Brake Pad Warning, how long do I have? - Page 4 - Club Touareg Forums

post #31 of 35 Old 08-13-2010
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: Still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by zegm View Post
Badazz,

I wouldn't say what I am doing with the Navy is top secret but it would not be something that should be posted on a board that anyone could view. My work involves developing new defensive equipment.

My son has a friend and his dad worked on F-15's as a contractor but he got a job working on the Predator but is now in Iraq. I hear he is making really good money but he will be away from home and kids for 6 months.

Tell me what is the landing speed of the F-22, they seem to hang in the air on final when they go over my plant! I know they must not weight anything!

That is the job I am going after with the Predator....an Avionics/Electrical Tech. The landing speed of a 22 is like 155 knots afaik. Low approach speed for sure. What really hangs in the air and doesnt seem to move is the C-5. Used to watch them from my porch in Italy come in. Been on those and plenty of other crap....Long flights...lol.

2006 Col Red V8 Pkg 2
2003 Mini Cooper
2002 BMW 325CI
1985 BMW 325e

(formerly Itsaminivan)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 12-19-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Any downside to doing just front discs + pads and not rears? My warning light just lit up. I'm at 2mm remaining pad in fronts and 5mm in rears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #33 of 35 Old 12-19-2016
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V10 TDI
No problems at all BoobyD but keep the pads and discs the same. If you get harder or softer ones it will generally throw the brake balance out. John

'08 R50 Biscay Blue, RNS510 sat.nav+camera, electric tailgate, tow bar

post #34 of 35 Old 12-19-2016
Touareg Guru

It is deemed good practice to replace all four corners at the same time so you maintain braking balance/efficiency as designed and especially so if you were to move away from OEM parts, the latter making very good sense to me.

Trying out the Search function this morning for T3 brake prices (and, yes, you were right, it wasn't easy to find useful $$$ info!) I read somewhere there is about 10 or 12 mm on the pads when new so, if that is right, your rears are only just over half worn.

In that case I think I would do the fronts only with Brembo discs/rotors (if they are close to or below the wear tolerance) and PAGiD pads.

Since this does not involve the rear electric parking brake which has caused a problem for at least a couple of T3 owners when either they or an independent brake shop buggered things up, I would go to a good brake shop rather than pay top dollar at a VW dealer.

If the light has only just come on you have a bit of time to get this sorted.
post #35 of 35 Old 12-19-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Brake Pad Warning, how long do I have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobytoogy View Post
It is deemed good practice to replace all four corners at the same time so you maintain braking balance/efficiency as designed and especially so if you were to move away from OEM parts, the latter making very good sense to me.

Trying out the Search function this morning for T3 brake prices (and, yes, you were right, it wasn't easy to find useful $$$ info!) I read somewhere there is about 10 or 12 mm on the pads when new so, if that is right, your rears are only just over half worn.

In that case I think I would do the fronts only with Brembo discs/rotors (if they are close to or below the wear tolerance) and PAGiD pads.

Since this does not involve the rear electric parking brake which has caused a problem for at least a couple of T3 owners when either they or an independent brake shop buggered things up, I would go to a good brake shop rather than pay top dollar at a VW dealer.

If the light has only just come on you have a bit of time to get this sorted.

Thanks Nooby! A couple of other factors are at play in my decision. I need to use up $500 dealership 'goodwill' $ before Jan 1st and I'm also in limbo with the potential buyback happening. I'll do as you recommend and get the fronts done to keep her rolling and stopping sufficiently until I give it back to VAG, which might not be for many months down the road. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode