Air Shock Might Need Replacing! (Combined Thread, Air Suspension Corrosion Problem) - Page 4 - Club Touareg Forums

post #31 of 267 Old 01-21-2010 Thread Starter
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Sorry I didn't do a final update on this last night, as they did call me to pick it up. I'm on the road now, so when I get back home, I'll break down the price and even post up some part numbers. The TOTAL price including labour and taxes was $2610CDN. This included the actual repair on the broken passenger side, ALSO repairing the other side(drivers), which was still not broken(preventive maintenance you can call it), AND installing new headlight buckets on both sides of the Egg, with the new hex screws. I made sure to tell the mechanic to lube them up WELL so that they never seize again, and he was suprisingly already doing that when I went to see him. They lubed up all my door latches(for free they claim) so that they never stick again, and got a free wash out of the deal.

The only "break" they gave me was 10% off on all the parts, and a deduction of 4 hours labour. Total labour was 13 hours not counting the minus four hours. I'll post back later with the actual price for the AiR Suspension repair job.

2005 Touareg V8: Sold but not forgotten.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 267 Old 01-21-2010
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Garage
I am very interested to learn how they fixed the canisters. That is good news as new ones cost 1600.00.

White over Anthracite 2016 TDI Executive
post #33 of 267 Old 01-21-2010 Thread Starter
Touareg Guru

Thumbs up After The Repair Pictures, With New Redesigned VW Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuffalo View Post
I am very interested to learn how they fixed the canisters. That is good news as new ones cost 1600.00.
Good news indeed, but it still is labour intensive, although I can't help but wonder if they are inept and out of practice, since this procedure is not too common....yet. Many of you reading this down the line have to remember, that Montreal, and I ain't talking Ottawa, Toronto, Buffalo, New York and all the rest... Montreal's salted, super sized pot holed laden roads, are a true test of how well I car can last. It really is pathetic here. So we Montrealers are the front line to all this, so take note! What happened to me here is a free glimpse into the future for the rest.
You Californians probably shouldn't even bother reading this thread..

Here are pictures with the new redesigned parts. Compare them with my initial pictures. It would also be cool if some of you could report back here, with which design connector is on your Touareg, and what year.

The ones coloured green are on the passenger side(where it initially snapped), and the pink ones are the drivers side, that I ended up changing, for the sake of preventive maintenance. And don't forget to click on the picture up to 3 times for better magnification of the iPhone pics.

post #34 of 267 Old 01-21-2010

Glad you were able to get it fixed. I sure checked out mine after you first posted. So far, so good. Cheers!

04 V10 TDI
post #35 of 267 Old 01-22-2010 Thread Starter
Touareg Guru

Can somebody please be a sport, take 10 seconds to go look at their Touareg, and tell me which style connector is being used on theirs? White metal or brass fitting? You should be able to easily see it, without even having to raise your suspension.

Here is a list of the part# used to make the repair. Remember, I did both sides of the vehicle, so some parts are x2. Sorry that the names are in French. Prices are in CDN$.

D-322-000-A2 Spray Cir Net:$27.38 Total:$27.38
7L0-616-813-B Soupape Net:170.93 Total:$341.86
N-910-956-01 Baguejoint Net $5.38 Total: $5.38
N-101-277-07 Vis Net: $1.81 Total: $14.48
N-909-413-01 Ecrou Net: $3.80 Total: $7.60

TOTAL parts: $396.70 MINUS my lousy 10% off: $34.00 = $362.70
TOTAL labour: $1276.80 labour rate: $96/h
TOTAL parts+labour: $1639.50

post #36 of 267 Old 01-22-2010
The Moderator!

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkswagendude View Post
Can somebody please be a sport, take 10 seconds to go look at their Touareg, and tell me which style connector is being used on theirs? White metal or brass fitting? You should be able to easily see it, without even having to raise your suspension.

Here is a list of the part# used to make the repair. Remember, I did both sides of the vehicle, so some parts are x2. Sorry that the names are in French. Prices are in CDN$.

D-322-000-A2 Spray Cir Net:$27.38 Total:$27.38
7L0-616-813-B Soupape Net:170.93 Total:$341.86
N-910-956-01 Baguejoint Net $5.38 Total: $5.38
N-101-277-07 Vis Net: $1.81 Total: $14.48
N-909-413-01 Ecrou Net: $3.80 Total: $7.60

TOTAL parts: $396.70 MINUS my lousy 10% off: $34.00 = $362.70
TOTAL labour: $1276.80 labour rate: $96/h
TOTAL parts+labour: $1639.50
Mine appear to be brass looking connectors, so them more in likely did an in line upgrade as the went along.

2010 Alaska Grey/Anthracite V6 TDI- Lux,Tech, Air and Hitch
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

04 Offroad Grey V6, gone, but will never be forgotten.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #37 of 267 Old 01-22-2010
BANNED

Touareg: 2004 V8
I have looked this afternoon but only looked for corrosion. Mine is an earlier 04 with experience (121k miles). it spent 29k miles in dallas before it came to SW Missouri where it saw some salt but I have not a spec of corrosion visible
post #38 of 267 Old 01-22-2010
Touareg Enthusiast

My front air suspension blew out at 65mph.

(EDIT by spockcat: The way to repair this problem is now posted on page 7 of this thread: http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f4...tml#post193537 Replacement of the entire strut should not be necessary.)

First and foremost up until my conversation with the soon to be departing vw manager has been one of we get along but since the last time my truck was in the shop for 5 weeks, its tense.I had the dealership pull my folder for my truck today its as thick as the phonebook.. From 04 until 08 my touareg visited the dealership not once for a malfunction or issue. From the time the first recall was done on my truck my truck on average is in the shop once a month with an average time of 3 days. Fact is and its simple to see. Until Dorschel began actually physically pulling the truck apart, it was problem free. Since then I have had all the wheel bearings done, two of them had to be redone. One due to the tech installing the bearing backwards and the other for failure not even 8 months later. I have had the transfer case replaced, the drive shaft the battery, both hids, the interior trim, the from and rear differentials the stepper motor and the all elusive blown engine.... The engine blew when I replaced the coil packs with new ones. $4,100 and 5 weeks with no car and no loaner because we couldnt exaclty figure out what was wrong with it, a conversation was had that if they had installed the coil packs had been installed in the shop by them the blown engine would have been the responsibility and liability of the dealership and not me. Remember that last sentence.

Today I met with the soon to be departing mgr whom I feel thinks that I want too much. What do I want? To not pay for them to figure out a problem. For them to realize that when I dont have a car I lose money that when I am writing checks for 7k in the past year to have a car running (almost 45k new) and I get the reliability of a pinto in a pretty shell, I have a right to be pissed. I also would love to not have to sit in the wifi lounge and find the tsb's and the service bulletins pertaining to my "one of a kind" issue and then tell them what parts I need to circumvent my advisor that thinks we all are paid hourly and enjoy walking around the dealership for hours on end, praying that we get our car back and the part is not back ordered from Germany and it will take 9 weeks to get here. I guess I trusted the service manager when he stated that any tech that is certified on vw can work on a touareg. How wrong I was. This is the end of the line for me and the dealership and vw. I have written the owner/ceo of vw and the voa northeast manager. Following is my phone conversation I had with the manager on the phone. Please understand that I own a good sized company and I have to deal with not only customer service but also I am responsible for everything. Payroll, taxes, insurance, liability and what is missing from the manager Common business tact and delivery. Basically if your going to screw me over, make it feel good with words like. I will see what I can do, I will try to get something done for you. What I get after literally spending 7k on a car that is "German" engineering at its best is. No, we cant do anything for you and my new favorite. If there is a liabilty to us for the work we are about to perform, then I wont do it. Basically I learned that my vw service manager wants all the rewards in life without the risk. Like the risk I take bringing my car to the dealership for work.

That being said I finally have an understanding of the business method for Dorschel VW. Its "if we fix it and it breaks something, you are paying for what we broke". If I said that to anyone in the real world business wise, I would not be in business. Here is our conversation.

"Well Todd, he is not sure about this. It might break the other 4 million dollar part and from what I heard you say to him today "hey at least this time your putting the parts in not like the vw part I put in that blew my engine, its on you". My relationship with the mechanic himself has actually been pretty solid up until today. I am sure he is going to read this as I gave him the weekend to research the issue and I trust his abilities if he thinks he can do it, he will. Well apparently this risk scared the tech because I guess removing the flawed designed bolt it might break that other part. A: I have repeated issues with this truck. There is a history that its become a piece of ****. Its not like this is my first problem. Here is what is sad. Apparently we as VW owners are not bright enough to figure a few things out. Like with this forum we cant be bullshitted by them. I will never forget that today I was given a quote of 1400 plus 300 in labor for a part for me to go sit in the wifi lounge login to the site and Jesus there it was. A TSB for a $140 repair for this issue and not almost 2k and there are actual instructions from VW. Holy crap. I find myself thanking God himself for this site. My cost to date on this would easily have gone past 10k last year.

Todd pick it up and have it done someplace else because if the bolt does break (on the obvious flawed design that failed while I was driving almost causing an accident) then we dont want to pay for that other part and the alignment and basically your putting the responsibility on us. Well Holy crap, thats how business works. If that bolt breaks then I would assume a person with half a brain would go to vw for the part. I mean Jesus, they tell you what to do and note that it could break. Well every time I drive this POS I roll the dice that its going to be heading to the shop. I often chase my service advisior down around 4:45 to find out where the hell things stand. Usually he has forgotten me and its forced me to learn that I need to stay at the dealership all day to keep on top of him otherwise I simply get lied to.

I do plan on litigation this time. I cant believe the audacity of one the tech to be worried about breaking a part (apparently its ok on my end to roll the dice an pay a bill and not have it fixed right) but when they could have to pay for it, its not feasible.

I am done with this dealership and actually talked to holtz porsche. I know the gm for the entire company its self and I guess the reason I dont see any out of warranty touaregs at my dealership is because its hard to roll the dice on 1k average repair bills. This suspension is flawed by design in so many ways. How the hell do you have a major component that provides driver control and safety completely fail at highway speeds. Where the hell is your common sense. Jeez did you have the tires ever changed someplace else? Well of course its half the price of you. And yes I understand "jack" mode.

All I can say is that I am tired of this POS truck. Major suspension parts should NOT be failing on such and expensive car. Its not "acceptable" to have corrosion eat through parts that are critical. We take this crap all the time that its simply the way it is and we have come to accept it. I am not.

P.S. I cant comprehend the fact that I have a vw tsb for this fix and my departing (wonder why) gm is afraid that in repairing this part that I will hold them responsible like I was held with my VW parts I put in from that dealership and it cost me 4.100 stress, money loss, and my time. Something I learned from VW is worth more than anything. To be so frustrated with not having a car for 5 weeks that you simply pay the bill is not status que. We do not need to stand for this. Its not how its really done.
post #39 of 267 Old 01-22-2010
Touareg Mechanic

Garage
Mine appear to be brass cylinders as well....they were just replaced. Will take a closer look and see if they match your pics. Not sure if mine have that same big nut on the end or not

post #40 of 267 Old 01-22-2010
Touareg Mechanic

Garage
Not sure I completely follow your thread, but we're having a ball lately discussing air suspension canisters and frustrations over various service departments.

Air Susp: VWdude had his rebuilt and I had fronts replaced by RealDriver Warranty. What did yours do at highway speed?

Apparently you also replaced your own coil packs and that caused your engine to seize?

I do not believe that very VW certified wrench is necessarily a Touareg certified wrench...and your wheel bearing example might reflect that.

Sounds like a dysfunctional service department to me. What does the GM say? I'd start there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode