Air Shock Might Need Replacing! (Combined Thread, Air Suspension Corrosion Problem) - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 267 Old 01-18-2010 Thread Starter
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Angry Air Shock Might Need Replacing! (Combined Thread, Air Suspension Corrosion Problem)

Moderator Note:
The following threads on this subject:
(My front air suspension blew out at 65mph. - UK Air suspension problem - connector snapped??) have been combined into this thread.

Any posts that might be completely irrelevant as a result of duplication may be removed from the discussion as needed.

I reluctantly went to the dealer today, to go ahead and have the drivers side headlight surgically removed, and have the inner tray replaced with a new one while we where at it. $180+ some labour. Not too bad, thought I'd make a 1/2day of it looking at the new VAGs in the showroom.

Service rep calls me from the waiting/showroom area, and tells me we have to show you something, with a serious look on his face. This is what he showed me below on the passenger side inner wheel well. Took the pictures with the iPhone.

The air hose had snapped off the shock housing as you can see, when the mechanic raised the egg to take off the bumper, in order to remove the headlight assembly. He claims that's when the aluminum hose ending broke off. Now here's the initial, give one a heart attack kicker. The mechanic on the spot beside my truck, told me that this can't be repaired, not only that, but there is no replacement part for it, and that the WHOLE COMPLETE HOUSING (air shock) would have to be replaced. $2880 tax+labour included ! The mechanic went on to say that it was repairable on Audi's air susp, but not the Touareg's. After I swallowed whatever it was that I swallowed and regained my composure, and it was then that I snapped these pictures. I then told them, that with all due respect, it made no sense at all, that because of one bloody small hose snapping off, it necessitated the comlpete replacement of an air strut! No friggin' way!!! And with that blurted out politely by me, as we walked back to sit in the service reps office, and "discuss the situation further", the manager suddenly showed up, and was quite open and honest in saying with no hesitation, as he must have overheard the commotion, that the mechanics prognosis MIGHT have been in all likelihood wrong, and that he seemed to remember a TSB on that particular repair. The hypothetical TSB involved changing some sort off "inner sleeve" within the air shock housing, and he went on to say, that it would be difficult to remove, but it was feasible, but there was STILL A CHANCE, that the air shock would be damaged beyond repair, during the initial old sleeve removal.

I then told the manager that the mechanic had said that it was not possible repair it in any case, and the manager then winked at me, and said I have an other man who will do the job. There's confidence for ya!

So what do you guys think about all this? I'm posting this for 1st, is this a simple repair? Was the mechanic truly BS? Am I about to get wallet sucked for nothing? I'm not in the mood to spend $3000 grand so soon in the game over one lousy hose snapping off. 2nd reason I'm posting this, is so that you members out there with the air suspension, to take notice of this particular area. It truly is prone to aluminum type of oxidation, call it corrosion if you will.

The other side of the truck, the drivers side, although still intact, was also showing signs of corrosion, and the mechanic told me at was a matter of time before it too snaps off. WTF! I took a pic of that also for your viewing pleasure, which would be the one on post#2.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0204.JPG
Views:	2318
Size:	649.2 KB
ID:	7953   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0205.JPG
Views:	2561
Size:	554.5 KB
ID:	7954  

2005 Touareg V8: Sold but not forgotten.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 267 Old 01-18-2010 Thread Starter
Touareg Guru

This is the one on the drivers side. Still intact, but the VW mechanic said that it will go one day soon also. Notice the oxidation around it, and even salt stains I'm supposing is what they are. But does that hose snapping off, really necessitate the complete air shock replacement as per that mechanic???

post #3 of 267 Old 01-18-2010
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
It sounds like they didn't lock the suspension which would have prevented this from occurring. If that is the case they should know before lifting the vehicle. So this is their problem and they are responsible no matter the cost of repair.

mpm T2 TDI
'10 T2 TDI Galapagos - premium tech, lux, 4C air, hitch, RSE, Conner running boards
'97 993 twin turbo polar silver - bone stock
'80 GT3R 'yellow bird' - 2200 pounds and 362 hp of P-car fun

post #4 of 267 Old 01-18-2010
Administrator

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
I see it the same way, if it wasn't broke going in, and the broke it while in their hands, they pay to fix it.

-------------------------------------------------
2013 Touareg TDI Black Pearl / Titan Black
--PREVIOUS TOUAREGS:
'09 TDI, '07 V8 FSI, '04 V10 TDI, '04 VR6
post #5 of 267 Old 01-18-2010 Thread Starter
Touareg Guru

I actually threw that right back at them, but they immediately, with no hesitation, took me to the other side of the truck(post#2 picture), and showed me the one that was still intact, was hanging on by a needles head, saying that it would probably bust on my way out down the street. I then said nothing, they managed to shut my mouth...but now that the two of you's have said what you said here, I've come to realize that I'm an idiot and my negotiating skills are finished.

Now it's considered too late for me to call them up(tomorrow morning) and start giving them s*it after I gave them the go-ahead for repair. In case I didn't mention it, the egg is now in their shop, for an overnight stay, waiting for the "inner sleeve" thingys to arrive from the Toronto warehouse. The price is not TOO Bad. It's about $180 plus labour, which they claim could be anywhere from 15 minutes, to 2 hours MAX and I quote. Assuming of course that they don't bust the air shock during the procedure.

I'm suffering from anxiety now, no joke.

post #6 of 267 Old 01-18-2010
Touareg Addict

In the manual it states (in a warning box no less):
The jack-up mode must always be switched on when the vehicle is lifted by a floor jack or a workshop lift."

I think what happens is without the suspension locked the bags deflate and the suspension will sag well beyond normal travel when filled. And those air couplings ripped from their housings. I hope new ones screw in properly.

Fight this - and replace the driver side while your at it. I hope everything works out.

mpm T2 TDI
'10 T2 TDI Galapagos - premium tech, lux, 4C air, hitch, RSE, Conner running boards
post #7 of 267 Old 01-18-2010

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Is your Touareg still under Warranty?

06 V10 Offroad Gray w/ Anthracite. NAV, 19's, 07 Roof Rails,Rear Spoiler ( Gone but not forgotten)
2010 Nissan GTR
2011 X5 50i M Sport
post #8 of 267 Old 01-18-2010 Thread Starter
Touareg Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpm T2 TDI View Post
In the manual it states (in a warning box no less):
The jack-up mode must always be switched on when the vehicle is lifted by a floor jack or a workshop lift."

I think what happens is without the suspension locked the bags deflate and the suspension will sag well beyond normal travel when filled. And those air couplings ripped from their housings. I hope new ones screw in properly.

Fight this - and replace the driver side while your at it. I hope everything works out.
If this is true, on how vulnerable the air suspension really is if one is not careful when jacking it up, how the hell is one supposed to be able to drop off his Touareg at any dealership, simply drop off the keys, and blindly go about a days work in a naive fashion, thinking that everything will be alright? It's like, you literally have to be standing there, by the bay window watching, to see if they are doing the procedure right. Is this what it has boiled down too?

Should I really go ahead and replace the drivers side also? It's not leaking... therefore should I? I'm already having second thoughts, to call them up first thing tomorrow, and tell them to just fix what is now broken, and leave everything else alone. I don't know anymore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by V10inCA View Post
Is your Touareg still under Warranty?
Excellent question. Yes..I mean no. What I mean is, I do have a 3rd party warranty, that cost me $85 to have transferred to my name from the original owner, when I bought it from a private sale a few months ago. Of course I called them up today, from the VW dealerships service department no less. Everything but the kitchen sink is written on that 3rd party warranty contract. Well guess what? You guessed it.

post #9 of 267 Old 01-18-2010
Touareg Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkswagendude View Post
If this is true, on how vulnerable the air suspension really is if one is not careful when jacking it up, how the hell is one supposed to be able to drop off his Touareg at any dealership, simply drop off the keys, and blindly go about a days work in a naive fashion, thinking that everything will be alright? It's like, you literally have to be standing there, by the bay window watching, to see if they are doing the procedure right. Is this what it has boiled down too?

Should I really go ahead and replace the drivers side also? It's not leaking... therefore should I? I'm already having second thoughts, to call them up first thing tomorrow, and tell them to just fix what is now broken, and leave everything else alone. I don't know anymore...

Excellent question. Yes..I mean no. What I mean is, I do have a 3rd party warranty, that cost me $85 to have transferred to my name from the original owner, when I bought it from a private sale a few months ago. Of course I called them up today, from the VW dealerships service department no less. Everything but the kitchen sink is written on that 3rd party warranty contract. Well guess what? You guessed it.
We trust that dealers who are supposed to be certified for VW vehicles know exactly what to do with our cars.

The corrosion on the drivers side looks like it needs to be cleaned up. It won't get any better and at some point would probably start to leak which could cause the compressor to constantly run which could of course cause other unwanted outcomes.

I'm really sorry that this has occurred to you. But remember the problem was not caused by you it was the bone heads at the dealership. They need to own up to their mistake.

mpm T2 TDI
post #10 of 267 Old 01-18-2010
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
So sorry to hear of your problem but thanks for posting those pictures. Once I read your post the first thing I checked on my Touareg was the struts. Here's a shot of my 2004 (sorry iPhone shot). It spent the first 4 years/58K miles of its life in New York and the last year or so in California. I wonder why your Toaureg has such extensive corrosion in that area.

I hope everything works out for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0339.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	477.7 KB
ID:	7957  

2004 Touareg V10 Oil Burner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode