Club Touareg Forum banner

V8-04' Fuel cap Light > Check engine light

7K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  czechT698 
#1 ·
About a week ago I got the fuel cap light on a steep hill in San Francisco. Next fill up it looked like the cap might have been a little loose. Can't remember exactly. A few days after the first warning I got a solid check engine light. I have 110K miles. I've had the coil packs replaced twice and the check engine light flashed when that was the culprit.

I've read the FAQ about it (VWVortex.com - Check engine light - anyone had this problem yet? Crappy service from local dealer)

I've driven the car 4-5 times about 5 miles and the light hasn't gone off on it's own. It is a real hassle to take it to the dealer and I don't have much time. So:

1. Will it clear itself of the issue goes away, or must it be cleared at the dealer?
2. Any other V8 04' had the same issue?
3. Any other feedback would be appreciated before I spent 3 hrs at the dealer.

Thanks

#2 ·
I was told by my dealer that any code will clear itself if the problem doesn't repeat itself in a drive cycle which is 100 miles.

#3 ·
I know I'm a few months late lol, but my 04 V8 ironically seems to be having all it's little quirky issues all at once now and this happens to be one of them.

I as well already purchased a replacement fuel cap, however I just did over 100 miles and my check engine light is still on. To my knowledge there is supposed to be a threshold for after fixing the problem on anything 96 or newer that the check light should go off.

I have an OBDII scanner so I'll just erase the code myself and see if the code stays off or starts up again.

Any news on what happened with the above mentioned or anyone else?

#4 ·
BTW, are your gas caps rock solid or do they have a little play? Mine rattles a bit when I shake it. Also, how hard/how many clicks do you guys tighten it? :)

#5 ·
czechT698 said:
BTW, are your gas caps rock solid or do they have a little play? Mine rattles a bit when I shake it. Also, how hard/how many clicks do you guys tighten it? :)
Fairly solid, hardly no play in either the stocker I just pulled off or the aftermarket $6 I just put on.

They have a ratchet system on both so it's not possible to over tighten so feel free to spin it till you're happy ;)

#6 ·
Btw for an update, erased the code and another 40+ miles so far and no light returning yet so I believe I have that issue nipped in the butt. 8)

#7 ·
So basically the gas cap can be a real gremlin... mine has a little play when out (unscrewed). Ill replace it just to be sure. Thanks for your reply... BTW hope you got the pics!

#8 ·
I did sir they look great, Thank You! If you need any help posting them up let me know, I haven't checked for them on the forum yet. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.