2016 Spare Tire Took Kit - Missing Items? - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 6 Old 01-22-2017 Thread Starter

2016 Spare Tire Took Kit - Missing Items?

I recently purchased a 2016 Lux (CPO). The car is super clean and looks brand new. However, in looking at the spare tire, I noticed that the velcro strap that holds the air compressor and tools in place was not connected, the battery leads were not stowed properly (ends were loose), and there are a few storage spots that are empty. The spare tire looks like it has never been used, however. Wondering if someone poached a few pieces from the car?

I have searched TReg forums, youtube, and the owners manual, and can't find a photo of what should be in these spots. The owners manual does have a list of parts, but does not show where they go.

I have posted a photo with highlights of what appears to be missing. Can someone compare this to their car of similar year and let me know what, if anything, is missing? A photo of what their spare tire kit looks like would be awesome. Also, any idea of how to stow the 12v leads?

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks, John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SpareTireToolKit_highlights.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	716.1 KB
ID:	168762  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-22-2017
Touareg Guru

What is on the list you have?

These are things I cannot see that used to be in the older toolkits:

jack

"coded" socket to undo the locking wheel lugs [they may not be fitted any more - use the curly wire thingummy to pull the plastic covers off the lugs on one wheel to see if you have 5 standard lugs, or 4 and a locking lug]

2 folding steel wheel chocks [but they may no longer be supplied]

screw driver or something to put through the hole of the wheel centreing pin [the one on the left below the wire thingummy] for when you change a wheel

wheel brace

The compressor design has changed but, for what it's worth, I could never refit the croc clips in the old box either!

Excellent Wikipedia info on all models:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Buying or just bought a T1 or a T2? ESSENTIAL READING:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Useful tip! Search this forum using Google or Bing by typing in site:
color="black"> word word word
post #3 of 6 Old 01-22-2017 Thread Starter

A few more photos
1) The jack and related components (stored underneath the compressor).
2) Lug Bolts - Looks like I would need an adapter to remove these.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JackParts.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	663.0 KB
ID:	168770   Click image for larger version

Name:	LugBolts.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	638.5 KB
ID:	168778  

post #4 of 6 Old 01-22-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2015 V6 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by John151 View Post
I recently purchased a 2016 Lux (CPO). The car is super clean and looks brand new. However, in looking at the spare tire, I noticed that the velcro strap that holds the air compressor and tools in place was not connected, the battery leads were not stowed properly (ends were loose), and there are a few storage spots that are empty. The spare tire looks like it has never been used, however. Wondering if someone poached a few pieces from the car?

I have searched TReg forums, youtube, and the owners manual, and can't find a photo of what should be in these spots. The owners manual does have a list of parts, but does not show where they go.

I have posted a photo with highlights of what appears to be missing. Can someone compare this to their car of similar year and let me know what, if anything, is missing? A photo of what their spare tire kit looks like would be awesome. Also, any idea of how to stow the 12v leads?

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks, John
Counterclockwise from 11. Nothing goes there as you do not have a locking lug nut on any wheel.

At 7, I'm not sure what goes there, I'll have to go to my truck and see.

Next, on the inflator, nothing goes there.

Same with the next space, the VW's ship with only one of those threaded recovery eyes. Mine was empty in that space as well.

You do not need an adapter to pull those lug bolt covers off. You have the puller that looks like the wire "6" or "P", you hold onto the round end and use the hook to pull the lug bolt covers off.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-22-2017
Touareg Guru

You haven't read my post properly, nor the handbook!

What you have photographed are the PLASTIC lug covers.

You have the tool to pull them off - it is the curly wire thingummy. You just hook it through the hole in the middle and then PULL. To refit, you just push them back on the lugs but do check that the plastic cover the covers the locking lug [if you have one] is not different to the others as I cannot now remember if it is or not.

Go and pull the 5 covers on one wheel and see whether or not you have 5 standard lugs or 4 + 1 locking lug! Although it seems from the above post the locking lugs are no longer fitted, I would still check if I were you.

I can see the two wheel chocks I mentioned.

For what it's worth, get yourself an extending wheel brace so you can be sure you can undo the lugs. That standard brace isn't much use if the wheels are properly torqued to 133 ft lbs.

I also used to carry a thick piece of wood to put under the foot of the jack in case of soft ground/gravel/whatever.

Excellent Wikipedia info on all models:

Buying or just bought a T1 or a T2? ESSENTIAL READING:

Useful tip! Search this forum using Google or Bing by typing in site:
color="black"> word word word
post #6 of 6 Old 01-23-2017 Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, I have the information that I was looking for.

Cheers!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode