Inflatable Spare Tire = Fail - Club Touareg Forums
Club Touareg Forums  

Go Back   Club Touareg Forums > Club Touareg Technical Forums > Running Gear & On-Road Suspension Mods

Join Forest River Forums Today

Old 11-24-2008   #1

Inflatable Spare Tire = Fail

First Post here...

My mom got a nail through one of her tires the other day, and we had to use the spare tire for the first time on the Touareg.

I think VW is going to replace the tire, but I just thought I'd share the pix cause it looks whacky!

Just wondering if anyone else had this expereince, or if we inflated it wrong?

Old 11-24-2008   #2
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V6
Second Vehicle: Can't afford one
Wierd,looks like it didn't inflate right,sorta looks like it should be pushed down on the rim.

Old 11-24-2008   #3

Get all the air out of it, refill. I did the same thing one time, too much air
Old 11-25-2008   #4

It does look wiered but as you continue to pump it up to 3.5 bar it suddenly comes right. I used mine in a game reserve with rhino watching me so I just went right on pumping the tire as I needed to get out of there as before the rhinos charged.
Old 12-08-2008   #5

Same thing happened to me this weekend. That stupid deflated spare, I wanted to keep pumping, but felt as though i'd have an exploded tire on my hands. I deflated a few times and tried to push it down on the rim more, but no luck. SO i am confused, should i have just kept pumping and it would straighten out? What a pain. Our first real snow storm and i had to drive my brother in laws Lexus home. ... Then came the patch / plug conversations. NTB was open on sunday so i hit them up for a plug. They said they dont plug, but they do patch, said that plugs are no good. But reading on line thats a controversial subject. I myself just wanted back on the road so it wasnt much of a debate, i said fix it with the patch then. Now i am back on the road, and waiting for the next snow.
Old 12-08-2008   #6
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2007 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2004 V8
They did the right thing. Patch is the way to go. A plug-N-Patch is what they used. It fills the hole and seals the tire. The only way to repair speed rated tires.
Old 12-08-2008   #7

Just keep pumping!!!! The tire will finally assume the correct shape and will not explode. It's no pain compared to running away from agressive Rhinos with a heavy tire on your head. I do undrerstand your pain of being forced to drive a Lexus instead of your 'egg!!!!
Old 12-08-2008   #8

Thanks man. Yeah no Rhinos just a bunch of drunk family members at a party all "helping" me change a tire. They also told me that my tire was going to explode, which it did look odd. SO i stopped pumping. Stay clear of the Rhinos.
Old 12-10-2008   #9

Thanks guys.
footose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2008   #10

My 09 Touareg V6 TDI that I ordered in August for November delivery is still in Indonesian customs as of now. VW Indonesia knew it would be late and the CEO of VW Indonesia (Indonesian family very very rich) has many family cars ranging from new Mercedes to new Touareg to a brand new Tiguan to new and older various Japanese cars. So the CEO felt bad about mine being late and gave me his personal Touareg (not his company car Touareg) to drive while I wait for mine.

I have put about 1000kms on it in the last 3 1/2 weeks and ran it up to 200km an hour today (it felt just like my sold 07 Mercedes E280, the faster you get it the smoother it feels) when traveling out of town. On my way back I had a flat about 40km away from home. Had a nice pair of business slacks on and was too tired to screw with it. Called the head of the shop and he sent the 24 hour road side assistance.

The guys got there and started pumping up the spare, it looked exactly like the tire above, I remembered this thread and thought what if this thing blows. The thing looked ugly, of the 2 guys one was experienced the other not, the inexperienced stopped pumping and screwed around trying to push it in place. The experienced guy came back turned the pump back on and I stepped over behind the quarter panel of the Touareg and watched, sure enough, 4 to 5 more minutes of pumping and the tire came good. They slipped that baby on and I got on the toll road and limped back with the speed control set at 79km while all others passed me.

I still think I am going to get a full size spare and install it in the back.

My 09 should be in my hands as a 23rd or a 24th of December Xmas present.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.