New Technical Bulletin Issued for Steering Wheel Shake !!! - Page 5 - Club Touareg Forums
 1Likes

post #41 of 246 Old 01-15-2015
Administrator

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Rant:
The part re: tire bouncing is causing the shake sounds like "how to talk yourself out of this" bs. If this was really true every vehicle of every make on the planet would have this shake.

The position of hub/rotor also is weird...sounds like VW might be best to build their vehicles for use with lug nut vs. lug bolts if the vehicles are this sensitive to how the wheel is mounted.
/Rant

-------------------------------------------------
2013 Touareg TDI Black Pearl / Titan Black
--PREVIOUS TOUAREGS:
'09 TDI, '07 V8 FSI, '04 V10 TDI, '04 VR6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 246 Old 01-15-2015
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Reguan View Post
I PDF'd in case someone wants to download it.
Thank you, kindly.

2012 Touareg TDI Exec (Cool Silver/Anthracite) | Warning Triangle | Auto Hold Switch
2007 Touareg V8 FSI (old) | 2006 Passat 3.6L Sport 1 (old) | 2003 Passat GLX (old)
post #43 of 246 Old 01-15-2015
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: Still looking
That bulletin is noting more than tire installation & torque sequence 101. I learned these principals back in high school 30 plus years ago...that is to have one lug at the 12 o'clock position, clean the mating surfaces, hand tighten all lugs first to help center the center the wheel, and torque in star pattern in stages. The class instructor added the torquing in 3 increasing steps. Example: First get them all snug (finger tight). Then torque in the star pattern to 80ft/lbs. Then again to 110 ft/lbs, and then again to 130ft/lbs.

And with very sensitive cars (like the Touareg) one can add an additional step. After hand tightening the lugs, spin the tire 180 degrees and slightly loosen the lugs and spin the tire a few times again and then re-hand tighten. Then go into the torque sequence.

Another CT member posted a similar ritual awhile back (sorry don't remember who). I think it was in regards to storing the summer tires and installing the winter set, not sure.

The way I read the VW hub position is simply to have one lug bolt hole at the 12 o'clock position. It could be any one of the 5. But VW wanted to make it easy (or hard depending on your view) to identify a specific lug by explaining the 6 o'clock position of the hub notch thing, when in fact any lug at 12 o'clock high will work the same IMO.

post #44 of 246 Old 01-15-2015
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: Still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickm View Post
Rant:
The part re: tire bouncing is causing the shake sounds like "how to talk yourself out of this" bs. If this was really true every vehicle of every make on the planet would have this shake.
+2 on this. It's a load of crap
post #45 of 246 Old 01-15-2015
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
I agree with Terapin that this is wheel mounting 101 that I learned in 1978 from my high school auto shop teacher, but what if it does make a difference and 50% or more T3's with 19" and 20" run smooth? It's worth a shot IMO.
As I wrote earlier, I had the wheel shake and followed recommendation of other CT member who said he dis this and like him my car now rides smooth.
The part of the front hub where wheel hub mounts on the T3 is unlike any design I have ever seen, basically it's 3 ears that the wheel hub slips over and the lug bolts have cones that seat into wheel that are loose somewhat like a wobble lug bolt. Take your front wheel off and look for yourself.
I lifted my 19" wheel and tires above my head to put in wall rack for winter storage and they are freakin heavy, if they don't center perfectly on the hub and need additional centering to happen from proper tightening of lugs that makes sense to me and just a tiny bit not being centric could cause SWS
post #46 of 246 Old 01-15-2015
Touareg Addict

Second Vehicle: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terapin View Post
+2 on this. It's a load of crap
+3! The only what they forgot to include in this TSB is a favorable position of the Orion cancellation at a time of following procedure.

However, I have to admit that this woodoo tsb procedure was/is successfully used by my dealer Service Dept. to make my vehicle drive smooth as glass on Michelin tires (which introduced minor shakes on my shake-free 2012 TDI after OEM GY LS2s tires replacement).
post #47 of 246 Old 01-15-2015

Send a message via Yahoo to MarcusDubya77 Send a message via Skype™ to MarcusDubya77
Good to know as we are picking up ours in 3 weeks!

12 Touareg TDI
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
07 AUDI RS4JHM Supercharged
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:12 Grand Cherokee:08 A4 Avant:08 Evolution X:07 Ridgeline:05 Legacy GT:04 M3 :01 Sport Trac:98 Outback:97 Forester XT:95 Neon:93 WRX:87 RX-7:87 Montero Sport
post #48 of 246 Old 01-16-2015
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2012 Hybrid
Second Vehicle: 2012 V6 FSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConservativeConsumer View Post
Found file today. It wasn't visible on i Pad. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickm View Post
Thanks for this!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fincher View Post
Thank you, kindly.
You're welcome guys.

On a side note; the procedure worked! I'll update the steering wheel shake thread.
post #49 of 246 Old 01-16-2015 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Reguan View Post
You're welcome guys.

On a side note; the procedure worked! I'll update the steering wheel shake thread.
Glad to hear the TB helped a follow forum member !!

That just made my day.
post #50 of 246 Old 01-16-2015
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
The TSB may seem like Tire & Wheel Mounting 101, but no tire tech I've ever watched working on my various vehicles has ever demonstrated anything remotely approaching the level of care and precision called for by the TSB.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode