Nasty little surprise - Club Touareg Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By ConservativeConsumer
  • 1 Post By lml999

post #1 of 7 Old 01-18-2017 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2011 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Nasty little surprise

Took a 5,600 mile trip starting in December and ending around the 12th of January and had a great time. However, when coming into town on our last day, I noticed the the left front tire was down to 25 pounds. Checked it with a gauge and then aired it up to 33 pounds as shown in the owner's manual, etc. Next day, it was low again. Took the car in today for an oil change and, when checking the tire, they found a small hole in it. Started to try to fix it and found out our car didn't have a "key" to use to take off the lug nut. This is not a VW dealer, that one is 150 miles away, didn't think I needed a VW dealer to fix a tire with a leak in it. Long story shorter, dealer doesn't have the "key" and the VW dealer says they can't order one unless I drive down there to their place. Now, that sounds like a bunch of hogwash, but we decided that the dealer here in town would force the keyed lug nut off the wheel after received new ones that we ordered. I believe that I am getting four new lug nuts, for the "small" price of $26.00. Should all VWs come with a key to take off the "keyed" lug nut or was I one of the lucky ones who didn't get a key. Just really glad we didn't have a flat fire alongside the road on our trip. If anyone else has had this problem, how did you solve it? By the way, I have been driving for over 60 years and have never had anyone take a wheel off my vehicle, no matter when I parked it. I also posted this in the general maintenance area, just putting here to see if I can get a response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-18-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: Other
The "key" (a special socket, really) should be with your emergency jack and lug wrench in the back.

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-18-2017 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2011 V6 FSI
Unfortunately the "key" appeared to be missing from the car. Sorry I didn't have that in the post.

post #4 of 7 Old 01-18-2017
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
They are not lug-nuts, but lug-bolts. The OE ones come with floating conic washers. I did replace my security lug-bolts with standard VW lug-bolts at the very beginning of vehicle ownership. I got my OE VW standard lug-bolts from my dealer for ~$8 each - if my recollection is accurate. The "key" should be stored in a round hole/indent of your grey Styrofoam box with jack, air-compressor and other things - is there a chance your shop/ you overlooked it? I think it shall not be difficult for a good car shop to remove security lug-bolts, but... I recall reading someone's post on this very forum about broken security bolt stuck in the wheel.
lml999 likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-18-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2009 V6 TDI
Similar thing occurred with me. Luckily it was only after a 2700mi round trip done in 3.5 days that I just noticed the key was missing (I had no issues requiring it on the trip). Figured out that the Dealer/Stealer took it during one of the "Free", maintenance appointments during the first 36k warranty period. Part of the maintenance is a tire-rotation (at least at my dealer). Of course they denied everything, but I never touched the wheels. I had to go to 4 different dealers (after figuring out which one of the 20 different key patterns I needed), to get the right one (also paying $90 for it). I have since removed the keyed lugs and replaced with standard lug (IMO where I live, the threat of wheel loss is nill). If this works for you, maybe your dealer can do it without charging you for a key.

2009 Touareg V6 TDI (Just Pissing in the Wind)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- WeatherTech Liners, MudFlaps, Clear-Bra and Headlight covers, Canyon 17" (245/65/17 Nokian Hakkapelitta R2 SUV unstudded) winter tires (245/65/17 Nokian WRG3 SUV) summer tires, VAG'd TPMS MFD optional & DRLs off.
2010 Jetta TDI DSG (SOLD BACK TO VW)
2004 Jetta TDI - Panzer plate
2000 Dodge Ram Cummins - Stage 2 Dr Performance, MagHytech tranny pan & diff, DSS 3rd Gen TrackBar & Stablizer kits, Rancho dampener
post #6 of 7 Old 01-18-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
This happened to me also. I had the key socket, but when the dealer rotated the tires they forgot to put it back. I got a nail and had to go back to the dealer because the tire shop couldn't do anything. Luckily it was a slow leak.

At the dealer I explained what happened and they gave me a new key socket for free.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-18-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Back when wheel locks were popular, the keys were frequently lost. IIRC, the standard approach was to weld a socket to the keyed lug (or bolt).

Never happened to me, but...

And I did replace the four keyed bolts with standard VW bolts on the Touareg. If someone really wants my wheels, they can have them.
Oregon TDI likes this.

'10 Touareg V6 TDI, black/creme, Luxe, Tech, Air, Dynaudio, Cayenne TT sway bars
'04 allroad, black/black, 2.7t tip, S6 Sport seats & Alcantara trim, HSport bars, BBK, Justin hitch, RNS-E MK2
'01 A4 1.8tqa, silver/black, S4 trim & seats, 996 brakes, HSports/Bilsteins/Eibachs, RNS-E
'07 Colnago C50 Campy Record 10

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode