New Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season plus - Page 9 - Club Touareg Forums
 2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 95 Old 02-16-2017
Touareg Enthusiast
 
Touareg: Still looking
Join Date: Nov 2015
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Posts: 385
Thanks: 46
Thanked 48 Times in 42 Posts
Objective testing shows all seasons dramatically underperform dedicated winter tires. Not just on snow and ice, stopping distance on cold dry pavement is also significantly longer for the all seasons.

Running the winter tires extends the tread life of your primary tires, so the extra expense is actually fairly low over the life of a vehicle if you get inexpensive wheels and do it early in your ownership.
VWBob likes this.
m-fine is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #82 of 95 Old 02-16-2017
Touareg Mechanic
 
Touareg: 2008 V8
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Colorado, United States
Second Vehicle: Other
Posts: 1,242
Thanks: 0
Thanked 90 Times in 87 Posts
All true. But sometimes folks don't have the room to store snows. Unless you live in Canada and have tire storage.

So an all-season is sometimes the best solution available. Still better than running summer slicks in the winter! I've seen it done, usually when I'm helping push or pull people out of a snowbank.

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FSJ Guy is offline  
post #83 of 95 Old 02-17-2017
Touareg Enthusiast
 
Touareg: Still looking
Join Date: Nov 2015
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Posts: 385
Thanks: 46
Thanked 48 Times in 42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSJ Guy View Post
All true. But sometimes folks don't have the room to store snows. Unless you live in Canada and have tire storage.

So an all-season is sometimes the best solution available. Still better than running summer slicks in the winter! I've seen it done, usually when I'm helping push or pull people out of a snowbank.
People are free to make choices and compromises that fit their situation. I was simply pointing out that even the best all seasons are giving up traction to winter tires on snow, ice, or even cold dry pavement. The difference in measured stopping distances is significant and expands as the temperature drops further below 40f or so.
m-fine is offline  
 
post #84 of 95 Old 03-02-2017
Junior Member
 
Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NorCal
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbydigitali View Post
Was going to go with Verdi plus but tire rack guy talked me into some Michelin premier LTX. He claimed better light snow traction for random late and early season snow storms here in the Sierra Nevadas. I'll post how they go after I put some miles on them.
Any update on your experience with the Michelins? I have a bulge in the sidewall of my tires and need to upgrade asap. Looking at the Verde Plus and the Premier LTX.
Zac911 is offline  
post #85 of 95 Old 03-02-2017
Touareg Enthusiast
 
bobbydigitali's Avatar
 
Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Truckee, CA
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Posts: 109
Thanks: 3
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac911 View Post
Any update on your experience with the Michelins? I have a bulge in the sidewall of my tires and need to upgrade asap. Looking at the Verde Plus and the Premier LTX.


The Michelins have exceeded my expectations in all driving conditions. Pretty much perfect SUV all season rubber in my opinion. As a bonus, I decided to not put on dedicated snow tires because the Premiers have been super grippy in all the Sierra Nevada snow storms so far this season.

I don't think you can go wrong with either the Verde Plus or Premiers. Both have great feedback and ratings on Tire rack. I do know the michelins are far superior to the Continental DWS I had on two seasons ago.

Cheers to quality rubber keeping us all safe !


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bobbydigitali is offline  
post #86 of 95 Old 03-03-2017
Junior Member
 
Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NorCal
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbydigitali View Post
The Michelins have exceeded my expectations in all driving conditions. Pretty much perfect SUV all season rubber in my opinion. As a bonus, I decided to not put on dedicated snow tires because the Premiers have been super grippy in all the Sierra Nevada snow storms so far this season.

I don't think you can go wrong with either the Verde Plus or Premiers. Both have great feedback and ratings on Tire rack. I do know the michelins are far superior to the Continental DWS I had on two seasons ago.

Cheers to quality rubber keeping us all safe !


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Appreciate the feedback. I have family in Reno and the added snow performance is tempting. Appreciate the time to respond.
Zac911 is offline  
post #87 of 95 Old 05-15-2017
Touareg Enthusiast
 
Touareg: Still looking
Join Date: Nov 2015
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Posts: 385
Thanks: 46
Thanked 48 Times in 42 Posts
I got a new set of tires installed today. I was looking at the DWS06, Michelin Premier LTX, and the Verde plus. I wanted a bit more sidewall so I was looking for a 265/50/20 size and the Pirelli's won out with a better load rating in that size, and as a side benefit, the 50 series tires were a good bit cheaper than the 45 OEM size.

Note the attention to detail from the highly skilled craftsman who did the installation. BTW, the 18,000 miles on the odometer was not all on the now bald Goodyears since I run snows in the winter. The factory tires were below 2/32 with 12-14K mile on them. Horrible!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tire pressure.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	178402  
m-fine is offline  
post #88 of 95 Old 05-15-2017
Touareg Mechanic
 
Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: USA/New England
Second Vehicle: 2015 V6 TDI
Posts: 925
Thanks: 95
Thanked 34 Times in 32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-fine View Post
I got a new set of tires installed today. I was looking at the DWS06, Michelin Premier LTX, and the Verde plus. I wanted a bit more sidewall so I was looking for a 265/50/20 size and the Pirelli's won out with a better load rating in that size, and as a side benefit, the 50 series tires were a good bit cheaper than the 45 OEM size.

Note the attention to detail from the highly skilled craftsman who did the installation. BTW, the 18,000 miles on the odometer was not all on the now bald Goodyears since I run snows in the winter. The factory tires were below 2/32 with 12-14K mile on them. Horrible!
That, is funny. Tech set the pressures correctly, then put the wheels in the wrong positions. People are only human but, that is a fail.
BenTDI is offline  
post #89 of 95 Old 05-15-2017 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic
 
Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Connecticut
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Posts: 587
Thanks: 9
Thanked 20 Times in 18 Posts
And if they have a directional tread pattern, hopefully not on the wrong side and facing backwards!!
ToolmanJohn is offline  
post #90 of 95 Old 05-15-2017
Touareg Enthusiast
 
Touareg: Still looking
Join Date: Nov 2015
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Posts: 385
Thanks: 46
Thanked 48 Times in 42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolmanJohn View Post
And if they have a directional tread pattern, hopefully not on the wrong side and facing backwards!!
It is no big deal. I just have to drive in reverse for the next 7500 miles until I rotate them next time.

Actually, they are asymmetrical but not directional, and they are all mounted correctly.
m-fine is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 

VW Touareg News Delivered to your Email!

Stay up-to-date with Touareg news in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]