Air Shock Might Need Replacing! (Combined Thread, Air Suspension Corrosion Problem) - Page 7 - Club Touareg Forums

post #61 of 267 Old 01-23-2010
Touareg Enthusiast

Make : PORSCHE Model : CAYENNE TURBO Year : 2004 Manufacturer : PORSCHE CARS NORTH AMERICA, INC. Crash : No Fire : No Number of Injuries: 0 ODI ID Number : 10292462 Number of Deaths: 0 Date of Failure: November 1, 2009 VIN : WP1AC29P24L... Component: SUSPENSION:FRONT:SPRINGS:AIR SUSPENSION:SPRINGS/BAGS Summary:
TL*THE CONTACT OWNS A 2004 PORSCHE CAYENNE TURBO. THE AIR SUSPENSION COLLAPSED WHILE DRIVING 70 MPH. THE AIR SUSPENSION BAG ALSO EXPLODED WHICH CAUSED THE VEHICLE TO MOVE UNCONTROLLABLY FROM THE RIGHT TO THE LEFT LANE. THE VEHICLE ALMOST ROLLED OVER DUE TO THE FAILURE. THE CONTACT WAS ABLE TO DRIVE TO THE DEALER WHO STATED THAT IT WAS A MANUFACTURERS DEFECT. THE DEALER ALSO CONFIRMED THAT THE COLLAR WHICH IS METAL SPLIT AND PUNCTURED THE SUSPENSION BAG. THE VEHICLE WILL BE REPAIRED; HOWEVER, THE SUSPENSION WAS NOT COVERED BY THE WARRANTY. THE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 41,000.whoa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 267 Old 01-23-2010
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Garage
Just checked my canisters...all shiny and clean and looks like "dude's and Nick's "brass" connector.

I will share "dude's repair parts list with my service dep't...not sure why they felt the canister/connector was only replaceable rather than repairable...since 'dude's snapped right off and mine bubbled the soapy water test..did we have a failure of different parts ("dude's connector and my "connectee"?)

I started a thread when all this was going down asking for someone to post schematics of the air canisters.

White over Anthracite 2016 TDI Executive
post #63 of 267 Old 01-23-2010
Touareg Mechanic

Garage
I think your originals were the same piece..they look brass to me.

post #64 of 267 Old 01-23-2010 Thread Starter
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Although slightly too late(actually maybe not?)this guy was just offered his help here, confirming with the actual TSB#. This is from the air suspension forum. VWvortex Forums: Air Shock(Air Suspension) Might Need Replacing on VW Touareg V8! Need Your Advice!!

2005 Touareg V8: Sold but not forgotten.
post #65 of 267 Old 01-23-2010
Touareg Enthusiast

Possibly we should create a sub forum for the air suspension failure/pending failure. We need to be pro-active with this problem as its going to hit anyone in a place they use road salt. Power in numbers. We shouldnt be sitting in a shop lounge finding TSB's for our cars because they dont see enough to become experts or simply dont care. I for the record know my mechanic is good. But you cant be an expert on all things.
post #66 of 267 Old 01-23-2010
Touareg Enthusiast

And not just for me. As once this issue is resolved the Touareg is gone. I simply wont trust it again.
post #67 of 267 Old 01-23-2010
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuffalo View Post
Just checked my canisters...all shiny and clean and looks like "dude's and Nick's "brass" connector.

I will share "dude's repair parts list with my service dep't...not sure why they felt the canister/connector was only replaceable rather than repairable...since 'dude's snapped right off and mine bubbled the soapy water test..did we have a failure of different parts ("dude's connector and my "connectee"?)

I started a thread when all this was going down asking for someone to post schematics of the air canisters.

Jim what dealership are you going to? I already have the parts. I just need someone that will install it and by God if something breaks they are accountable.
post #68 of 267 Old 01-23-2010 Thread Starter
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Although slightly too late(actually maybe not?)this guy was just offered his help here, confirming with the actual TSB#. This is from the air suspension forum. http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4726896

You know, with the wording of rochestergeek 's actual title on this thread, this is serious. What if one was traveling at a speed of 240km/h on the autobahn, and then it decided to pop? Then what? You would think that there would be some sort of "back up," to give you just enough time to pull over. Rochestergeek, maybe you can answer this. When yours "blew," did your egg truly drop or fall on its front chin dramatically?

2005 Touareg V8: Sold but not forgotten.
post #69 of 267 Old 01-23-2010
Still Plays With Cars

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2006 V10 TDI
Garage
This is important enough to be a sticky. I'll be inspecting mine tomorrow.

// 06 V10 TDI, Reflex Silver/Teak--Loaded

// 06 V8, Campy White/Teak--Air--DVD NAV--Backup Cam--Kessy--Winter--Xenon--RDL--Factory Hitch--Dakar Offroad Front Skid Plate
// 08 27' Airstream International CCD :: Airforums.com Member - "Westfalia"
// 77 VW Transporter Westfalia P21 Weekender, 2.0L Fuel Injection, Pastel Wei/Orange Plaid--STOCK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-\ CLUB TOUAREG ADMINISTRATOR -\
Please read our Club Touareg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and our

post #70 of 267 Old 01-23-2010
Touareg Mechanic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochestergeek View Post
Jim what dealership are you going to? I already have the parts. I just need someone that will install it and by God if something breaks they are accountable.
Schmitt's Garage. Take Thruway Exit 49, then take 78 south (1mi.) then left onto 33 East (1mi). Family run VW/Audi shop. They've treated me well, so I don't mind giving props.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode