2010 VW Touareg VR6: Looking for reasonably-priced winter wheels/tire combo - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 16 Old 01-06-2017 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2010 V6
Second Vehicle: Other
2010 VW Touareg VR6: Looking for reasonably-priced winter wheels/tire combo

So I have a 2010 VW Touareg VR6 w/ the 19" luxury package wheels. My current tires are all-season.

I am interested in some 17" or 18" wheels that I can put winter tires on so I can swap the wheels out for the seasons. I would really appreciate some recommendations for tire/wheel combinations that are reasonably priced. I hesitate to use the word "cheap" but I am on a budget and would really like the least expensive option that is worth-while.
Also, one caveat is that I would ideally like the wheels to be dark gray or black color just for a fresh look for part of the year. I guess I can always have someone black out the wheels...

Likewise with snow tires (black part is easy here ) -- I am looking for the least expensive tire that is worthwhile

I live in Massachusetts, north of Boston, so we get some real snow and harsh driving conditions but nothing like what I experienced when I lived in Colorado.

Thanks all.

Mine: '10 VW Touareg VR6 T2 Luxury Package
Former: '06 Saab 9-5 Aero
Former: '01 Audi A6 2.7T
Wife: '17 VW Tiguan Wolfsberg Package
Wife Former: '14 VW Jetta Sportswagen TDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-06-2017 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2010 V6
Oh, and I tried searching for this in the forums but did not find anything. If there is a good thread already started with this information, please feel free to notify me.

Mine: '10 VW Touareg VR6 T2 Luxury Package
Former: '06 Saab 9-5 Aero
Former: '01 Audi A6 2.7T
Wife: '17 VW Tiguan Wolfsberg Package
Wife Former: '14 VW Jetta Sportswagen TDI
post #3 of 16 Old 01-06-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Also remember, the Q7 and cayenne wheels are interchangeable. Might try a simple Craigslist search for wheels. I found a set of 18" cayenne wheels for $300 in Charleston SC, and that's a steal.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

post #4 of 16 Old 01-07-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2009 V6 TDI
Craigslist or local for sale sites like offer up, facebook are the best chance to get low cost wheels just check them really well for damage. For tires I am running Hercules avalanche g r2 on one and Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV on the other. I am highly satisfied with both of them, as the avalanche are the previous version of the hakkapeliitta and priced slightly less. For the cost the avalanche rg2 are great, there is some road noise on dry pavement, due to tread design, but not much to be annoyed by it, ice traction is just short of the Hakkapeliitta. The snow and slush is not a problem and driving either one is still a pleasure and fun, they don't feel squishy like the blizzaks do. The Hercules are made in Russia also.
post #5 of 16 Old 01-07-2017
The Moderator!

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Get yourself a set of Makalu 17" since tires will be cheaper and you can do a taller side wall on them as well. You can check Ebay for those if need be. Mine came with 19" from the factory and I had the dealer swap them out for a set of 17" before they shipped my Treg to me. He thought I was nuts, but I did not want the 19" since tires are more expensive and it is such an odd size. I have AT tires on mine. It gets through the snow pretty good, but next set I may go back to Nokian all seasons. I had a set on my 04 and it was awesome.

2010 Alaska Grey/Anthracite V6 TDI- Lux,Tech, Air and Hitch
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

04 Offroad Grey V6, gone, but will never be forgotten.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 Old 01-07-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubya View Post
I am interested in some 17" or 18" wheels that I can put winter tires on so I can swap the wheels out for the seasons. I would really appreciate some recommendations for tire/wheel combinations that are reasonably priced. I hesitate to use the word "cheap" but I am on a budget and would really like the least expensive option that is worth-while.
I got a set of Manhattan 18" wheels with Nokian WR3 SUV tires. These tires are the best I found for Boston winters, I'm on my third set of these. The tires are toward the end of their useful life but you will get this winter out of them. I'm in Mass as well and if you're interested, drop me a PM. I'll price the set quite reasonably . . .

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/images/.../manhattan.jpg

Brgds,

lexart
post #7 of 16 Old 01-07-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V8
The OEM 17" wheels (silver, not black, sorry) will probably be the least expensive. Then wrap them in whatever cheap snow tire your store has in stock. Any cheap dedicated snow tire will most likely be better than a mid-priced "all season" tire.

You probably get more snow in MA than we do here in CO (at least where most people drive in CO!), so a good snow tire is a must. Spend a few extra pennies and get a good set. I have had Bridgestone dedicated snows before on a different vehicle and they worked well. I am running Duratrac tires now and they are very good in the snow, even though they have big lugs. They're actually rated as a snow tire.

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:
post #8 of 16 Old 01-10-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2014 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Another MA resident here. I went with an entire wheel/tire package from Tire Rack with Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snows. You can see them and follow links to some 411 over here.

Actually just had them put on for their 3rd season this morning.

The initial investment seems daunting, but I expect to get at least 5 seasons out of these based on current wear and tear. Plus the swap of course extends the life of your summer tires. In my case with the Exec, I really needed different rims than the wide 20s for snows. You can probably get away with the 19s wheels, but bear in mind you will pay more at the shop for the tire swap and rebalancing each time, compared to a simple on-and-off when they are already mounted. If you keep cars a long time as I do, that will add up.
post #9 of 16 Old 01-10-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: 2007 V6
Garage
17" Colorado wheels (I believe they are called). Have them plasti-dipped. I run Mastercraft Courser MSR tires, studded and they work great. Snow is like dry pavement in the Treg.

Might try CL as others have stated or dealer (seriously) the dealer "upgrades" wheels on new or used cars and piles the old smaller wheels in the back of there warehouse. I have gotten two sets of wheels this way for $40 a wheel...no tires. I have bargained with them on these because the wheels are used and may have blemishes...likely why they were "upgraded."

Dealer won't have the Canyons anymore, but a similar size-different style wheel...which would work too.

Another option might be people parting out Tregs...I have seen a few advertisements for wheels there as well.
post #10 of 16 Old 01-10-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
i find that many cayenne owners seem to dump their 17s and 18s for cheap, for example: PORSCHE CAYENNE WHEELS 18" TAKE OFF'S (4)

same concept on the wheels, but tires look beat, so might as well BYO tires on the first option above: Porsche RIMS & snow tires

Stick OEM, can't go wrong, and cayenne owners usually dump TPMS sensors with the wheels. although aftermarket sensors have proven to be reliable enough (source from tirerack)

For some style: 2015 cayenne turbo snow tire and wheel set up

For reference, I'm in the 18" cayenne wheel + Nokian camp: Winter Tires 18" wheel test fit and tire sizes - Page 7 - Club Touareg Forums

2014 TDI Lux

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode