2010 VW Touareg VR6: Looking for reasonably-priced winter wheels/tire combo - Page 2 - Club Touareg Forums

post #11 of 16 Old 01-13-2017 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2010 V6
Second Vehicle: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by agravadr View Post
i find that many cayenne owners seem to dump their 17s and 18s for cheap, for example: PORSCHE CAYENNE WHEELS 18" TAKE OFF'S (4)

same concept on the wheels, but tires look beat, so might as well BYO tires on the first option above: Porsche RIMS & snow tires

Stick OEM, can't go wrong, and cayenne owners usually dump TPMS sensors with the wheels. although aftermarket sensors have proven to be reliable enough (source from tirerack)

For some style: 2015 cayenne turbo snow tire and wheel set up

For reference, I'm in the 18" cayenne wheel + Nokian camp: Winter Tires 18" wheel test fit and tire sizes - Page 7 - Club Touareg Forums
You have listed some nice options. Thanks for the heads up on Porsche wheels.

Mine: '10 VW Touareg VR6 T2 Luxury Package
Former: '06 Saab 9-5 Aero
Former: '01 Audi A6 2.7T
Wife: '17 VW Tiguan Wolfsberg Package
Wife Former: '14 VW Jetta Sportswagen TDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 01-13-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexart View Post
I got a set of Manhattan 18" wheels with Nokian WR3 SUV tires. These tires are the best I found for Boston winters, I'm on my third set of these. The tires are toward the end of their useful life but you will get this winter out of them. I'm in Mass as well and if you're interested, drop me a PM. I'll price the set quite reasonably . . .

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/images/.../manhattan.jpg
Sent you a PM.

post #13 of 16 Old 01-13-2017 Thread Starter

What about the option of just buying some tires and having someone put them on/take them off every winter. I have 19" Terra wheels.

Would Pirelli Scorpion "275/45r19" Snow Tires fit these wheels or be a good choice? I can find them "like new" for $250 locally...

post #14 of 16 Old 01-14-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: 2007 V6
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiegelglatt View Post
17" Colorado wheels (I believe they are called). Have them plasti-dipped. I run Mastercraft Courser MSR tires, studded and they work great. Snow is like dry pavement in the Treg.

Might try CL as others have stated or dealer (seriously) the dealer "upgrades" wheels on new or used cars and piles the old smaller wheels in the back of there warehouse. I have gotten two sets of wheels this way for $40 a wheel...no tires. I have bargained with them on these because the wheels are used and may have blemishes...likely why they were "upgraded."

Dealer won't have the Canyons anymore, but a similar size-different style wheel...which would work too.

Another option might be people parting out Tregs...I have seen a few advertisements for wheels there as well.
Pictures of my 17" with Mastercraft versus 19" Terras with Nexus Roadians (not the T2 sits 3/4" higher and less snow on the day the pic was taken). For those who might not notice note the front wheels and the snow stuck to the snow tire versus the all season. The stuck snow helps glue the Treg on the road...the all seasons are all over (I think we all know this already, but it is cool to see).

The choppy ice is terrible in the Terras and very decent in the Colorados. The higher side wall really helps..

We have 12-16" of snow here now so took both Tregs out over last few days, the Snow tires are worth there weight in gold, but are better with higher side wall (my humble opinion).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170112_175347_edit_edit.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	480.3 KB
ID:	167954   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170113_170142_edit_edit.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	463.7 KB
ID:	167962  

post #15 of 16 Old 01-14-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2014 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubya View Post
What about the option of just buying some tires and having someone put them on/take them off every winter. I have 19" Terra wheels.
See my reply above. Yep, can be done but you'll pay more and it takes longer at the shop than a simple swap. Each tire needs to be removed, replaced with the snow, then rebalanced. Lather rinse repeat come spring. That adds up over time if you keep your cars a while, as I do.
post #16 of 16 Old 01-14-2017
Touareg Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubya View Post
What about the option of just buying some tires and having someone put them on/take them off every winter. I have 19" Terra wheels....
As above it is far better to find a set of 17 or 18 inch wheels and fit dedicated winter tires.

Removing and replacing tires repeatedly isn't good for either the tires or, if the fitter isn't the best, the wheels too. Scraping off the old weights twice a year, standing around whilst it gets done . . .

Much better to be master of your own wheels and change them as and when you want to.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode