Air Suspension Compressor Rebuild - Page 2 - Club Touareg Forums
 1Likes

post #11 of 18 Old 10-31-2013

Touareg: 2005 V6
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetz View Post
The error is back! Consistently. VAG COM reads a pressure sensor intermittent ground. So disappointed!

I am likely going to try the repair kit that includes the air drier from ECS. Anyone have experience with it?

It's likely you may have leaks in the air system other than the compressor. Check that the 4 air suspensions are free from leakages before trying the kit again. I have a similar issue too on my V6 Treg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 11-02-2013 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: Old heap
I installed the repair kit 100698010A yesterday and found that the old piston seal was worn. There was black residue from the wear and tear all inside the compressor head. When I took apart the old head/drier I found the desiccant beads to be brown and brittle. I did not open up the new one to see what they are supposed to look like, but I think they were the originals and were no longer removing moisture from the system as evidenced by the rusty spring inside the unit.

Perhaps moisture in the system caused premature wear on the piston seal. No errors on the first ride. I will report again to inform how the repair holds over time.

The desiccant beads discovery makes me think replacing the piston seal and the desiccant beads would be a sufficient repair for someone not willing to buy the whole kit.

2004 V8. Air Suspension. 255/65R17 Cooper Discoverer AT3. Replaced Tiptronic Shifter Assembly. Replaced Alternator/Battery B+ Cable. Replaced Headlight Washer Pressure Cylinder. Intake Flap Pivot Cleaning. Gruven Intake Manifold Linkage Arms. Air Suspension Compressor Rebuild. VAGCOM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Treetz For This Useful Post:
BruceTDI (01-06-2017)
post #13 of 18 Old 08-31-2015
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
How about an updated report? How has the repair held up? Where can I purchase the desiccant replacement?

post #14 of 18 Old 01-06-2017

Touareg: 2009 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
I just used one of the kits to replace the piston ring, works much better now... no errors so far.
I hope I'll not have to do the dryer too.
post #15 of 18 Old 01-06-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetz View Post
The error is back! Consistently. VAG COM reads a pressure sensor intermittent ground. So disappointed!

I am likely going to try the repair kit that includes the air drier from ECS. Anyone have experience with it?
I did a rebuild kit and it only lasted a couple of weeks. Picked up a new compressor from Arnott on Ebay for much less than dealer. has been flawless for 18 mos.

2006 V10 107,000 Off road Gray
See us towing the 25' enclosed Featherlite all over the West
post #16 of 18 Old 01-07-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V8
On the older models (T1, T2?), the drier is supposed to not ever need service. According to an SSP, the incoming air is dried and moisture is absorbed. When it is discharged, it goes through the drier again and the outgoing air is moisturized, thus rejuvenating (drying) the desiccant.

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 18 Old 01-08-2017

Touareg: 2009 V6 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSJ Guy View Post
On the older models (T1, T2?), the drier is supposed to not ever need service. According to an SSP, the incoming air is dried and moisture is absorbed. When it is discharged, it goes through the drier again and the outgoing air is moisturized, thus rejuvenating (drying) the desiccant.
Thanks for the info.
Anyway I'll keep an eye on that ring... probably they (ebay sellers) all buy it from the same supplier in China.

Anyone have an experience with a repair kit that lasted longer then a few weeks?
post #18 of 18 Old 01-08-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V8
I got one on eBay (or Amazon, I can't remember) for less than $40 USD shipped. Seems to be fine. <shrug>

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
air suspension , compressor , i6automotive

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode