2Likes

post #31 of 52 Old 02-13-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 R5 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouaregNut View Post
Ok let me try again. I just want to know how do I figure out which pads to replace? The brake pad warning light has just come on and I am planning to place the order.
Visually inspect the discs apparent condition. What is the remaining metal thickness? Surface wears out evenly or not, any grooving? Creak sound? Use calliper to check remaining pads thickness. Usually the front ones do greater job and wears out faster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 02-13-2017
Touareg Guru

You need to measure the thickness of each of the 4 discs to see if they are now undersize and should be replaced, or whether there is still enough service thickness to run another set of pads.

Some people only get one set of pads to one set of discs, others sometimes manage two sets of pads.

However there is a possibility the discs will go undersize in terms of thickness during the life of the second set of pads so you should carefully consider disc replacement.

Visual inspection of the pads' remaining frictio matrial thickness will guide you on which axle ALL the pads needs replacing.

The way in which your first post was worded and your repeat post worries me! Perhaps you should be entrusting the job to a good independent workshop.
post #33 of 52 Old 02-19-2017

OK I have done some research using my 2004 V8 vin WVGEM77L94D068715 on the OEM parts website parts.vw.com

I even have the parts numbers from the dealer from my last brake job. The real issue is that last letter. Unfortunately the numbers don't seem to match. Does anyone know what it refrs to? Maybe it is laterality or a year model varient and actually the same part.

I actually want to go to the aftermarket and would lov to know. From the dealer and site in parentheses

Front ROTORS 7L6615301N(P) PADS 7L0698151Q(S)

REAR ROTORS 7L8615601C(G) PADS 7L0698451G(H)

2004 V8

post #34 of 52 Old 02-19-2017

While assebmling the parts numbers on the VW site it appears the last number has changed on many of these parts. The website lists the older part as being replaced by the newer. The last number it appears can change.

2004 V8
post #35 of 52 Old 02-19-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouaregNut View Post
Ok let me try again. I just want to know how do I figure out which pads to replace? The brake pad warning light has just come on and I am planning to place the order.
The warning light comes on at approximately 4mm pad thickness. There is no way to check other than to physically measure. Don't include the metal backing plate with your measurement. You can purchase brake pad measurement tools on Amazon, or use a caliper that suits you.

2mm is the minimum acceptable thickness to run them down to, per the manual.

Highly advise replacing the rotors on the front due the pads wearing a groove on them. To verify this, run your fingernail on the outer lip of the rotor. If there is any noticeable step wear, they need to be replaced with the pads.

QPower posted earlier in this thread. Recommend talking to him about specifics and he knows A LOT about brakes on this vehicle.
post #36 of 52 Old 02-19-2017
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2006 V8
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyelise View Post
While assebmling the parts numbers on the VW site it appears the last number has changed on many of these parts. The website lists the older part as being replaced by the newer. The last number it appears can change.
Volkswagen part numbering system - TDIClub Forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer on the TDI Club forums
OK, a quick lesson in how VAG (Volkswagen, A.G.) part numbers work for those who have asked. I am by no means the top expert on this, but I will try to share what I know.

The VAG system uses two seperate systems, one for most all the normal parts, and another for many fasteners, hardware, o-rings, bulbs, etc. I will be discussing the former system that most people would want to be familiar with in dealings with the cars.

The number consists of 9 digits, 3 'sets' of 3, and sometimes a letter (or a couple letters) suffix at the end. Looks something like this: 010 321 371 B. There is a method to the madness, and here is how it works!

The first set denotes what that part fits. This set will typically be one of three types: platform, engine, or transmission. Keep in mind, many early cars (going WAY back here) will use the same set to denote all 3 types. But with all the later stuff, it will be broken down. Now, what do I mean by these 3 types? 'Platform' refers to a specific body or chassis type. 'Engine' is a specific engine that may be used in several platforms. 'Transmission' once again may be used in several platforms. This 3 digit set will tell us what the part fits, and every platform, engine, and transmission will have its own unique code. For instance, if you have a 1998 Jetta, the most common platform codes for that car will be 1H0 or 1HM. If your 1998 Jetta is a TDI and uses the AHU engine, its engine parts will mostly have a 028 code, if those parts are specific to the AHU engine. Its manual transmission will carry a code of 02A.

So if we see a part number that is 1HM xxx xxx x we can assume that whatever the part is, it fits an A3 platform Golf, Jetta, or Cabrio, and it may fit other platforms if they employ the same part.

That first set can be more specific within the platform. For instance, the Jetta is based on the Golf. They share 90% of their parts. But something Jetta specific that is NOT the same as the Golf may have a different 3rd digit. Same goes for different body types within a platform (2 dr versus 4 dr, for instance).

The second set of numbers is the main group. This actually narrows down what the part actually does. The main groups are divided into 9 categories:

1: engine and clutch
2: fuel tank, pipes, exhaust system, heater
3: transmission
4: front axle, differential, and steering
5: rear axle
6: wheels and brakes
7: hand and foot controls, safety covers
8: body and sheetmetal
9: electrical components

The first digit of the second set will denote which main group category the part is from. So, if our part number is xxx 1xx xxx x we know it is an engine or clutch part. This center set will break down even further to get you closer to what the part does. For instance, a '98' denotes a kit of some kind. '21' denotes water cooling parts. So, a part number that has a 198 in its center set is a kit for an engine, like a gasket kit for example. A part number with 121 in its center set is most likely a coolant hose, pipe, a water pump, radiator, etc.

The last set is the part control number, just an actual sequence number and is usually not too important in actually identifying what the part is and what it fits. It just narrows it down the rest of the way to get exact. One useful hint here: if the part in question has a left and a right, like tail lamp lenses, for instance, the RIGHT side will end in an even digit, and the LEFT side will end in an odd digit.

The last little bit is the suffix. These are not always present. Usually this denotes a newer or updated version, but not always. Important note here is that if a VAG part number ends with an X, that denotes that it is a remanufactured part, and will need to be returned for a core.

Now, all the first set codes can be tough to remember, BUT thank goodness Volkswagen has always been very good about putting the part numbers on just about every part in the entire car! This can help you quickly and easily get a replacement. Keep in mind, however, that there are always numerous supercessions as well as omissions, so these are not always 100% reliable.

Ok, so let's say you had some freak rock come flying up and break your brand new Jetta's left outer tail lamp... the part number is 1K5 945 095 J.

1K5 is the A5 Jetta platform set
945 we learned the 9 is electrical, and 45 is the tail lighting code
095 tells is which specific part, and that odd number 5 insures us it is the left side.
J just means the current revision for the US spec Jetta tail lamps

So, when you are tinkering with your car, and you see those numbers on those parts, try it out and see if you can understand how that part got its number! Also, this is very useful when ordering parts, and insuring you get the correct parts.
post #37 of 52 Old 02-19-2017

Thanks very helpful

I would just add that over time some parts have been replaced with newer versions introduced on a different platform. The first 3 series of digits and the last digit may be different but the part still correct for your specific year.

2004 V8
post #38 of 52 Old 02-21-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Tried working on the rear brakes, but could not budge the bolts holding the calipers in place, so now I am going to use a 600 ft-lb impact wrench. Just wanted to get some feedback about using an impact wrench?

My baby: 1969 300SEL 6.3
post #39 of 52 Old 02-26-2017

Touareg: 2005 V6
Hi Njord, what is the address of the Russian site you said we could enter the VIN into and it would give us details?

I can hardly find any site that will do something like that.

Thanks!
post #40 of 52 Old 02-26-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 R5 TDI
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by qurtuba View Post
Hi Njord, what is the address of the Russian site you said we could enter the VIN into and it would give us details?

I can hardly find any site that will do something like that.

Thanks!
See post #4. Click attached picture. The address is there. You have to enter cyrillic letters

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode