Air Shock Might Need Replacing! (Combined Thread, Air Suspension Corrosion Problem) - Page 27 - Club Touareg Forums

post #261 of 267 Old 11-08-2014

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Still looking
I literally just took those pictures today from my 08 t2. It didn't feel plastic to me, but I just checked again. You're probably right. The main part of the shock(alum right?) is a different material than where the fitting is/ the top part. So it's probably plastic material you described

Should I not even bother? Any risks in putting something on those fittings?

I'm just overly worried about driving in my first New England winter with this "hasn't even seen salt egg". I want everything to work as it's supposed to for a least a couple more yrs. and prevent any rust issues anywhere on this thing. All my other cars are shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #262 of 267 Old 11-08-2014
The Moderator!

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsZe View Post
I literally just took those pictures today from my 08 t2. It didn't feel plastic to me, but I just checked again. You're probably right. The main part of the shock(alum right?) is a different material than where the fitting is/ the top part. So it's probably plastic material you described

Should I not even bother? Any risks in putting something on those fittings?

I'm just overly worried about driving in my first New England winter with this "hasn't even seen salt egg". I want everything to work as it's supposed to for a least a couple more yrs. and prevent any rust issues anywhere on this thing. All my other cars are shot.
As I said, mine has spent it's entire life in places that USD salt on the roads. I have been both in UT and PA with no issues on mine at all. Something changed on the T2's and for the better. I wouldn't worry about it other then to just make a habit of cleaning them after a storm. I never put anything on mine.

2010 Alaska Grey/Anthracite V6 TDI- Lux,Tech, Air and Hitch
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

04 Offroad Grey V6, gone, but will never be forgotten.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #263 of 267 Old 11-08-2014
Touareg Guru

Just get some thick grease and lard it on the connectors and especially where they meet the strut.

Wipe it clean in the spring and re-apply.

Wipe it clean in the fall and re-apply.

post #264 of 267 Old 02-07-2015

Touareg: 2003 V6
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
I would like to thank you all for this thread. Today me and my mechanic did this operation on Mr. T (My T-Reg) and because of all the info in this thread we solved it.

This forum is one hell of a powerfull tool to us all, thanks again.

post #265 of 267 Old 04-02-2015

Touareg: 2005 V6
Second Vehicle: Still looking
sorry Pal, feels bad to clean up the mess by some of these mechanics. In my opinion I think you go ahead and deal with the drivers side issue right away.

I have replaced my compressor once after a discomforting repeated running gear messages. Replaced the two front shocks completely still the running gear stuff didn't stop.

Now the two front shocks have completely failed again in less than a year of above replacements. I want to convert to spring shocks (all 4 sides) and do away with the troublesome balloons, I need to rest from their issues. But my fear is, will this cause any problem with the stability of the car? has any one done this? I need advise pls.
post #266 of 267 Old 01-25-2016

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Suspension boot blown front left air spring. Looks like it inflated and blew; can't seem to find any leak, no noticable difference in ride performance. Parked car during vacation for 8 days, upon return, left front suspension has lowered by 5mm and left rear by about 8-9mm whereas right front and rear hardly changed more than 1mm.
Any suggestions what may have caused this? Received new boot, will take to mechanic end of week and try to find leak in air cushions more thoroughly but I suspect this leak is from somewhere else (possibly seal between shock and air cushion?). Any suggestions?
post #267 of 267 Old 01-25-2016

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode