Help in getting the proper tires! - Page 2 - Club Touareg Forums
 6Likes

post #11 of 14 Old 01-12-2017
Touareg Guru

As for the oil, it has nothing to do with "working lovely".

You need to check if you have a DPF or not. If not, then you MUST check you are using VW 505.01 or VW 506.01 oil unless you want a very expensive top end rebuild. Nothing else will do.
The Following User Says Thank You to noobytoogy For This Useful Post:
vw26 (01-12-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 01-12-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobytoogy View Post
As for the oil, it has nothing to do with "working lovely".

You need to check if you have a DPF or not. If not, then you MUST check you are using VW 505.01 or VW 506.01 oil unless you want a very expensive top end rebuild. Nothing else will do.
Don't get me wrong, with that expression I was trying to say that yes, the oil i use does meet the VW requirements. I have never used an oil that was not recommended. I checked what was required at the time and sticked with it ever since. And no, the car doesn't have DPF. And the oil is the required one for models without DPF. 5W-40.
post #13 of 14 Old 01-12-2017 Thread Starter

Otherwise, i don't think it would have lasted me 153k km so far.
Best wishes and thanks for the help. I will think this through as it seems R16 on the Touareg isn't really in favor.

What other tires like the Duratrac's can you guys give some advice about that will work with R17 and R18 wheels AND are within 31.5 diameter? Preferably good in off-road and quiet on the street.

post #14 of 14 Old 01-12-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: Other
If you can fit the 17" wheels, DO IT. More sidewall is always better for off roading, which sounds like something you would like to do more of. :- )

You do not have the mechanical rear locking differential, according to your photo. But the ABS computer will try to simulate one by preventing the wheel with the least amount of traction from spinning too much. It actually is pretty good, but requires wheel spin to work, so it can eat up tires in extreme situations.

But you do have a center locking differential, which (IMHO) is nice because it allows you to use low range without locking any of the differentials. This allows you to crawl on pavement or turn on dirt easier. But regardless, you do not want to use low range on pavement or hard surfaces for more than 30 feet or so.

The suggestion to join a 4wd club is a good one. If they scoff at your "soft roader", remind them that you have almost 11" of clearance with your air suspension and you have a locking rear diff that is factory installed.
:- )
vw26 likes this.

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to FSJ Guy For This Useful Post:
vw26 (01-13-2017)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode