Club Touareg Forum banner

103 load index 22's on 2011? Not enough?

4K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  nickm 
#1 ·
Bought a new (to me) 2011 egg after our 2004 was given to a friend in need.

Looking at getting winter wheels / tires and considering just buying 20" winter tires and upgrading to something bigger for the summer time. A local posting has a killer deal on 22" Cayenne rims + 295/30R22 tires. Other than the diameter difference, the concerning thing is that the tires have a load rating of 103. Looking at the forums it seems at least 106 is recommended, but thats what I used to have on my T1, which was apparently 800lbs heavier. Should I be concerned? It did come off a Cayenne which has a GVWR of the same as the Touareg (6173 lbs sourced from http://press.porsche.com/vehicles/11_press_kits/pdf/2011_Cayenne_Specifications.pdf and Used 2011 Volkswagen Touareg Features & Specs | Edmunds)

No towing is planned.

Can I safely stick w/ the 103's?

#3 ·
Wide low profiles are not a good recipe even for proper winter tires.

#6 ·
The winter's would be on the 20's. These would be summer tires.

103 load index is for cars, not SUVs. Some people buy car tires as they are cheaper. You're risking a blowout by not running proper tires for the vehicle, so IMO no - I don't believe 103 is safe to stay with.
103 load index is 1874 lbs/tire, for a load capacity of almost 7500 lbs. Hardly "car" territory and still 1400lbs above the max loaded weight of the truck from my research.

You'll need to check regulations in your country/state - some require specific manufacturer approval but others simply that the load rating is higher than half the maximum axle load.
Thanks, this seems like my path as I guess i'd be most concerned about liability.

Has anyone on the forums run these sorts of tires before with their T3?

#4 ·
103 load index is for cars, not SUVs. Some people buy car tires as they are cheaper. You're risking a blowout by not running proper tires for the vehicle, so IMO no - I don't believe 103 is safe to stay with.

#10 ·
#13 ·
Here are several more 103XL which surprises me. Whether you can get all or any of these in Canada, I know not.
This particular size (295/30/22) is commonly run on Camaros. Why its an XL rating I'm not sure, though the gen 5 Camaro is heavy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.