Club Touareg Forum banner

Maximum Tyre Sizes - T1 & T2

494K views 479 replies 184 participants last post by  Manuel Leotte 
#1 · (Edited)
I've started compiling a list of the biggest tyres for each wheel size, that can be fited to the T1 and T2 Touaregs.

We often see the question: "What is the biggest/widest tyre I can fit to this wheel?", so the idea is to get as much info as possible of actual fitments by members and to update the list on a regular basis.

If your setup is pushing the limits of what's possible, please post here, the following info:
  • Tyre size eg. 265/65R17
  • Tyre brand and model/type eg. Bridgestone Dueler A/T D694
If fitted to a non-standard wheel, please specifiy:
  • Wheel size eg. 7.5Jx17
  • Offset eg. ET55
If you have a thread/post describing the fitment, please post a link to the thread.

If you have any comments/problems/concerns, please add it as well.

Lets see how many responses we get. If we get enough input, I'll make this a sticky for quick reference for all members.

Keep in mind that there could be two parameters that determine the maximum tyre size; the overall diameter, as well as the width. You might find that going to a 32" tyre means you can only go up to 265 width, for example, but you can fit a 295 wide tyre if you decrease the diameter, so we're interested in both cases.

The list also contains the OE sizes as well as recommended off-road tyre sizes, for reference. Currently it only shows up to 21" wheels, as this is the biggest OE size, but I would like to extend it to the 22" and 23" sizes as well.

The more info we get together, the better. So lets pull together and see what we can come up with. :D

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
T'is a good idea AndrieK. I'll dig up the specs for the Hankook Dynapro AT/M RF10 18". A tyre "ready reckoner" is worth the effort. It's not easy getting tyres selected right for these bloody vehicles. I've already ready too many "not happy Jan's" where tyres were not up to the job. And it takes a lot of effort to read reviews and research tyres, then work out what's legal (here) and etc, etc.

BTW, I use the phrase "not happy Jan" a lot...it's Aussie...humour:

#3 ·
Here's a link to the Dynapro specs - I guess you can extract the info you need from here and add to the file.

Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10

IMO - don't go bigger that the 60 profile as you run the risk with intercooler slat rubbing with wheel articulation. I also feel 265 is the max.

#6 ·
255/60/18 (Continental) on the V10 and it just touches the soft plastic on full turn (when tyres are new).

Reactions: huzzathewazza
#7 ·
See this is where it gets interesting...

I assume you have ContiCrossContact A/T's...? I can't find an overall diameter spec for these tyres. Can you maybe see if you can find something from the guys you bought it from?

Theoretically, this is a 30" tyre. Even the 265/65R17's I used to run are bigger (30.5") and I had miles of clearance even before I lifted the Treg, so it's really weird that it touches the wheel arch moulding on your V10... :confused2:

#8 ·
Yep, Cross Contact A/T's. Will try and get the diameter and post, although Singh might know this one already.

#9 ·
265/65r17 Michelin LTX AT2...30.56 inch diameter according to discount tire. Probably will be the only tire I ever put on another SUV... expensive but the ride and how quiet they are is amazing. When at discount tire me and a buddy (the manager) looked at them at full turn and from what i can remember the tires did not have very much room at all from the inside of the wheel well...My buddy said that 265/70 in this tire most likely would have rubbed at least a little.
2007 v6 w/o air

#12 ·
Here's some clarification on the Conti Cross Contacts:
Size: 255/60/18
30.04inches or 763mm
Rim: VW Manhattan 18"
will fit T1 V10 without any rubbing, but will slightly rub - as reported by Wannabe, on the T2 V10. The rubbing isnt on the vents as such but on the slight protrusion - the wheel well plastic has been replaced with a softer material in the T2s that protrudes a little bit more than what we have in the T1s.
I assume VW have made this change to soften the hit from small rocks and pebbles which are thrown up by the tyre into the wheel well.

#14 ·
Singh, wannabe. Had a chat with Yeti about his 245/70R17's on his new '10 V6TDI. He says he does have some minor rubbing issues with these (30.5") tyres and they're not new anymore. So indeed it seems like there is a difference in clearance between the T1 and T2. I added the Conti's to the list.

C1N3, thanks for the links. This is EXACTLY the type of info I'm looking for. ;)

What about the guys with 19, 20, 21, 22 & 23's...? Where are you guys...? :joy:

#15 ·
#16 ·
so on a T2 V6 the max size that can fit is 31.6 in or 30.5 in... ???

#21 ·
265/60-18

I recently put on Bridgeston Deuller Revos sized at 265/60-18s which are all terran tires.

I went from a 29 inch tire to a 30.5, I didnt want to push my luck with a 65 profile. These fill out the wheel well in sport mode with no rubbing to include turning.

The speedometer is now dead on and the odometer seems to be not affected as I verified both with my Tom Tom.

I have not went off road but they are surely an upgrade over my all season Toyos. The tires are definitely heavier and stickier and there is a little bit of a tire drone. Also makes the steering seem heavier. My city mileage went down a one MPG:( Have not been on open road long enough to see what affect it has on steady speeds.

Attachments

#24 ·
I recently put on Bridgeston Deuller Revos sized at 265/60-18s which are all terran tires.

I went from a 29 inch tire to a 30.5, I didnt want to push my luck with a 65 profile. These fill out the wheel well in sport mode with no rubbing to include turning.

The speedometer is now dead on and the odometer seems to be not affected as I verified both with my Tom Tom.
I've experienced the same as you with speedo reading on the same size tyres. I agree that a 65 profile is pushing it, where a 60 is safe fit with full lock.

#22 ·
OK I run 20 x 10 Rims with 55 off set. Have Cooper tires 275 45 fitted. This is an R50 wich is lower in all modes. The tires do not rub. I think OD 757 according to the Blurb.

Cooper Tires - Tyres

#27 ·
tire size 22

Had factory 19's, but went into shock when I found out the price of new Michellins after only 14k.

I am on my second set of 22" Replaced my Kohans with Victor Racing. 285/35R22 v106's First set of Yokos went 46k until they were racing slicks. New set is same size, but are Nexen. Tires are junk but came with rims with 5k on them and they were practically for free, so I'm not complaining.

I'm selling the Kohans. See Pix in my profile. You will need to swap out the TPMS from your old rims.

Great for highway and handling, sucks for off road...
well work fine, but get super dirty and lots of sand mud packs around the rim. Rims hold like a pound of dirt in the holes and crannys.

#33 ·
Had factory 19's, but went into shock when I found out the price of new Michellins after only 14k.

I am on my second set of 22" Replaced my Kohans with Victor Racing. 285/35R22 v106's First set of Yokos went 46k until they were racing slicks. New set is same size, but are Nexen. Tires are junk but came with rims with 5k on them and they were practically for free, so I'm not complaining.
OK you're confusing the crap out of me...

Your first set was OE 19's with Michelin tyres (I assume 275/45R19)
Second set was Yokohama's in 285/35R22 on Kohan wheels
Third set was Nexen in 285/35R22 on Victor Racing... Right...?

Do you know what the spec (width and offset) for the 22" wheels are?

#28 ·
I'm shopping out 315/35/20 for the rear, going to stick with 275/40/20 for the fronts. Diameter of both sizes is identical.

#31 ·
As per our discussion, is there any reason at all the very cool Cayenne staggered set up of 20" x 9"fr/10" rear wouldn't work? The 20" "sport Techno" would look HOT.

I also like the oversized 20" size of 285/50x20 (9"rim width). I like this for the suv because while it is a nice rim size that is visually proportional, you still get more sidewall than a stock 19" provides! It's also a bit wider, but not so wide as to cause problems. I used the Toyo S/T for a while and they were great, however there is an awesome Yokohama tire in W rating (168mph) that would be great too - it's designed for heavy fast suv's.

This one is ideal for 9" rim and more in keeping with stock Touareg size specs at 275/50x20

Yokohama ADVAN S.T.

#34 ·
Andrie, unless someone preempted me, please add: 255/50R19 on Nokian WR G2 on my 2008 V8 A/S

Supplier: MK Tire, NJ, price $203/tire plus ship (made in Russia)

siberian
Greg, interesting that I can only find that size on MK Tire's website and not on any of Nokian's official sites. Wonder if this has been discontinued, maybe...?

Anyway, I added yours.