyone have luck reducing the shakes with the higher tire pressure (36 front) this service bulletin is recommending? Going to have VW do a hunter road force balance on my 30,000 maintenance. Running Michelin x ice latitudes for winter. Good luck out there all. Hope this service bulletin is the fix we all have been looking for. I noticed the service bulletin a few years back to correct the shakes did not mention mounting wheels at 6 o'clock..fingers crossed. This vehicle is too damn nice to shake at highway speed !!
post #60 of 246 Old 01-18-2015
Touareg Enthusiast

I looked at the tire pressure and mine is 33 front 35 rear.. I don't think the tire pressure is as critical as the mounting position and torque on the wheel lugs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode