Air Suspension Compressor Rebuild - Club Touareg Forums
 1Likes

post #1 of 19 Old 07-02-2013 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: Old heap
Air Suspension Compressor Rebuild

I kept getting running gear fault workshop error message followed by air suspension fault. Decided to try a compressor rebuild after reading some of the forums on here. Found a rebuild kit for $30 on ebay from i6automotive to replace the piston seal and o-ring. Easy install and no more air suspension error message.

2004 V8. Air Suspension. 255/65R17 Cooper Discoverer AT3. Replaced Tiptronic Shifter Assembly. Replaced Alternator/Battery B+ Cable. Replaced Headlight Washer Pressure Cylinder. Intake Flap Pivot Cleaning. Gruven Intake Manifold Linkage Arms. Air Suspension Compressor Rebuild. VAGCOM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-02-2013
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2005 V8
Second Vehicle: Still looking
hi treetz, could you post the link for the kit plz. thank you
post #3 of 19 Old 07-02-2013 Thread Starter

Porsche Cayenne Wabco Air Suspension Compressor Piston Ring Repair Fix Kit | eBay

2004 V8. Air Suspension. 255/65R17 Cooper Discoverer AT3. Replaced Tiptronic Shifter Assembly. Replaced Alternator/Battery B+ Cable. Replaced Headlight Washer Pressure Cylinder. Intake Flap Pivot Cleaning. Gruven Intake Manifold Linkage Arms. Air Suspension Compressor Rebuild. VAGCOM.

post #4 of 19 Old 07-02-2013
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2006 R5 TDI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
great link thanks, can you run me through briefly on the change, i.e. location of compressor etc

Treg-ing addictive as crack but twice as expensive

R5 TDI / Air Sus / BlueFin
post #5 of 19 Old 07-02-2013 Thread Starter

Compressor is located under vehicle, below passenger front. Put treg in xtra high suspension setting. Hold suspension lock until it is locked out. Remove plastic cover underneath passenger side to get at the compressor (T27 bolts). Disconnect the two compressor electrical connections (small flathead screwdriver). Remove the three bolts holding the compressor support (13mm bolts). Tilt the compressor until you can access the two bolts that connect the two cylindrical bodies of the compressor located at the piston head (T27 bolts). Clean around the junction. Pull the parts apart to reveal the o-ring and the piston head. Take note of the piston seal orientation. Replace the piston seal and o-ring. Button it all back up.

I think you could adjust the amount of play the compressor has and make it run more quietly by adjusting the tension on the isolater spring (wide flathead) while you have it accessible, but I did not think of this until after putting it all back together.
Venom13132 likes this.

post #6 of 19 Old 07-02-2013
Touareg Enthusiast

Thanks for taking the time to post the info, helps alot.

post #7 of 19 Old 07-09-2013
Touareg Enthusiast

Just finished the job took 30 mins again thanks

post #8 of 19 Old 07-09-2013
Touareg Enthusiast

Great find! Looks simple enough to do! And saves money by not replacing the entire compressor.

I just hope there is an more cost effective way to replace shocks. I always fear that will go on my treg.

'04 V8, Blue Silver, Vin# 29XXX. 18" Manh. Wheels., Nav, Air Susp, & Parking Sensors.
post #9 of 19 Old 08-30-2013

Second Vehicle: 2004 V8
Just ordered the kit myself. I get a very intermittent "Fault Running Gear Workshop" message every so often that comes on with a beep and then goes out only to come on again. Happens 4-5 times on an around-town trip, eventually settles down. Could be the compressor. Could be any of the famously funky VW sensors. For $30, now I can fix the compressor if/when it goes punk.

2004 Wheat Beige Touareg
2002 Black Porsche Carrera
2005 Midnight Blue Porsche Boxster S
2012 Audi Q5
post #10 of 19 Old 10-15-2013 Thread Starter

The error is back! Consistently. VAG COM reads a pressure sensor intermittent ground. So disappointed!

I am likely going to try the repair kit that includes the air drier from ECS. Anyone have experience with it?

Tags
air suspension , compressor , i6automotive

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode