Air Shock Might Need Replacing! (Combined Thread, Air Suspension Corrosion Problem) - Page 5 - Club Touareg Forums

post #41 of 267 Old 01-22-2010
Administrator

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
VW dealerships are completely out of control...its ridiculous.

A/S is starting to fail all over the place...seems like an epidemic as of late. Here we go.....

-------------------------------------------------
2013 Touareg TDI Black Pearl / Titan Black
--PREVIOUS TOUAREGS:
'09 TDI, '07 V8 FSI, '04 V10 TDI, '04 VR6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 267 Old 01-22-2010 Thread Starter
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by nltomba View Post
I have looked this afternoon but only looked for corrosion. Mine is an earlier 04 with experience (121k miles). it spent 29k miles in dallas before it came to SW Missouri where it saw some salt but I have not a spec of corrosion visible
What colour is the metal?

2005 Touareg V8: Sold but not forgotten.
post #43 of 267 Old 01-22-2010 Thread Starter
Touareg Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nltomba View Post
I have looked this afternoon but only looked for corrosion. Mine is an earlier 04 with experience (121k miles). it spent 29k miles in dallas before it came to SW Missouri where it saw some salt but I have not a spec of corrosion visible
What colour is the metal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuffalo View Post
Mine appear to be brass cylinders as well....they were just replaced. Will take a closer look and see if they match your pics. Not sure if mine have that same big nut on the end or not
They probably do. In fact, comparing my rusty before and new after pictures side by side, the only difference that I can see is the metal being a different colour.

post #44 of 267 Old 01-22-2010
Touareg Enthusiast

Nick not only fail but I almost rolled my truck at 55. I spent
the next hour shaking and smoked a whole
pack of cigs. I have never thought it was all over
like last night. Once again I am going to pony up
for a job that like the coil pack is soon a recall.
Voa denied anyone else having issues and wow
it appears to be. My service mgr is worthless and the gm
will be seeing me soon.
post #45 of 267 Old 01-22-2010 Thread Starter
Touareg Guru

The pack of cigs scenario made me smile a bit, but I know that this is no laughing matter.

This is TRULY weird. 6 months ago, when I started to seriously research the Touareg as my next vehicle, and I MEAN eyeball popping, countless hours on the internet research, I remember deliberately trying to find any kind of information on air suspension quirks, reliability, durability, tire wear, you name it. Knowing myself, in fact, I probably even posted up a question on it somewhere on this forum in the past. After everything was all said and done, I could barely muster up any data on it at all, most of it being, "there have been issues on it as of yet."

Yup, well here we go....

post #46 of 267 Old 01-23-2010
Touareg Enthusiast

Jim can you pm me your mechanics info. I am done with my dealer. I am in Rochester so not that far. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuffalo View Post
Mine appear to be brass cylinders as well....they were just replaced. Will take a closer look and see if they match your pics. Not sure if mine have that same big nut on the end or not
post #47 of 267 Old 01-23-2010
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkswagendude View Post
The pack of cigs scenario made me smile a bit, but I know that this is no laughing matter.

This is TRULY weird. 6 months ago, when I started to seriously research the Touareg as my next vehicle, and I MEAN eyeball popping, countless hours on the internet research, I remember deliberately trying to find any kind of information on air suspension quirks, reliability, durability, tire wear, you name it. Knowing myself, in fact, I probably even posted up a question on it somewhere on this forum in the past. After everything was all said and done, I could barely muster up any data on it at all, most of it being, "there have been issues on it as of yet."

Yup, well here we go....
You are the jinx, man. We were fine until you showed up.

It was that tire shop that didn't use the JACK mode on you that caused all these dominoes to fall.

There were other posts about sensor issues...and when my MFI barked, that's what I presumed it to be. When my dealer said I had a subtle air leak - and that the entire canister needed to be replaced (vs. your repair) - I began looking for more info and still could not find much.

Definitely a weird outbreak affecting at least three of us.

White over Anthracite 2016 TDI Executive
post #48 of 267 Old 01-23-2010

rochestergeek; Litigation is not a bad option in your case. But if you decide to pursue that route cease all communication with the dealer and be careful what you post here or on Vortex.

I pursued lit against a dealer from another manufacturer because some incompetent repairs that caused other major damage. But I ran my mouth too much and was ruled against in small claims. I also saw this situation happen on a boating forum I participate in.

Just be careful - everything you write here will probably come up.
post #49 of 267 Old 01-23-2010
Touareg Enthusiast

Actually I bet money that everyone with the air suspension wil soon be joining us. I am picking up mine from the dealership today
and taking it to another dealership. I have sent my letters
to the dealership owner, manager I am filing a complaint with local better business bureau, the nada has a complaint process. If nothing happens, so be it. But the status quo of us taking it in the rear and accepting what no one else would because we just want our cars back Is foolish. Even of this forum is a catalyst for helping people like me actually find that this is the first touareg in our solar system and I am I crazy for thinking that it's a design flaw or all out funny that this expensive truck has major system component failure is now acceptable only until someone is killed will anything be addressed. Even ford decided to not recall the pinto and roll the dice on lawsuits. I am glad for this "po dunk do it yourself" website as my service advisor calls it.
post #50 of 267 Old 01-23-2010
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkswagendude View Post
Sorry I didn't do a final update on this last night, as they did call me to pick it up. I'm on the road now, so when I get back home, I'll break down the price and even post up some part numbers. The TOTAL price including labour and taxes was $2610CDN. This included the actual repair on the broken passenger side, ALSO repairing the other side(drivers), which was still not broken(preventive maintenance you can call it), AND installing new headlight buckets on both sides of the Egg, with the new hex screws. I made sure to tell the mechanic to lube them up WELL so that they never seize again, and he was suprisingly already doing that when I went to see him. They lubed up all my door latches(for free they claim) so that they never stick again, and got a free wash out of the deal.

The only "break" they gave me was 10% off on all the parts, and a deduction of 4 hours labour. Total labour was 13 hours not counting the minus four hours. I'll post back later with the actual price for the AiR Suspension repair job.

Glad to hear everything is fixed and your back on the road. I'm curious to know if you ever showed them the owners manual and the warning box around the requirement to lock the suspension before raising the vehicle?

mpm T2 TDI
'10 T2 TDI Galapagos - premium tech, lux, 4C air, hitch, RSE, Conner running boards
'97 993 twin turbo polar silver - bone stock
'80 GT3R 'yellow bird' - 2200 pounds and 362 hp of P-car fun

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode