Maximum Tyre Sizes - T1 & T2 - Club Touareg Forums
 2Likes

post #1 of 282 Old 09-20-2010 Thread Starter
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2004 R5 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Maximum Tyre Sizes - T1 & T2

I've started compiling a list of the biggest tyres for each wheel size, that can be fited to the T1 and T2 Touaregs.

We often see the question: "What is the biggest/widest tyre I can fit to this wheel?", so the idea is to get as much info as possible of actual fitments by members and to update the list on a regular basis.

If your setup is pushing the limits of what's possible, please post here, the following info:
  • Tyre size eg. 265/65R17
  • Tyre brand and model/type eg. Bridgestone Dueler A/T D694
If fitted to a non-standard wheel, please specifiy:
  • Wheel size eg. 7.5Jx17
  • Offset eg. ET55
If you have a thread/post describing the fitment, please post a link to the thread.

If you have any comments/problems/concerns, please add it as well.

Lets see how many responses we get. If we get enough input, I'll make this a sticky for quick reference for all members.

Keep in mind that there could be two parameters that determine the maximum tyre size; the overall diameter, as well as the width. You might find that going to a 32" tyre means you can only go up to 265 width, for example, but you can fit a 295 wide tyre if you decrease the diameter, so we're interested in both cases.

The list also contains the OE sizes as well as recommended off-road tyre sizes, for reference. Currently it only shows up to 21" wheels, as this is the biggest OE size, but I would like to extend it to the 22" and 23" sizes as well.

The more info we get together, the better. So lets pull together and see what we can come up with.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Max Trye & Wheel Combo's Rev10.pdf (18.6 KB, 5271 views)

Relocated to Aus. Starting fresh.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to AndrieK For This Useful Post:
corporatepolicies (05-29-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 282 Old 09-20-2010
Touareg Addict

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Thumbs up

T'is a good idea AndrieK. I'll dig up the specs for the Hankook Dynapro AT/M RF10 18". A tyre "ready reckoner" is worth the effort. It's not easy getting tyres selected right for these bloody vehicles. I've already ready too many "not happy Jan's" where tyres were not up to the job. And it takes a lot of effort to read reviews and research tyres, then work out what's legal (here) and etc, etc.

BTW, I use the phrase "not happy Jan" a lot...it's Aussie...humour:

- 4xmotion 3.0 V6TDI - never missed a beat.SOLD - 04/2012
A truly great vehicle
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!!!! replaced with Passat and Navara

2007 - VW Crafter 3.5 MWB 2.5 TDI (Steinbauer ECU). German build.
2006 -
VW Caddy 1.9 TDI 6-spd manual...retired. Polish build.
2009 - VW Caddy Maxi 1.9 TDI DSG, Polish build,
2011 - VW Passat 125 TDI Highline DSG..... German build. Runs on fumes.
2012 - Navara D22 2.5 TD dual cab, chipped +400nm, 3" hi-flow exhaust, 3" lift (boat tractor). Jap build.

post #3 of 282 Old 09-20-2010
Touareg Addict

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Here's a link to the Dynapro specs - I guess you can extract the info you need from here and add to the file.

Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10

IMO - don't go bigger that the 60 profile as you run the risk with intercooler slat rubbing with wheel articulation. I also feel 265 is the max.

- 4xmotion 3.0 V6TDI - never missed a beat.SOLD - 04/2012
A truly great vehicle
!!!! replaced with Passat and Navara

2007 - VW Crafter 3.5 MWB 2.5 TDI (Steinbauer ECU). German build.
2006 -
VW Caddy 1.9 TDI 6-spd manual...retired. Polish build.
2009 - VW Caddy Maxi 1.9 TDI DSG, Polish build,
2011 - VW Passat 125 TDI Highline DSG..... German build. Runs on fumes.
2012 - Navara D22 2.5 TD dual cab, chipped +400nm, 3" hi-flow exhaust, 3" lift (boat tractor). Jap build.

post #4 of 282 Old 09-21-2010 Thread Starter
Touareg Addict

Updated...

No one else...?

post #5 of 282 Old 09-21-2010

Second Vehicle: is not a VW
I have mounted General Grabber AT2 on my Treg but not in maximum tiresize. Ive got 255/60R18 on 8" wide rim, offset ET57

You will find tire specs here: General Tire - Off-Road and Performance Tires - The Tires - Light Truck
post #6 of 282 Old 09-21-2010
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V10 TDI
255/60/18 (Continental) on the V10 and it just touches the soft plastic on full turn (when tyres are new).

V10 MY08 Black Magic, 18" wheels with 255/60R18 Conti A/T tyres, sunroof, OEM towbar, reversing camera plus, RNS 510, leather trim, heated seats/mirrors, air suspension, black piano ins, brake contoller, UHF(Icom 440), HF (Icom 706), low range, bonnet protector, headlight protectors.
post #7 of 282 Old 09-21-2010 Thread Starter
Touareg Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
255/60/18 (Continental) on the V10 and it just touches the soft plastic on full turn (when tyres are new).
See this is where it gets interesting...

I assume you have ContiCrossContact A/T's...? I can't find an overall diameter spec for these tyres. Can you maybe see if you can find something from the guys you bought it from?

Theoretically, this is a 30" tyre. Even the 265/65R17's I used to run are bigger (30.5") and I had miles of clearance even before I lifted the Treg, so it's really weird that it touches the wheel arch moulding on your V10...

post #8 of 282 Old 09-21-2010
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V10 TDI
Yep, Cross Contact A/T's. Will try and get the diameter and post, although Singh might know this one already.

V10 MY08 Black Magic, 18" wheels with 255/60R18 Conti A/T tyres, sunroof, OEM towbar, reversing camera plus, RNS 510, leather trim, heated seats/mirrors, air suspension, black piano ins, brake contoller, UHF(Icom 440), HF (Icom 706), low range, bonnet protector, headlight protectors.
post #9 of 282 Old 09-21-2010

Touareg: 2007 V6
Second Vehicle: 2007 V6
265/65r17 Michelin LTX AT2...30.56 inch diameter according to discount tire. Probably will be the only tire I ever put on another SUV... expensive but the ride and how quiet they are is amazing. When at discount tire me and a buddy (the manager) looked at them at full turn and from what i can remember the tires did not have very much room at all from the inside of the wheel well...My buddy said that 265/70 in this tire most likely would have rubbed at least a little.
2007 v6 w/o air
post #10 of 282 Old 09-21-2010 Thread Starter
Touareg Addict

Updated with the Michelins. Awaiting more data on the Conti's.

I decided I'll add everything that you guys post and just sort them according to overall diameter. So keep'em coming...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode