How fast have your brakes worn? - Page 2 - Club Touareg Forums
 1Likes

post #11 of 48 Old 02-08-2017
The Moderator!

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno555 View Post
VW does 70% bias to rear, to prevent nose dip.
At 79K I still have the original rear pads on mine and have done two sets of fronts. Second set of fronts I did pads only and I believe that to be a bad move since they wore too quickly. The third set got a new set of rotors. I plan to do the complete rear when the sensor finally goes off.

2010 Alaska Grey/Anthracite V6 TDI- Lux,Tech, Air and Hitch
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

04 Offroad Grey V6, gone, but will never be forgotten.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 48 Old 02-08-2017 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Took a look at the pads. I didn't take them out but they look worn, but not the 4mm required to set off the wear sensors? Thoughts. Pics are posted left front right front and left rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #13 of 48 Old 02-08-2017

Touareg: 2015 V6 TDI
Garage
My 2016 has just ticked over 30,000km (just under 20K miles).
I was really surprised to find my rear pads were worn down to around 5mm!
I replaced my fronts with Bendix after about 15,000km just to get rid of the dust and the fronts were barely worn at the time. They're down to about 10mm at the moment.
I previously had a Gen 1 cayenne (same as a 7L touareg) and only replaced the rear pads about 3 times (and the rotors once) in about 280,000km, so this is a real surprise.
I do a reasonable bit of towing, so it'll be interesting to see how the bendix hold up.
I've used the Bendix on my old Cayenne and they were fine, much less dust and similar stopping, not quite as "bitey" as the OEM pads.
BTW the stealer told me I had to also replace the rear discs, I told them forget it, they haven't even worn 1 mm yet. wanted $1,100 for the whole job. $500 for the pads. Got the bendix rear pads for $140.
They outright rejected this as a warranty item also. The aussie warranty specifically excludes these wear items.

post #14 of 48 Old 02-09-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V10 TDI
That's all fine aout the front/rear bias but most of them wear the fronts more than the rears. Usually get 20-30% more life from the rear set than the front. Pad limit (how much friction material left on the pad) is 2mm or about 3/32" and considering the average new thickness of pad is 12mm (varies a bit beween models) giving you 10mm to wear then if say you have 6mm left you have used 60% of your brake life so far. John

'08 R50 Biscay Blue, RNS510 sat.nav+camera, electric tailgate, tow bar
post #15 of 48 Old 02-09-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philth View Post
Took a look at the pads. I didn't take them out but they look worn, but not the 4mm required to set off the wear sensors? Thoughts. Pics are posted left front right front and left rear.

Hard to really tell from the pics but your rear brake looks OK for a bit (quite a bit of chamfer left on that pad). Your fronts look like there's only a couple mm left before they hit the squeal tab. Don't know anything about your driving habits, but at the rate you've burned through these you should replace all four corners sooner rather than later. And since this thread will get there eventually, I replaced with Raybestos pads, which wear slower but require a little more initial effort. Search the forum for brake threads and you'll see every kind of pad tried and argued, then make your own choice.

When I replaced my brakes (2010 TDI), the rears had more pad left, the fronts tripped the sensors. Fronts definitely wore faster than the rear, and there was a much deeper lip on the front rotors. I got 77,000 miles out of mine with lots of mountain driving, but I have a diesel and they're usually a bit easier on the brakes unless towing frequently.
post #16 of 48 Old 02-09-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
I have over 56,000 miles on my original set so far.. No problems at all.
post #17 of 48 Old 02-10-2017 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Brief update.

The wear indicator didn't pop up yesterday as I started my engine to go home and it's been off ever since. I have an appt scheduled for tomorrow for the dealer to look at since it's still under warranty.

post #18 of 48 Old 02-10-2017
Touareg Guru

Gouge alert!

Gouge alert!

DIVE! DIVE! DIVE!

Excellent Wikipedia info on all models:

Buying or just bought a T1 or a T2? ESSENTIAL READING:

Useful tip! Search this forum using Google or Bing by typing in site:
color="black"> word word word
post #19 of 48 Old 02-10-2017 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Haha. I'm ready to have them explain to me why a sensor would trigger, then go off, but my brakes are bad. I'll be changing them myself if they actually show me that they are worn close to the 2 mm limit.

post #20 of 48 Old 02-11-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V10 TDI
Hey Philth, from the pics the rear has hardly got any wear but the fronts are probably about 2/3rds worn which seems too much but as people say it depends on driving habits and topography. Lots of hills or towing means more wear. Probably get the front callipers checked to se if they are binding at all id you think driving habits didn't cause this amount of wear although from the rear wear it seems it isn't you. JOhn

'08 R50 Biscay Blue, RNS510 sat.nav+camera, electric tailgate, tow bar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode