Help in getting the proper tires! - Club Touareg Forums
 6Likes

post #1 of 14 Old 01-11-2017 Thread Starter

Question Help in getting the proper tires!

Hi guys. I'm a newcomer here. I want to buy a new set of tires for my car and I'm unsure as to what will fit and what not.
To start off, I have a 2006 VW Touareg 2.5 TDI, 128KW, pre-facelift, model code 7LA, with air suspension equipped. Current tyres are winter tyres, 255/55 R18.

I was looking into either the Wrangler Duratracs or Goodyear Silent Armor as i plan to do quite some offroading in the time to come.
Before starting this thread, I have looked around the forum and I've seen due to the different manufacturing of the Touaregs(model year, engines, etc) that some people get a tad bit more tire clearance around than others because of the vents on the left side(driver side) and I wanted to be sure before making this investment.

So, I have attached a photo of the tire clearance. Looking at the car, the vents are only located on the driver left side, with no other stuff to come in to rub whatsoever at all.

My question(s) are: do the Duratracs or Silent Armors come in any size that will fit the car without any rubbing? Are there any other tires that do well in any weather condition and are quiet on the street? And lastly, is anyone here able to share their experience having these tires and especially having the vents in the way?

Thank you for reading this and Have a nice day!

PS: As for the 4x4 capability of the car, mine comes equipped with these(see photo). From my understanding, there was one more thing in the back. What does that do and how big a difference does it make?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170104_145154.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	444.7 KB
ID:	167698   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170104_150348.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	354.6 KB
ID:	167706  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-11-2017
Touareg Guru

Where in the world are you?

The normally accepted maximum wheel/tire diameter that will fit any Touareg is 31.5 inches. One or two have pushed the boundary a little further and that's when they may get rubbing. [The standard factory fitted wheel/tire overall diameter for all Touaregs is 29 inches give or take a fraction.]

The downside of oversize tires is slower acceleration and poorer fuel consumption, but the speedo will be more accurate!

Do you have air suspension?

Take the time to read this thread thoroughly ASAP. You will learn a lot.

Buying a used Touareg. What to look for. - myTreg forums

A key concern on any 2.5 Tdi [and the V10] with no DPF fitted is using EXACTLY the CORRECT engine oil to VW 505.01 or VW 506.01 spec.

Nothing else will do if you want to avoid expensive premature camshaft lobe wear.

Even VW dealers can get this wrong!

Did you get a handbook/manual with the car? If not, pick one up on e-bay and read it!
vw26 likes this.

Excellent Wikipedia info on all models:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Buying or just bought a T1 or a T2? ESSENTIAL READING:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Useful tip! Search this forum using Google or Bing by typing in site:
color="black"> word word word
The Following User Says Thank You to noobytoogy For This Useful Post:
vw26 (01-12-2017)
post #3 of 14 Old 01-11-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: Other
The OP says the vehicle has air suspension.

Your clearance may be different with the air vents. I put Duratrac's on my gasser. They can take 17" wheels, though.

You'd have to look and see if you can get the Duratrac's in 18" size or not. If you can, they are GREAT. Good offroad (for what a Touareg can do. No extreme rock crawling! LOL!) and good in the snow, too! Very grippy, IMHO. Much better than a standard "mud-terrain" type tire.

Best way to find out is to have the tire shop put a set on and check the clearance for you before you leave the garage. :- )
vw26 likes this.

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:
The Following User Says Thank You to FSJ Guy For This Useful Post:
vw26 (01-12-2017)

post #4 of 14 Old 01-11-2017
Touareg Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSJ Guy View Post

Quite right! The increased ride height on the off road setting is useful.

All Touaregs can take 17inch wheels apart from the V10 which is 18 inches minimum.

If you decide to get a set of 17s which are often available and allow you to have a dedicated set of off road wheels and tires with the advantage of deeper sidewalls, you need wheels with 5x120 PCD bolt holes which ONLY fit the R5 as all other Touareg wheels are 5x130 PCD.
vw26 likes this.

Excellent Wikipedia info on all models:

Buying or just bought a T1 or a T2? ESSENTIAL READING:

Useful tip! Search this forum using Google or Bing by typing in site:
color="black"> word word word
vw26 (01-12-2017)
post #5 of 14 Old 01-12-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobytoogy View Post
Where in the world are you?

The normally accepted maximum wheel/tire diameter that will fit any Touareg is 31.5 inches. One or two have pushed the boundary a little further and that's when they may get rubbing. [The standard factory fitted wheel/tire overall diameter for all Touaregs is 29 inches give or take a fraction.]

The downside of oversize tires is slower acceleration and poorer fuel consumption, but the speedo will be more accurate!

Do you have air suspension?

Take the time to read this thread thoroughly ASAP. You will learn a lot.

A key concern on any 2.5 Tdi [and the V10] with no DPF fitted is using EXACTLY the CORRECT engine oil to VW 505.01 or VW 506.01 spec.

Nothing else will do if you want to avoid expensive premature camshaft lobe wear.

Even VW dealers can get this wrong!

Did you get a handbook/manual with the car? If not, pick one up on e-bay and read it!
Hey. Thanks for your reply and sorry for the late post(everyone). I appreciate a the information you have given me, and I even discovered some new things I did not know about from your link, very useful to any touareg owner!

So in theory, if any Touareg model supports up to 31.5 inches, I was looking at the Duratracs, size of 265/70 R16 or 245/75 R16. The reason of why I'm going R16 is because these are currently in stock at my local dealer, and any R17 is currently out of stock. And any R18 is way out of the question here.

Looking at the official tire sticker on my driver door, it would seem the Touareg does take R16, with a minimum of 235/70 R16, 105H, 7Jx16. And official specs state that either Duratrac tire is within diameter limits, being around 30.5-30.6 out of 31.5. So in theory, they would fit just fine.

As for the engine oil, yes I believe I got the right one. Ever since I got the car I have been using Castrol Magnatec Edge 5W-40, and it's been working lovely. I do have air suspension, yes, and I have the car manual.

Correct me if i'm wrong but while i was browsing these forums i have encountered few situations where some people couldn't fit R16 rims on the car due to something related to brake discs being of a certain dimension. Although, this shouldn't be the case here right? To be honest, I can't recall people using lower than R17, and I do wonder.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-12-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSJ Guy View Post

Your clearance may be different with the air vents. I put Duratrac's on my gasser. They can take 17" wheels, though.

You'd have to look and see if you can get the Duratrac's in 18" size or not. If you can, they are GREAT. Good offroad (for what a Touareg can do. No extreme rock crawling! LOL!) and good in the snow, too! Very grippy, IMHO. Much better than a standard "mud-terrain" type tire.

Best way to find out is to have the tire shop put a set on and check the clearance for you before you leave the garage. :- )
I appreciate your reply, thanks for the info. I can see you're loving your tires, quite right . It would be the first time for me that i fit kind-of offroad tires on the car and I'm pretty confident that these are the right decision but I'm also taking into concern here going from R18 rims to R16, and besides that the ride quality on the street, as they would certainly be used there a lot of the time. Although from reading lots of reviews these seem to be doing good on the street, minimal noise and ride quality feels smooth as any other tire.
If i may ask, what is your experience with these on the street? How do they feel at first, going from say normal summer/winter tires and how do they do in the snow? Do they begin to feel noisy and sluggish after a certain set of KM driven? Also, I have checked with suppliers around and they don't have any other size besides the two R16 sizes mentioned in the above post and some R17( but these are of high diameter - 32.5 and bigger ). So my only option would be either get in R16 size or look for another tire.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-12-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Quite right! The increased ride height on the off road setting is useful.

All Touaregs can take 17inch wheels apart from the V10 which is 18 inches minimum.

If you decide to get a set of 17s which are often available and allow you to have a dedicated set of off road wheels and tires with the advantage of deeper sidewalls, you need wheels with 5x120 PCD bolt holes which ONLY fit the R5 as all other Touareg wheels are 5x130 PCD.
Hey. That's quite so, this model only takes 5x120 on the rims. Pretty weird they did it this way. Do you have any knowledge though if the car can take R16 rims? On the driver tire sticker it says it does, but I haven't seen anyone driving a Touareg with R16 rims, if ever. By the way, in the OP, i have posted a picture with the HIGH/LOW/4x4 capability of the car, the little knob that you use to rotate in ''extreme'' situations. If the car came fully equipped, it would have had one more option in the back. What is that called and what does it do/how much a difference does it make?
Thanks for your message!
post #8 of 14 Old 01-12-2017
Touareg Guru

Rear diff lock was an option on some cars. You'd need to be a pretty experienced off roader to get deliberately yourself into situations where it would be useful. From what you have written you are not so I would recommend you join a local 4x4 club where people will be glad to get you started and to always go off roading with others more experienced than yourself.

The reason the 2.5 has different PCD wheels is to keep costs down as it was the entry model in the range so it shared some parts with VW Transporter vans.

I don't recall anyone fitting 16s but you now know where to look for them if you want to be the guinea pig - go to the van's parts bins.
vw26 likes this.
vw26 (01-12-2017)
post #9 of 14 Old 01-12-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Rear diff lock was an option on some cars. You'd need to be a pretty experienced off roader to get deliberately yourself into situations where it would be useful. From what you have written you are not so I would recommend you join a local 4x4 club where people will be glad to get you started and to always go off roading with others more experienced than yourself.

The reason the 2.5 has different PCD wheels is to keep costs down as it was the entry model in the range so it shared some parts with VW Transporter vans.

I don't recall anyone fitting 16s but you now know where to look for them if you want to be the guinea pig - go to the van's parts bins.
I'm not really much the type pushing the car beyond its limits in a 4x4 adventure, not my type of thing, but i do enjoy some off-roading from time to time, be it snowy mountain, some bit of mud, etc. Different locations where i travel.
So, you trying to point out that better no tires than going as low as 16 inch? Is it that bad/ugly though? I've seen 16 inches on big Toyota trucks that are modded into off-roading only and they look muscular - good looking with a strong car body.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-12-2017
Touareg Guru

Stick with the wheels you have got and find a suitably sized and locally available 18 inch tire to take you to 30 or 31 inches.
vw26 likes this.
vw26 (01-12-2017)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode