Club Touareg Forum banner

Brake upgrade touareg 2.5

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  FreeNet 
#1 ·
Does it worth to upgrade the brakes on a 2.5L TDI (ATE-FN3 with Ø 308 mm disc), did anyone do something like this? I saw that T4 using the same system can be upgraded with aftermarket kits with good results.

It's not clear to me if a V6/V8 larger disc Ø 330 mm (machined to accomodate the 120 mm hub layout) and OEM Brembo caliper (1LC or1LE) be a solution/direct fit?
Is the caliper support on the wheel bearing housing the same for 2.5/V6/V8?

There was a similar question in 2007 (http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f64/r5-upgrade-brake-discs-15283.html), but the thread died at the second post, didn't want to revive it... and the rest i found were about the Brembo system

#2 ·
if you swap out the whole hub from another touareg it could work. Knuckle, disc, caliper, rim, and possibly even sideshafts and front diff as well.

Leave it as is. They R5 has ATE brakes. They break good enough. Don't buy cheap pads!

#4 ·
Leave it as is. They R5 has ATE brakes. They break good enough. Don't buy cheap pads!
Yes, you are probably right (also, it looked like a dead end to me), but I hoped that I am missing something... I wouldn't go in sideshafts/diff/knuckle territory as it is expensive and will probably change the suspension geometry, and not in the right direction.

#3 ·
x2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.