Air Shock Might Need Replacing! (Combined Thread, Air Suspension Corrosion Problem) - Page 2 - Club Touareg Forums

post #11 of 267 Old 01-19-2010
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2004 R5 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Excuse my ignorance. I have very little experience with the air suspension, but what's the difference between the wheel going to full droop during off-road driving and you lifting it up on a workshop lift? Does it actually go BEYOND Xtra level when you raise it off the ground if it's not in lock mode and the engine's not running?

I always thought that the lock function is there because your standard jack won't be able to lift the vehicle high enough to change a tyre when in Xtra level...

The fact that the hose fitting broke (corrosion) is a big concern but I think blaming the tech because he didn't lock the suspension is pushing it a bit. If it is indeed his fault, I'd say it's a pathetic design from VW. While they're at it, tell them to lengthen the hoses to prevent it from happening again...

Relocated to Aus. Starting fresh.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 267 Old 01-19-2010
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: Still looking
It's pity you agreed to them going ahead with the repair as there is no going back now but I myself have no expreience with air but maybe they may come to some understanding about the other side to get the pipes longer would be a great idea, and also you must find the cause of such corrosion and if need be smear the joint with some grease to stop it happening again, PS I would still have a chat with the manager and see if you can come to some arangement sorry to hear your in this problem, but on another note to replace that tray is a pain in the ass had to do it myself and its not easy,do remmber when replacing that tray I had to remove the inside of the wheel arch to conect the back two screws and I am just saying it would seem to be very easy to hit that pipe and break it in that tight space, its funny the pipe on the other side did not break as well , yours Stewart maybe you can use this as leverage with the manager

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Black 05 tdi with extra bits!!!!!!!
post #13 of 267 Old 01-19-2010
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Garage
Apparently - so I've been told - the fitting is brass and the canister aluminum. As another forum member pointed out, those materials oxidize, they do not rust. Search under STOP FAULT RUNNING FGEAR and read all about it.

The aircanisters are ~1650 apiece and I too was told that the money end (where your hydraulic line snapped) is indeed not a separate part.

As to liability because it broke on the lift...hmmmm...dealer should cut you some slack even if it were a simple coincidence.

Good luck. My fronts were replaced under the VW Platinum Driver's Gear Real World Warranty or whatever they call it.

White over Anthracite 2016 TDI Executive

post #14 of 267 Old 01-19-2010
Touareg Mechanic

Garage
I like the idea of cleaning in there and maybe coating them in some grease to keep the salts and other crud away...the problem I encountered was attributed to an air leak...diagnosed via the old soapy water spray bottle technique...after they were replaced, the fault warning reappeared, so they then replaced the compressor and a distribution valve...lending additional credence to the earlier post in this thread that a subtle air leak could likely cause your compressor to overwork itself and fail.

post #15 of 267 Old 01-19-2010
Touareg Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuffalo View Post
As another forum member pointed out, those materials oxidize, they do not rust.
Rust is oxidation of iron in the presence of water. It's exactly the same as what's happening to the aluminium. It's just not called rust because it's not iron/steel. The green stuff that forms on copper is also the same thing.

post #16 of 267 Old 01-19-2010
Touareg Mechanic

Garage
Thanks, AndrieK for the metallurgical clarification!

The VW Platinum warranty excludes repairs where the culprit is determined to be "rust". Since the components are (allegedly) brass and aluminum - not iron - the point was made to me that brass and aluminum don't "rust"...hence denying claim for the presence of "rust" isn't possible? Have to do a wikipedia search now....

I never had to explore the rust vs. oxidation argument: My dealer handled it on my behalf, saving me a ton of money.,,,new canisters up front, plus a new compressor and distribution valve was close to 6K USD.

That said, vwdude's got some issue. I'd question the design of a suspension component so prone to "oxidation" that it could snap right off, much less easily leak. Those connectors should be designed to be field replaceable.

Hopefully we are not witnessing the start of some sort of airsuspension canister failure pandemic. I am lucky my dealer values my business.

Carry on.

PS....the green stuff on copper is called verdigris
PPS...if we keep this up, VW Real Driver will catch on and change their exception clause to "oxidation"!!

post #17 of 267 Old 01-19-2010

the way I understand this problem, from my sailboat experience, is that the problem is two dissimilar metals create an electrical charge. The problem is called electrolysis. The presence of salt, ie road salt would probably make it worse. I've had to deal with this on the boat and it can get expensive. As far as I know, the only way to permanently solve the problem is to have a non-conductive barrier between the two metals. Seems like it was not too well thought out in the planning process. Cheers!

04 V10 TDI
post #18 of 267 Old 01-19-2010
Touareg Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuffalo View Post
PPS...if we keep this up, VW Real Driver will catch on and change their exception clause to "oxidation"!!
Ha ha, good one Jim...

All Touaregs in SA are sold with a 12 year anti-CORROSION warranty. I would assume this goes for the US vehicles as well.

Rust, oxidation, verdigris, call it what you like. It's all corrosion and should really be covered by the FACTORY warranty. I'd seriously consider exploring this route.

BTW, diesel4me, I agree. The fact that they have an aluminium housing with a brass/copper/whatever fitting is probably what's causing the corrosion. Poor design IMO.

post #19 of 267 Old 01-19-2010
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrieK View Post
All Touaregs in SA are sold with a 12 year anti-CORROSION warranty. I would assume this goes for the US vehicles as well.
Probably for the body panels, which are probably hot-dipped and then painted, etc. Not sure it would apply to mechanical pieces -- would have to read the fine print, as they say.

Cheers, John

2004 V10 TDI - Black / Poop Brown, 106k and counting
post #20 of 267 Old 01-19-2010

P.S. I would think that a diagnosis of electrolysis would possibly negate the rust issue. One can hope. Good luck.

04 V10 TDI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode