Fixing Dampening Valve electric fault - I though I had this, help needed! :( - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 7 Old 02-11-2017 Thread Starter

Fixing Dampening Valve electric fault - I though I had this, help needed! :(

Ive been fixing up a rough Treg V10 2004 for the last two weeks. The last issue I have on the suspension seemed to be easy, with only two expected solutions (faulty shock or break in wiring):

Quote:
1 Fault Found:
Rear Left Dampening Adjustment Valve (n33
First I replaced the rear suspension with a lower mileage set.. error persists.
I then concluded there must be a break in the wiring from the shock itself to the J197 level control module in the trunk/boot. So I found the offending wirings on the harness (Pin 119 and Pin 114, Blue and Grey wires) and spliced them in to the connection on the shock (quick job, leaving the tailgate open). To my surprise the error remained (appears 30secs of driving).

The other thing I noticed is the wiring colour is changing somewhere from the J197 to the n338 as the connectors on the n338 side (at shock) are Pink and Grey. The wiring diagram has these colours on N150 (I only noticed this now). Cant post images yet as post count too low but I had them to help illustrate, frustrating.

So perhaps my issue is not really between J197 (pins 114 + 119) but actually on Pins 1 (on 10 pin connector.. where is this?) and 20 (on 121pin connector as with N338 wiring above?). There is T10m, the 10 pin connector and why is VCDS telling me to look at n338 and not n150?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-11-2017 Thread Starter

Spent some more time looking at diagrams and spoke to an electrician and car guy... thinking is now to forget about the N150 stuff (guessing thats internal to the strut?). The wiring comes up from the shock/strut to a 6 pin connector then on to the J197 module. Having checked 3 shocks on this side with both original and bypassed wiring this only leaves the J197 itself as defective. Unless anyone has any other bright ideas, Ill grab a used one on eBay. Im pretty sure I have the old 200hz system too so will have to get remember I need a crappy old module.

Are they known to go bad?
post #3 of 7 Old 02-20-2017 Thread Starter

Right.. so all quiet here but Ive been still working to fix it. Got a module from a Porsche Cayenne (part: 7L0907553E). Sure enough:

- the updated (vs the 7L6907553B original) 7L0907553E module can read the damper just fine, the original fault was indeed the module!
- the 7L0907553E however needs to be adapted to the level height as it has no calibrated baseline. Should be no problem right, just follow the proceedure right??
Ross-Tech: VAG-COM: Suspension Level Control Calibration

However on Adaptation channel 05 I get the channel not avaialble error, which is the Save function for the calibration.

I tried multiple codings (coding it as a Cayenne, both touaregs, both markets etc) but made no difference. Very frustrating, as everything else is working fine, including saving adaptations 1-4 (all corner heights) but just cant save it!

Ill look into this online, but any ideas?

post #4 of 7 Old 02-20-2017
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Garage
Drat. It does appear that the problem is your original controller.

About the only help I could find online was this. 5 hours left.

SUSPENSION CONTROL MODULE VOLKSWAGEN TOUAREG 2004 7L6907553B OEM

There does not seem to be much information online about that controller.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-20-2017
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Garage
OK, I found some info on the controller and some Revision changes on that controller.

Hope it helps.

VWVortex.com - How to Adapt (Adjust, Calibrate) Phaeton Suspension & Ride Height

See Post #23

Quote:
A few posts higher up in this thread, almost exactly one month ago, I wrote "I am not aware of any change in coding or functionality as a result of this increment in controller PN, however, it is possible that things might be a bit different." Well, it turns out that the newer controllers (C suffix with software revision level 1121) are functionally very different from the controllers on the 2004 Phaetons.
The recoding process described above will not work on a 2005 or later Phaeton.
The following shows the part number, part number suffix, software revision level and coding for the suspension controller in a typical 2004 Phaeton:
Address 34: Level Control
Controller: 3D0 907 553 B
Component: LUFTFDR.-CDC- 3C1V0 1101
Coding: 0015500

This shows the same information for a typical 2005 Phaeton:
Controller: 3D0 907 553 C
Component: LUFTFDR.-CDC- 3C3V0 1121
Coding: 0007722

The first indication we had of a possible problem was the series of posts by blueabdjetta and vwgotech, above, telling of the problems they were having trying to recode a 2005 Phaeton. At the Birmingham, AL get-together this past week, David and I attempted to recode and re-adapt Robert's 2005 Phaeton, and no matter what we did, the controller would not accept any change to the coding of 0007722. Between the two of us, David and I have recoded and re-adapted about 30 Phaetons, so it is unlikely that we were doing anything wrong (e.g. leaving a door or lid open during the adaptation process).
This change to the part number suffix, software revision level, and coding protocol on the 2005 Phaetons is universal and not specific to North America. I have just looked over some scans made of 2005 Phaetons at the Dresden, Germany Phaeton Owner Get-Together held in April 2005, and I see that Phaetons produced for the German market also have the newer controller, newer software, and newer coding protocol. Below is data from a 2005 V6 TDI, produced for the German market:
Controller: 3D0 907 553 C
Component: LUFTFDR.-CDC- 3C3V0 1122
Coding: 0005521

As you can see, this car has the same newer part number and suffix, essentially the same software load, and the same change in coding protocol as the 2005 NAR Phaetons. So, at least we know that VW of A is not out to make life difficult for owners - the change is universal.
I am sure that there is some way to recode the newer controllers, but, we will have to find this out on our own. VW Dresden's unspoken (but well understood, worldwide) policy on vehicle modifications goes like this: "We won't tell you how to make a change that we would not allow a dealer to make, but, if you figure it out on your own, we will then tell you - off the record - about any safety or functionality consequences that you should be aware of if you plan to go ahead and change things." I think everyone will agree that this is a pretty reasonable stance on their part. So, now we need to figure out a way to recode 2005 Phaeton suspension controllers.
Note that the adaptation process remains unchanged - in other words, the actual calibration of the controller (what VW calls 'adaptation') is the same for either the B or the C suffix controller. The only difference is that we cannot change the coding of the C suffix controller, following the same procedure that works for the A or B suffix controller.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-20-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyt View Post
Drat. It does appear that the problem is your original controller.

About the only help I could find online was this. 5 hours left.

SUSPENSION CONTROL MODULE VOLKSWAGEN TOUAREG 2004 7L6907553B OEM

There does not seem to be much information online about that controller.
Thanks! I might go for that (saw it but was trying to avoid import duties on non-EU sourced parts). Ill check one last thing tomorrow, I think the problem with Channel 5 (saving) being unavailable is that the Porsche measures ride height differently.. their values for baseline are 195mm instead of the 495 we measure. Effectively Im trying to tell a Cayenne that its actually 300mm too high in the air and therefore lower yourself my 300mm.. thankfully the controllers have built in limits to stop extreme values being entered, hence no channel 5 (save),

Since the system is offset (ie at speed lower by X amount) based I think all I need to do is tell it that its succesfully at "normal" height and it should afterwards work fine.. I think!
post #7 of 7 Old 02-21-2017 Thread Starter

So todays update, got the system working in some manner, my theory was correct, the Cayenne wont accept the much higher figures done during normal Touareg coding. So I just used their values as baselines and used them as offsets for my measures:

Quote:
Touareg fronts should be 497 / Cayenne Fronts should be 190
Measured:
fl 492 = 190-7=183
fr 492 = 190-7=183

Touareg rears should 502 / Cayenne rears should be 237
Measured:
rl 512 = 237+10= 247
rr 506 = 237+4= 241

All accepted and working.. however the level control selector doesnt work. I know the Cayenne has a different physical selector but I hoped the VW selector was wired the same. Guess not!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode